1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article 'The Walking Dead' Season 6, Episode 15 Review (Forbes)

Discussion in '6x15: East' started by LunaFall, Mar 28, 2016.

1. LunaFall

LunaFall Founder of The Bunker Bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    An excerpt:

The Walking Dead
    continues to build toward the sixth season’s dramatic finale in Sunday night’s episode “East” (which may be a bit of a nod to the fact that today is Easter.)

And while the episode was filled with good, tense action and some nice character development, it falls into a Walking Dead trap we’ve all become far too familiar with.

Not long ago, I wrote a post (and made a video) called ‘The 5 Biggest Problems With Season 6 Of ‘The Walking Dead.’ In it, I discussed what I believe are the major shortcomings of AMC’s zombie drama, though I’ve thought of at least one more since then. (More on that another time.)

Number two on the list dealt with characters acting out of character to further the plot, or force dramatic tension or unfortunate events. That, in a nutshell, is tonight’s episode. Two characters both act, if not entirely out of character, far more stupid and selfish than their characters would reasonably act.

Daryl takes off after Dwight and Dwight’s crew, apparently to get revenge for the death of Denise, a character he barely knew. I do understand his desire for revenge, and I know Daryl is a hot-headed character. Nevertheless, going after five or six armed opponents by yourself is stupid and reckless even by Daryl’s standards.

The rest of the article can be read here.

#1 LunaFall, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  2. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Thanks @LunaFall! This review could've been written by one of us! I swear some of these critics lurk on our site. All great points and I especially loved how they called out Dwight and co's magical ability to appear at will and trap our favorites. These last few episodes really have been just moving the characters into place, hasn't it? With little care as to how they get there.

Jerusha Crystian and LunaFall like this.
  3. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I’m excited for next week’s 90-minute finale, but I go into it annoyed by how forced this entire setup feels. From the initial attack on Negan’s people, to this latest series of ambushes, The Walking Dead remains more concerned with getting from point A to point B than it is with giving us believable characters in believable dire straits.

I was happy to see some more of Rick and Michonne’s new relationship, if only briefly. As I’ve said before, I want to see these relationships develop rather than simply appear and disappear at random.
    Is he me?

4. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    :lol:

I agree with him about how forced the setup for the finale is. As someone who loved how sudden and random it was in the comic it's especially frustrating. Gimple is making things 10 times harder than they have to be and he's not pulling it off. The setup is coming off pointless and contrived, it's going to cause the situation to lose ALL the shock value it had in the comic and that really saddens me.

I can't wait to watch everyone and their grandma tear Gimple a new one come next week.

5. michrick

michrick Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I totally agree with his Carol remarks. I keep thinking her crying and hyperventilating is just an act! It's so out of character for her after all this time. They can have her contemplate her behavior or develop the whole "i can't kill anymore" conscious without her having a visible emotional breakdown every time. I keep hoping it's an act. I mean I just watched JSS again where Carol coldly tells Sam Get over it. It happened. Let it go.

Now Carol is about to fall out every time she has to kill to protect herself?? I understand her being fed up with killing but the writers could have portrayed it in a different way.

6. CrownRoyale

CrownRoyale Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    Whoever this dude is, he's spot on with everything that he said. I didn't enjoy last night's episode, but that's because I hate it when people make illogical knee jerk decisions. I was watching the episode with my brother, speaking to point number 2, and we both had a negative reaction to Glenn and Michonne stopping to have a conversation in the middle of the woods, which is the same reaction that I had last week when Denise decided to give a speech on the train tracks. I don't understand Gimple, or all of the people around him. Do these people not know what good television looks like? I'm not looking forward to the finale, I was going to stay away from the spoilers for 5.16, but now my mindset is fuck it.

ThinkingOutLoud and WalkerVoodoo like this.
  7. Truthfully it's love

Truthfully it's love Life's candy and the sun's a ball of butter
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    no, he believes the crying is real. he just agrees that it't to sudden and OOC.

michrick likes this.
  8. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Carol's crying is real though...so was her hyperventilating. I thought that was made clear? She was tough during JSS but she cried after. Everyone gets off on Rambo Carol so much, they don't pay attention to the emotional toll it has taken on her and they dont remember this was a broken woman from the start. Everyone thinks Carol is strong because she kills when killing is the easiest thing to do in the ZA. The hard stuff...the emotional shit...she sucks at. She didn't grieve her daughter's death, she didn't leave Ed..she just got lucky in the fact that he died.

After every killing, she breaks down...Karen and David, Lizzie, Terminus (she tried to run away but Daryl caught her also watch her in Consumed...she is not ok)JSS, and Same Boat. Idk how much more the writers can show Carol not being ok with it without having her turn to the camera and say "I hate all this killing shit":carol: Morgan is the only one that saw right through her from the beginning. He saw how she was playing a role and also said to her in JSS "you don't like it" about the killing. She didn't correct him.

Daryl has always been stupid and a hot head...being in Rick's group and his respect for him as his brother and leader has tempered it but he's also never been in a situation where he was betrayed and his own stupidity caused someone in his group to die. I don't think you can say for sure what a character would do in a situation they haven't been faced with. Add to the fact, he's been stewing over the loss of his bike and crossbow since it happened only to get it back in the worst way.

I do agree Gimple is doing the most to get to the Negan lineup. They could have easily just had Maggie get sick and get caught going to Hilltop and had Rick and everyone come to negotiate Gleggie's release. They could have still done the Carol side Story and then used the remaining time for character stuff with others in the group. Would have been better than everyone running around looking for 2 selfish people that peaced out on Alexandria in a time of crisis

9. michrick

Walker Pets:
    Right. I know her crying was real.... I'm just saying it seems too much and over the top. Like it is an act even though it's not.

10. michrick

Walker Pets:
    Yea I agree with that for real.

Truthfully it's love likes this.
  11. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I think the crying is mostly awards bait, not really about the characterization of Carol.

The first time was good but now it just looks stupid.

12. Joan Holloway

Joan Holloway Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    So many reviewers/podcasters are tearing this episode apart! Some know about the rumored cliffhanger and are threatening to quit the show. I can't help finding all the backlash entertaining.

13. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think Gimple is getting a little heat already because he thanked somebody on twitter for not yelling at him. He has no idea what's coming if he pulls a cliffhanger for the finale, the dragging he will get will be ridiculous.

14. LunaFall

LunaFall Founder of The Bunker Bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Agreed. There isn't really any standpoint where it would make sense to end the finale on a cliffhanger... not even money.

Cliffhanger until October? Lose hype over the summer, people that were mad about the Glenn fake-out won't stand for it and people are already voicing that they would quit the show if the cliffhanger happened... lose viewers, lose fans, lose money. There wasn't a need to try and hook people like this: people have been talking about Negan for years - even more so after they revealed JDM snagged the role (they had to after they were lambasted for "Now"). People have been waiting for his arrival and for that moment to come to life.... why do this a third time in the same season when it failed twice? Maybe our common sense business minds are different...idk

They were still filming when the backlash for Dumpstergate happened... there was plenty of time to fix it between then and now (if it does end in a cliffhanger). Even with the backlash for the MSF/MSP being dragged out... there was time to fix it.

Filming spoilers will reveal who Negan killed well before the show is back on the air in October and it won't stay a secret... b/c lbr, AMC isn't going to pay someone to pretend they're still filming.

#14 LunaFall, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  15. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I understand that Glenn is the one who is killed by Negan in the comic. I know there was a whole bunch of maneuvering just to get the pieces in place for that; and it did feel a bit amateurish and silly. But, the creative people involved with the show have always said the two, show and comic, are totally different. Isn't it possible that they will let him live? (Sniff,sniff). I cannot bear the loss of one of the Atlanta Five!! They have to do something else. And, I know that Carol is unstable in the comic and kills herself. Do you guys think she will step between Negan and his victim (Glenn or Daryl) and shoot herself with her "sleeve" gun?...I know she can't kill big baddie before he gets there good, but...well, idk. I don't want her to die, either...she's one of the Atlanta Five! Just, no, please, no!

Lickidesplit likes this.
  16. michrick

Walker Pets:
    I'm not ready for any of the Atlanta 5 (Michonne too) to die. I think it may be Daryl. Andy L was so bothered by the script from his previous statements so it makes me think it could be Norman because they are extremely close. The main cast members who have released a statement about the finale seems upset by it so it makes me think it will be an original cast member. I'm trying to avoid spoilers. I've never read them before but i"m so anxious now...it's like I can't take it and need to prepare!

Katbird likes this.