1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead Positivity Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MamaGrimes, May 18, 2016.

1. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    There is a reason we all participate in this fandom and are members of this forum.

Once upon a time we fell in love with a show about Zombies and it reached a part of us that most TV shows do not.

[​IMG]
    Perhaps we fell in love with the plot, the story of a man looking for his family. Perhaps we fell in love with the characters and their struggles to survive while retaining their humanity.
    [​IMG]

And, of course, perhaps many of us discovered a beautiful ship that captivated us, moved us, made us smile and made us cry.
    [​IMG]

This show is far from perfect but there are many other threads on this site to discuss those imperfections.

This thread is to discuss what we
    loved and love about this show. What is it that carried us through six seasons? What scenes or episodes do we re-watch? What characters are our ride or die? Who were the best villains? What makes this show the one we carve out chunks of our real life for?

This is a positivity thread so
    no criticism, no venting please. We are 100% salt free.

A low sodium diet is good for the heart.:hearts:

[​IMG]

Let the positivity begin!

#1 MamaGrimes, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  2. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    THANK YOU for this thread!!! We need positivity in these trying times LOL :laugh:

Reasons I LOVE TWD :
    1. I love the unexpected. I love guessing what will happen next since I don't read the comics and the show doesn't always stick to the comics.
    2. I love Richonne. I love that in this show there's a beautiful love story, and the butterflies I get watching it all unfold lol.
    3. Watching Daryl made me a stronger person. I love him so much and I'm grateful for his character to be on tv.
    4. I love watching Rick change through the seasons and evolve into such a strong man.
    5. I love that despite walkers, starvation sometimes, crazy living people running around trying to hurt them, that TF never turns on each other, that's my favorite part of the show. That despite most people not being blood related they are all still a family.

3. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Thanks for being a source of light @MamaGrimes. You've been one of the greatest positive forces for me since getting involved with this fandom. I am happy to see you are continuing to carry the torch!!!

What do I LOVE about this show?

Well, I fell in love with Rick pretty quickly. Before I even found him to be hot/attractive, I fell in love with his struggle, his fortitude and his flaws. Then season 3 happened and well.....:trash:. I have loved Rick and I have HATED him for some of his actions, but, he is human. I think the fact that he could elicit such a strong response from me, both positive and negative, is a testament to how powerful Rick is as a character, and Andy as an actor.

I fell in love with Michonne in season 4 after she held Judith. Before that, she was "cool" with me, but seeing her in that vulnerable state, that is when Michonne became REAL to me. I've loved her unwavering ever since. I think I love her more every day and I blame Danai for that. I'm kind of obsessed with her. She is one of the most compelling and exciting people I've had exposure to. I freaking love her.

I love Maggie and Glenn. They are so sweet and their love has only grown stronger as their story has progressed. That is as great an example of true love as you can get. They are each other's rock, their heart. They are individually strong, but a forced to be reckoned with together.

Abe makes me laugh. Sasha intrigues me. Carol worries me. Morgan confuses me. Gabriel encourages me, Daryl frustrates me and Carl gives me hope for their future (he is the future).

Each of these characters DOES something to me though. Good, bad they pull an emotion from me. I can't say that about most of the other shows I have watched in the past. This one has some sort of magic formula. Even when I want to bang my head against a wall at times, it inevitably pulls my back in and I forgive tptb for all their sins (see: Richonne canon and bed scene- Gimple was my favorite human for a while there).

This show pulls at my heartstrings. If I didn't love it, I wouldn't allow that to happen.

4. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Thank you so much for this thread @MamaGrimes ! I'll be back to post some love for the show later

lovingdead and MamaGrimes like this.
  5. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    110% agreed. There are so many shows with more enriching stories that I can never get into fully like TWD because I can't give two shits about the characters (good or bad).

First and foremost, I LOVE the characters of this show. It's what drew me in, and it's what keeps me going. I'm a sucker for Sci fi/fantasy, ensemble, character driven tales. A story about different people banning together, surviving and becoming a family? Yeah, I was in.

Thanks Mama for creating this. Sometimes I need a reminder why I'm here.

6. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    • From the very first scene of the first episode, I was emotionally invested in the story of Rick Grimes (which is the primary reason I still watch the show)
    • The relationship of Rick/Shane
    • I love the diversity of the show (race, gender, age, etc...oh and personalities too), that I can watch TWD and say "Hey, that person looks like me" or "If I was in the ZA that would so be me....or that is the person who I wish I could be"
    • The unexpected emotional moments, for example, feeling something for the death of characters who I never really cared for in the first (Beth, Lori, Tyreese)
    • Richonne ,in my opinion, is the best comic to tv remix this show has ever done (so far); the show has done a beautiful job crafting the friends to lovers story of Rick and Michonne
    • Seasons 1 -3, I really loved the interactions/relationships between the survivors; they just felt real...authentic ---I love the idea of creating bonds/ a family with people who, under "normal" circumstances you wouldn't even take a second glance at
    • I love the exploration of gray areas; not everything is black and white when it come to dealing with the threat of both humans and walkers (this can sometimes become repetitive, but there has been many times where the show has done this well)
    • I love the strong sense of community within the TWD fandom (podcasts, social media,blogs); live tweeting the show with other fans enhances my watching experience, makes it more enjoyable and fun

7. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I was drawn into the story from the moment Rick and Shane were talking in their police car. I loved getting to know the group at the Quarry and how they were dealing with the ZA. I love Carol for the strong women she has become. The minute she gave Ed the dirty look sitting around the fire I feel in love with her. [​IMG] Melissa pulled me in with her eyes and her spirit and her love for Carol. And i was hooked. She is the reason I try to be a good person. Then I saw Daryl and feel in love with his no shits to give attitude. He has come along way from the first time we saw him. He makes me want to be a stronger person and to never give up. Then Carol and Daryl became friends and I feel in love with them as a duo. They are just perfect together and bring out the best in each other. I like something about each character. I may not love them or like them but can respect something about each one. This show has brought me out of my shell and taught we how to speak my mind and to not back down from what I believe in. I have meet some fantastic people that I would have never gotten to meet without the show. And that is the thing that makes me the happiest. We may not always agree on things but I respect everyone's love for their favs and that people will defend them and fight for them. I hope the show can get back to the way it was when it started out and what made us love it.

8. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    So happy this thread is here!!!

Katbird, tuswig, MamaGrimes and 2 others like this.
  9. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Thank YOU so much for this thread, @MamaGrimes! I so needed this. Will be back later with my list!

[​IMG]

Katbird, MamaGrimes and Danaisbestie like this.
  10. QueenTee

QueenTee Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    • What initially kept my attention was the story of Rick Grimes. I thought it was extremely moving to watch this man struggle to find his family while in the process of dealing with the world being overtaken by the dead. Rick is still one of the major reasons I'm still emotionally invested.
    • RICHONNE! There's really not much I can say. These two incredible characters found love in the most unimaginable circumstances and the journey has been more than amazing to watch.
    • Rick, Michonne and Carl are my ride or dies. I'll also add in Daryl, Maggie and Sasha (I have a soft spot for them)
    • The escape this show provides. Every Sunday I get lost in this world, wondering how they're going to survive or how this will all end.
    • The relationships that have developed or that will develop on this show. I think it's very interesting to watch people who would have probably never interacted with one another before the apocalypse, now form such a strong bond, for example, Rick and Daryl, Rick and Michonne or Daryl and Carol.
    • The emotional impact. This show hits hard when it comes to making you feel for a character. The ones that really come to mind are Sophia and Tyrese. Never cried so much while watching a show.
    • The acting! The actors and actresses on the show are really top notch. And Andrew, Lennie and Danai in particular are just mesmerizing! They dominate every scene they're in! Maybe that's why my favorite episode was "Clear" :laugh:

#10 QueenTee, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  11. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    TWD, oh how I love thee...let me count the ways...

1.The characters. I have never been so emotionally attached to fictional characters in my life. I'm even invested in the characters I don't like :lol: I love their stories and the way their stories are connected with each other. I mourn them when they die, I cheer for them, I get mad at them and feel their pain. (This really sounds crazy when I read it, I'm too far gone:lol:)

2.The cast. I love these people! They are just as invested in their characters and the show as we are in watching it. They give 100% all the time and really bring the emotional component and professionalism that is often missing from some genre shows. They are funny, intelligent, socially conscious and just really nice down to earth people. There doesn't seem to be any divas and they really do act like family:hearts:

3.The shows. Why am I still able to rewatch episodes I've seen a million times? It's crazy how many times I've watched Clear :lol: I love how this show combines drama, tension breaking comedy when you least expect it, action, suspense, romance, ...you name it. If you are looking for it, there is an episode with some combination of those elements in there. TWD is a one stop shop for all of your fictional TV needs or at least it is for mine :negan:

4.The music. I've discovered lots of new music on this show and they are great at using it to help deliver an emotional impact. The song they used for Hershel's episode still gets me every time I watch itD:

5. The writing. There is some high level writing and great storytelling on this show and it's not something I expected at all when I sat down to watch it. Love the dialogue and the unspoken dialogue between the characters, the one liners, the speeches and monologues..lots of good stuff in there.

6. The fandom. There are so many talented people in this fandom that just add to the overall experience of being a Walking Dead fan. From the fan art to the fan fiction to the hilarious memes to this forum. Being able to connect with other people that are as passionate about this show as I am helps me feel like I'm not so crazy after all :lol:

7. Finally...saving the best for last...Richonne. They already had me. I had already joined the church of Rick Grimes during the Nebraska episode. I had already decided Michonne was equal to Rick in my eyes plus everything I listed above so I really didnt need anything else to enjoy this show. Obviously with the chemistry jumping off the screen between my two favorite characters, I couldn't help but ship them in my heart. My head said it would probably never happen... and IT DID :maggie: and I'm still not over it. That one kiss STILL has me like :o: The way they crafted their relationship over several seasons isn't like anything I've seen before on TV and I can't get over how awesome it is to have a layered, complex, bw character hold the leading lady position on one of the most popular shows on television:flirt:

#TeamWalkingDead #RideorDie #Evenduringfilming and #HiatusHell :lol:

12. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    In the summer of 2013, my son forced me to watch a show about zombies and this happened....

[​IMG]

and I was done for. All of my preconceptions about the horror genre flew out the window as my heart broke for this man and I rooted for him to find his family and to survive and to find some happiness.

This show has given me so many moments, I've lost track of them. So many scenes, quotes, looks, feelings...
    • A father reuniting with his family.
    • A lawman trying to hold onto his morality and humanity until evil knocks on his doorstep.
    • A father telling his son that people die and he's going to die and his mom will die. I knew in my heart that those words were prophetic and this story would be tragic in the end, but I was hooked and committed to the journey.
    • A man killing his best friend in a moment of anguish and heartbreak.
    • A young boy witnessing his mother sacrifice her life to bring his baby sister into the world and then have to put her down.
    • A man's descent into madness brought on by grief
    • A redneck loner rising to hero status (yes I loved this guy seasons 1-3)
    • An abused housewife learning to become a valued soldier and fellow survivor
    • A woman who lost everything in the beginning and learned how to continue on, survive and open her heart to friendship, family and love again.
    • Two friends who share an immediate connection, learn to respect and support one another and in a year's time, through tragedy and healing, fall in love.
    • A group of survivors making it against all odds because they are stronger together than apart and I want so desperately for them all to live to the end. It's the knowledge that they won't, that we'll lose some along the way that keeps me tuning in every Sunday. I know my time with these characters will come to an end and I don't want to miss a moment I have with them.
    I created this thread for selfish reasons because I need a safe place to remind myself why I'm here. Thank you all for sharing your love for the show. I'll be returning here often through this hiatus and will be posting about my favorite episodes, scenes and characters later on.

Your company is greatly appreciated. I am so grateful for my brilliant, witty, insightful fellow fans and shippers!:holdheart:

13. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Were you two inside my head last night? Your words are mine. Thank you for sharing!

Let me return the love @Appetence...you know I've been a fan of yours since the 'other place' and am proud to share a seat at the table with you.

14. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I co-sign what everyone has said.

15. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I started watching TWD on Netflix, a few years back. Only the first two seasons were on there. I was instantly hooked and invested in Rick Grimes. Him trying to find his family, he and Morgan’s connection, Lori’s betrayal (not on purpose, but STILL), Shane’s unraveling sanity.

One thing I realized very quickly is that this story is NOT about zombies or the outbreak itself. At first, I kept wondering, LETS FIND THE CURE, PEOPLE. HOW ARE WE GOING TO FIND THE CURE??? But a possible cure is beside the point. It’s about the people and how they are coping with this new reality of life. More than likely, a cure will never be found. Or it will happen many decades from now.

I always tell people it’s a drama with zombies. Sometimes verging on The Young and Restless with Zombies, lol.

Richonne was definitely the highlight for me. I’ve seen the chemistry, how Michonne and the Grimes boys/Judith were always framed together, how RICK AND MICHONNE WERE BASICALLY ACTING LIKE HUSBAND AND WIFE for the better part of season 5. I will always give TPTB credit for taking such bold move (and yes, sadly, it IS bold, y’all) in making a white man and a dark-skinned black woman the leading couple on a show like this.

Overall, I’m looking forward to S7 and am staying positive that we’ll get back to TF being a tight unit again and handing Negan his ass.

16. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Amen to this!!

This show truly is groundbreaking with how it has handled interracial couples and I just love that facet. What other top rated show is out there with the white male lead in a relationship with a dark skinned WOC? It's really hard to come up with one. Most of the interracial couples are with light skinned women with very eurocentric features. But not our show....they didn't take the easy way and I respect them so much for it.

I also love how Kirkman wrote Jesus to be a badass ninja soldier who just happens to be gay. I hope we see more of Jesus in season 7 and I would love for him to be a part of Rick's inner circle.

Here are some of my favorite scenes and ones that I have on frequent re-watch. I actually watched the No Sanctuary one last night:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have many more scenes but I need to pace myself and will share later!

17. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    Some of our bullets are literally almost word for word... that's crazy, in the best way :)

Jenna Alaki, Katbird and MamaGrimes like this.
  18. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    What a lovely thought, Mama Grimes...why we watch and continue to watch a show that is seemingly about death, destruction, and despair. But, oh, nooo, it is sooo much more; so far away from what it appears to be about. I have enjoyed reading what all have posted here...brought tears to my eyes as always when remembering the story of all the characters that I/we have come to know and love. I will have to think a little bit to make coherent thoughts on why this show is so very special.. But, thank you so much.

Jenna Alaki and MamaGrimes like this.
  19. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

The list of characters you made and why you love them got me in my feels LOL, so so sweet. That's what I tell people who don't watch TWD, I tell them that the zombies/walkers are like 5% of the show it's really about the characters, the changes they go through and their evolution :)

20. Truthfully it's love

Truthfully it's love Life's candy and the sun's a ball of butter
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It's an honor seeing Danai & Andy, truly.

Jenna Alaki, MamaGrimes and Katbird like this.