1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead Positivity Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MamaGrimes, May 18, 2016.

1. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    Rick had me with his story since day one. He emotionally gripped me coming to terms with this new reality and searching for his loved ones. I am invested in Rick's evolution, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I also love TF despite their flaws and me wanting to time out a few sometimes. At the end of the day, they are a family.

I love Richonne and how subtle they were developed, but how ultimately romantic and sexy it is. They are the best ship ever.

I love that this show is horror, but the core is about way more than zombies, the people are the scariest element and everyone's inner struggles are what drives the drama.

2. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    One positivity for TWD is I'm happy they have hot characters i.e. Rick, Daryl, Dwight :)

Katbird likes this.
  3. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, to that!

4. Katbird

Walker Pets:
    I am very happy to be a TWD fan. I was so excited when I saw the first ads for the show; I really like zombie stories, (*Night of the Living Dead* is one of my favorite movies); found out it was Frank Darabont who was the creator (TV) and knew it would be good. After I saw Michael Rooker was in the cast, I usually try to see his projects...*Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer* is a movie I always ask others if they have seen, I was even more anxious to see it. (I know that will not be well received here, but I love him!) I knew Andrew Lincoln had been in *Love Actually* 'cause I like Chi Ejiofor and really like Lennie James. Knew the actor's face who played Dale...knew less than nothing about the GN. Well, I had noidea that six seasons later I would literally obsess over any minute detail of every frame and every syllable of dialogue and every look.

One of the things that made this show special for me, and there are many, was the characters. I was completely taken in by Rick. The way he reacted to the world "turning" made me want to see more. His story is as epic a tale as that of Odysseus's. Which brings me to the many references to the great works of literature. When *Things Fall Apart* continued to be mentioned, I had a full-on, lit-nerd spastic attack. I could hardly stand it. But, getting to see how the characters were able to piece themselves together again as individuals and then see them piece together a real family out of vastly different people from vastly different backgrounds was uplifting and inspiring. I couldn't get enough. I saw a man who had known only brokenness become whole, because people needed him...I saw a woman who was forced to live hidden, find her true self...I saw man who had wisdom, be guarded with that jewel and then, share it freely. And, the sharing of that jewel would expand to touch many...I saw a man, really still a boy, in many ways, grow strong and become his best self and never let the horror make him horrible...I saw a woman who had given up find a way to go on,...I saw what happens when you "turn" on the inside...I saw places where, what appears good, and wholesome, and safe is twisted and sad and soul-less...I saw a young girl sing when there was nothing to sing about, just 'cause it helped them forget for a little while and it made her daddy happy...I saw a boy be a man, even if he wasn't yet able to handle all that came with it...I saw a man with seemingly nothing to offer, offer all he had--himself, to give the one person he loved to the people who loved him (I have actually made myself cry)...so I have to stop. Seeing this story of a small town sheriff's deputy who becomes a hero, not because he wants to be, but because he has to be...has been unexpectedly profound. And, It is not about the zombies.

#24 Katbird, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  5. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I love that some of the characters are so flawed and human. And that they make mistakes but still keep going. They love each other despite their flaws. The fans could learn a lot from these characters.

6. CDCsuzy

CDCsuzy You will, I will
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Thank-you, as always MamaGrimes you are indeed the wind beneath our wings.

I have always been a fan of zombie movies much like others have said. When this show was first talked about I was excited to see it. But for some odd reason when I looked at the first episode, season one I was not interested, I don't know if my attentions where divided or what, but pretty much for the first season, I didn't really look at the show. My son however was looking at it and kept saying to me, "I can't believe you are not looking at TWD, it is so much a show you would like". So when the second season came around I committed myself to give it a try and have been a ride or die fan since.
    Rick is my anchor, I love his story, his heart, his spirit, his integrity, and last but not least his determination. He has changed over the seasons but he has such a spirit of loyalty to TF. Even during the end of season two when many of the "family" was not very confident about his leadership abilities he did not just gather his family and his meager belongings and leave, but he stayed with them under the Ricktatorship era, but with them nonetheless.

Season three: bought Michonne ( Danai) into my world. I am not a GN reader so all the characters were new to me. But, I fell in love with her. She was so strong and fearless, but you could tell that she was searching. During "Clear" I think she had an idea of what she was searching for and she was liking it.

Season four: bought , "You gonna stay a while", and I was like "I sure am". Rick and Michonne were a couple as far as I was concerned, but they needed a little help to figure it out. "Love is in the air"

Season five: there was a little road bump along the way, but no worries because our lovelies came clean and their love continued to blossom.

Season six: Rick and Michonne Forever - they needed each other
    I am now TWD/Richonne trash and I wouldn't have it any other way:hearts: I also like the other family members as well, but by now I know you know who my favorites are.

Jenna Alaki, Denie39, Katbird and 4 others like this.
  7. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    "The good the bad and the ugly.." ME TOO! Rick is human, not a superhero and his story, his evolution, is what compels me to tune in each week. And, oh hell yeah, Richonne IS truly the best ship ever. The show has built a beautiful love story with them and it's their story that made me join this wonderful fandom.

Aw thank you for the kind words! :holdheart:
    I LOVE your post and agree with so much of what you said. I love that Rick is your anchor. What a perfect way to describe our leading man and the captain of our ship. It's his story, after all, isn't it?

And, sure there are road bumps, and yes some misguided writing choices but, in the end, I still love this show and it's the only one that makes me CARE so very much for the characters who fight each week for survival. There is something very special about this story that I am still so invested in it going into it's SEVENTH season!

Thank you for your beautiful words Katbird. They're a wonderful reminder of all of the reasons we're here and still loving this show.
    [​IMG]

Jenna Alaki, CDCsuzy, Denie39 and 2 others like this.
  8. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    The cast of TWD is Great !

Katbird likes this.
  9. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    My love for the show stems from my love for the comics. What fascinated me to the story is its study of humanity has the world's crumble, along with it its institutions and social mores. Humans are strip naked to reveal their true nature, no more fucking pretenses. I also love Rick's struggle to not succumb to this fact, but realizing he has to give in to the darkness to keep what he loves intact.

Katbird likes this.
  10. Katbird

Walker Pets:
    When I read all these beautiful posts, my crybaby-self desolves into crocodile tears. All of our beloveds did what that odd-juxaposition, cryptic message Rick saw in the hospital suggested: "Don't dead; Open inside". or you become "Dead inside"...if you "don't open" (Wow, which side do I read/understand/live first?) Rick was the first to take that for his guide...whatever came to him as he went on his journey. He had to have help along the way, but, that is why he is able to risk the "open" part. He refused to be "dead inside" and that small little light kept the darkness at bay...helped him to stay "open". I am so glad there are others who see what I see in this story, so glad I found this forum. Thanks to all of you!

#30 Katbird, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Jenna Alaki likes this.
  11. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I very much appreciate this thread btw. Sometimes I get demoralized by the fandom's overt criticism of the show, which goes to show that I am still emotionally invested in it, that I still love it as much as I did, and that I am not yet ready to see it leave my screen. I have said goodbyes to many shows that are still broadcasted because I have lost my love for them, but seeing how I get defensive for TWD, I know that I have not lost it for that show.

12. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I love the show it is that plain and simple for me. I don't pay attention to what others say because no matter what I will always love the show. Do I love it 100% of the time, no because there is just not enough of Rick, Michonne, Carl and Judith for my taste, :)

chaundee, CDCsuzy and Katbird like this.
  13. Samuraiqueen

Samuraiqueen Searching for Sophia

Walker Pets:
    I don't know what to say, what hasn't been said. I think the reason why I've stuck with this show is the characters, well the character moments. I mean, I love the action and badassery, but that does not make a show. It can't sustain itself without developing characters and storylines, whether you like them or not. I just adore this show, and I will be devastated when it stops airing.

chaundee, Danaisbestie and Katbird like this.
  14. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Like right now I am so thankful for this site and Netflix (waiting, waiting for season 6 ...)

chaundee and Katbird like this.
  15. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Ah...this thread is such a balm for my soul....

Look, it comes down to this. I still love this show like I love my kids. I'm proud of it, excited by it, it makes me cry, laugh, smile and shake my hands in anger and frustration. Just like my kids do.

When you love something, you're invested, passionate about it and, yes, that can sometimes bring about major negative feelings.

What's the old saying? The opposite of love isn't hate but indifference? When we start to just not care, then it might be time to walk away.

But for now?

I still care about Rick and Michonne and those beautiful children they're trying to raise into adulthood.
    I still care about the good guys beating the bad and living to see another day.
    I still care about their ability to find love, joy and moments of happiness in a world gone bad.
    I still care about all of the compelling characters who remain, their stories that have yet to be told and remembering the characters who have left us.

We're due for some rain this weekend and you know what I do on rainy days?

Re-watch an episode or some favorite scenes of this crazy show. And I don't do that for anything else!

16. Katbird

Walker Pets:
    I so feel you on all of that! Happy watching!

Demme likes this.
  17. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This 1000%!!

18. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    One of my favorite shows is Major Crimes and the new season started Monday night. Tony Denison did an interview with KTLA in LA and I loved that he said, "we are the #1 rated cable show, but only when The Walking Dead is not on". So true.

chaundee, Katbird and Jenna Alaki like this.
  19. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki " I'm gonna try "
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Such a beautiful thread. Thank you all for your responses. I will need to gather my thoughts before I can respond. :hearts:

20. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki " I'm gonna try "
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I just watched the first 5 minutes of the opening episode for season 3 (pre-title credits scene). There was not one word of dialogue, not even music and yet it was so powerful!. Intense, gritty and showed how haggard our TF were and how frustrated our leading man Rick Grimes was (but yet their car is sparkling clean - Go Hyundai sponsorship :rickgrin:). One of the things I love about the Walking Dead is it's ability to communicate so much, with very little. I put this down to the fantastic actors, great camera shots and a whole lot of other stuff I can't put my finger on, which I'll just call TWD magic. :hearts:

Katbird likes this.