1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article The Walking Dead season 6, episode 14: "Twice As Far" is the worst episode in years

Discussion in '6x14: Twice as Far' started by MamaGrimes, Mar 22, 2016.

1. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    With only a handful of episodes left in its sixth season, The Walking Dead just unleashed its worst episode in ages. The show has probably produced worse episodes than this (though I can't think of one off the top of my head), but it hasn't aired one quite this bad since beforeScott M. Gimple took over as showrunner back at the start of season four.

On the one hand, that's a testament to what a fine job Gimple has done in keeping this particular ship steady. On the other, it's a testament to how much "Twice as Far" bites off and then completely fails to even begin to chew.

"Twice as Far" combines a bunch of different issues that all but ensure it will be a bad episode, and it unleashes them all within the same hour of TV. Here are just some of its many problems.

Read the rest here

I guess I watched this episode like a general audience member and therefore enjoyed it a whole lot more than the reviewer did. Having said that, I kind of agreed with every point they made! Especially my pet peeve of telling and not showing!!

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  2. Lolololove3

Lolololove3 Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    Maybe he missed Slabtown and Now.

3. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This episode wasn't even close to being the worst of the season. That being said I agree with some of his points especially the last one. I keep forgiving the sloppiness in this show because in a way I can see what they were trying to do. A lot of these artsy decisions they make have potential of being amazing but always fall short somehow.

Eta: Denise shouldn't have been giving a speech when she died. She should have gotten killed while talking about her brother or some simpler conversation.

4. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Consider how this episode will move the plot forward and really good actors were highlighted: naw, son. Now and Still still take the title.

5. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    "Now" is, hands down, the worst episode this season. I wasn't wild about this one, but at least it moved the plot forward. However, this article did breakdown some of my complaints about this episode far better than I could have. The structure was weird and didn't really work, but yeah, I gotta hand it to the show for trying.

This show's penchant for "telling" not "showing" is also beginning to irk me.

6. LunaFall

LunaFall Founder of The Bunker Bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    "Still" and "Now" definitely share the crown for Worst Ever Episodes.
    But I can't help but to agree on the points made... I was okay with the episode, but it felt like I was watching "Consumed" again. I enjoyed some character interactions, but ultimately a whole lot of nothing happened with a little humor and a couple of WTF moments thrown in.

Denise dying or even going on the run made little sense.... but I do understand her wanting to face the world she's living in - I get that... but the way she died was stupid and ultimately for no real reason other than shock factor.

MamaGrimes likes this.
  7. LunaFall

LunaFall Founder of The Bunker Bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm at 666 posts... just putting another one to change that, lol.

8. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    For me, it was just a HUGE letdown when comparing to the GN. Don't get me wrong, I loathe the GN. I only read it so I know what to expect. But that was a very iconic moment, and they were trying to make it more than it needed to be (i.e. Denise gets the bolt right at the end of the speech). I normally don't mind a remixed version, but sometimes I just need the show to play the iconic moments straight from the GN.

Disappointing? Yes. Worst? Nah.

MamaGrimes likes this.
  9. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    [​IMG]

10. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Well I may as well pull a :orly: and parrot: Um did he see "Now"?

Even as someone who was fiery ball of Daryl rage and could barely look at his face that night I can't say it was the worst. It wasn't great by any means, but it wasn't the worst. I think Merritt's performance saved it from being the worst for me. I love when people rag on Daryl-heavy episodes though.

I agree that Denise's death was over the top. Standing around giving a big speech about life and then she dies? What made Abe's death so shocking was that he was just walking along, having a normal conversation with Eugene and then BAM! I was on edge the whole episode because I figured it was going to come randomly at any moment, I should've realized they'd take a heavy-handed approach.

The show always tells instead of shows...if I harped on that point any longer I'd die from lack of oxygen.

LunaFall likes this.
  11. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Ok, I ain't like the episode for reasons, but NOW still takes the cake... I mean come on bruh. You reaching.

12. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki " I'm gonna try "
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I had rated this episode an 8 and wouldn't call it the worst (but I still haven't decided what my worst ep is yet). However, the article did well to articulate some of the things that probably made it feel like it had an unreached potential.

Interestingly, the writer for this episode, "Matt Negrete" is the same one that wrote some of the episodes I have seen others state as their worst, e.g. Slab Town and Consumed. He also wrote Indifference, Inmates, Spend and Start to Finish.

13. Joan Holloway

Joan Holloway Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    Now?
    Still?
    Consumed?
    Slabtown?
    6A as a whole?
    This episode definitely lagged (and I'm very pissed over denise dying) but I didn't hate it. Maybe because dwight was trying to kill daryl made up for it a little.

14. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I think I rated this episode a 7. Abraham and Eugene made the episode for me. I find those two so hilarious. But I wasn't even really watching the Denise, Daryl and Rosita stuff they were an awkward team and Denise was acting ridiculous up until 5 minutes before she got got. I didnt think it was a bad episode but any episodes lacking Rick, Richonne and Carl get a -3 points for me unless they are excellent.

15. JBody

JBody Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Mic. Drop.

This is PRECISELY my first reaction upon reading the title thread.

Lolololove3 likes this.
  16. JBody

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Lots more filler episodes to add to the list before this one. Are they expecting Shakespeare?

What about the two bottle eps in 4a devoted to a big bad who should've died in the S3 finale? Speaking of which, that was quite underwhelming. Arrow on the Doorpost: more treading water. Most of 6a, the Grady arc.... No. This past ep was ok. Not stellar work but it moved stuff + thangs along which is more than can be said for the other dishonourable mentions here.

Bazooka Jane likes this.
  17. richonneromance

richonneromance Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    I don't think they're saying that those other episodes aren't bad, just that this one is a recent stinker when we've had a bunch of good ones.

SevenStars likes this.
  18. JBody

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Hmmm. Yes, I see your point. But I think 6a was mostly terrible and that's pretty recent. Good ones are the exception to the rule now, which is why I find it odd that this ep in particular is singled out as the worst one in years. I don't agree with that assessment.