1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Tired of the argument "the group doesn't care about Carol"

Discussion in 'Carol / Melissa McBride' started by Doctor Grimes, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I keep seeing some arguments around that the group "doesn't care about Carol."

Oh really?

Words said by the man who apparently "hates" her since he banished her:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (source)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    (source)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (source)

The hate is just brimming off the screen...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (source)

Words said by a woman who Carol didn't trust with the gun plot:
    [​IMG]
    (source)

Words (and actions) done by a man who is hated for defending himself when Carol attacked him:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (source)

Maggie asking Carol if she's okay:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (source)

Daryl asking Carol if she's okay and hugging her:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (source)

And, besides, last I checked her parting letter to them said this:

I wish it didn't have to end, not this way. It was never my intention to hurt you, but it's how it has to be. We have so much here-- people, food, medicine, walls, everything we need to live. But what we have other people want, too, and that will never change. If we survive this threat and it's not over, another one will be back to take its place, to take what we have. I love you all here. I do. And I'd have to kill for you. And I can't. I won't. Rick sent me away and I wasn't ever gonna come back, but everything happened and I wound up staying. But I can't anymore. I can't love anyone because I can't kill for anyone. So I'm going, like I always should have. Don't come after me, please.

And guess who went after her anyway? Even though she told them not to?

[​IMG]

Yeah, the two people that fans of Carol love most! [/sarcasm]

Does no one remember Rick saying this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (source)

And Morgan saying --

[​IMG]
    (source)

Of course not. Because, you know, Rick = Satan. Morgan = Satan.

But, yeah, no one cares about her. At all. Nope! :sasha:

I know what Carol is going through sucks. Depression is a bitch. But stop this narrative the group "doesn't care." It's a lord of horse shit.

2. anya7890

anya7890 Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    Oh my god this post is everything, thank you for posting it @Doctor Grimes , ugh that this whole thing of the group doesn't care about Carol is such bullshit, like I'm sorry the group isn't sitting around wondering what happens to a perfectly capable survivor, like it's not like they been busy grieving for their family members who skulls were bashed in by a smiling lunatic or anything.

3. I'mStillWithYou

I'mStillWithYou Richonne Trash
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Maybe for some it's stemming from saltiness that Carol has only been shown 2/8 episodes this half season. Previous seasons we've seen her a lot more and it's usual on the seeing her a little bit too much end of the spectrum. This season has its issues, but I'm glad that we aren't solely focusing on one person all the time and that may lead to this no one cares about Carol crap. Did these same people not hear her tell Morgan the last episode to not disclose her location to anyone she knows, namely the group? Um, that reeks a bit more of Carol not caring about the group more than the other way around.

4. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I think people are being defensive and projecting because all signs point to Carol prioritizing her own mental health over the group.

I'm here for Carol taking some time for herself and my main annoyance is everyone's desire to rescue someone who not only doesn't need rescuing but wants to have some time to herself. I think Carol is very stubborn and people crowding her just makes her more determined to disconnect.

5. Kordas

Kordas Den Mother
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It's obvious that this group hates Carol almost as much as Andy hates Danai.

6. Mullet of Denial

Mullet of Denial Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Doc showing up like:

[​IMG]

DRAG. THESE. FOOLS. :mwhaha:

7. Kordas

Kordas Den Mother
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Although I do agree that someone from Alexandria should have mentioned Carol and Morgan this season. They are missing for about a week now. We should've at least gotten a line of dialogue from Rick about how he hopes Morgan found Carol and they're both fine.

8. KatanaQueen

KatanaQueen Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    This topic has been festering on my mind for a while now, since 6B actually. The funny thing is, I cant think of any other character on this show who gets their ass kissed like Carol. I remeber the complaints about Rick when he stopped looking for her last season as if the man didnt compliment her by calling her a force of nature or the fact that he didnt want to stop looking for her in the first place. TF is now dealing with a tyrannical psychopath who is killing people left and right while Carol is chilling in a house talking about how she doesnt want to be found and I wholeheartedly support her decision. Rick and co have bigger things to worry about than a woman who doesnt even want to be around them.

I honestly think that some of her fans are so far up her ass that they think everyone on the show should be too.

Same thing goes for Daryl because some of them have been complaining that TF doesnt care about him either (as if Michonne, Glenn, and Rosita didnt get kidnapped because they were worried about him). But I digress.

9. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Sometimes the fandom truly does a character a disservice. Falsely propping up a character by villifying others does the character no good as it only promotes resentment and anger towards that character from those who are not fans/stans.

There is no evidence whatsoever that TF doesn't care about Carol as Doc's brilliant OP clearly showed.

What I care most about regarding this topic is how Carol feels. How does canon TV Carol feel about TF's perception towards her? From everything we've seen, Carol knows Rick and her family love her and that's why she clearly stated for them not to follow her. Morgan most likely told her that Rick helped him search and she most likely got frustrated that Rick put his neck out there for her when she said not to. Carol wants to be alone to work through her issues and is not weeping at the window wondering why her people aren't showing up magically at her doorstep.

If Carol is where she wants to be, doing what she wants to do, then her fans/stans should NOT project their own resentment of lack of airtime or lack of Caryl going canon on the rest of the characters.

10. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    Once again, a post of sheer beauty and brillance aaaanndddd with multiple receipts! Thank you @Doctor Grimes for this! Nothing more to add! Drag them HARD!!!!!
    :lol: ;):thumbsup::corn:
    I too am sick of this BS and it needs to stop! Carol wants to chill so let her do her! Some of her fans want TF to be all about her 24/7. But the interesting thing is she hasn't thought about them or even asked about them, meanwhile TF are getting killed, beaten up, stressed, mourning, and Rick is doing his dammdest to keep it all together and protect them under Negans sadistic thumb, while she is chillaxing reading a book, and having two men worried about her, being nice to her and catering to her. She doesn't have a care in the world, yet TF is supposed to put everything aside for her during THEIR time of mental crisis. Yeah..no..

#10 ALDGRichonneLover, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  11. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    The group cares about Carol. Carol doesn't want to be with the group at this point and time. That is obvious.

I personally take issue with the fact that Carol doesn't want to be with the group to this extent. Her lines the last episode were positively glacial. I don't know if the same Carol of the past 6 seasons would have said it. A pregnant Maggie and Judith are all in danger/on the line here. I just don't get it.

But, I do think there should have been a line of dialogue about Morgan and Carol...maybe even a toss away line that it would have been better if they don't come back than have to be forced to be under Negan's rule.

What are the writers doing? Its like Maggie and Beth all over again. Its just lazy writing in my opinion.

12. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Precisely. The dichotomy is sobering. Rick and Co. are dealing with an incredibly terrible threat right now, and Carol is getting served fruit by two men who clearly like and care for her (one of whom is enamored) while she reads books by a fire.

Yet the group is supposed to be spending time out of their Hellish existence to ponder what has become of Carol? When they're haunted by what Negan will do to them next?

As @Kordas and @AbsoluteTrash said, it is lazy not one line of dialogue has been said about Carol or Morgan from the ASZ people, but I don't think the writers are under the impression Carol and Morgan's whereabouts are more important than what is happening presently to those still around them.

I agree. Carol is where she wants to be right now, she doesn't want to be bothered, and she's working things out. The group would just be a distraction from her healing process.

It just boggles me that the group failing to mention her or look for her makes some believe the group "doesn't care" when we've seen evidence for the contrary time and time again. Just because Carl and Rick haven't spoken this season doesn't mean Rick doesn't care about his kid. Some things are just assumed from prior interactions.

13. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    If this is the case then cry me a river. :lol: We've all had to deal with our faves getting the short end of the stick in one way or another and I don't remember anyone spouting bullshit the way Carol stans do.
    [​IMG]

7x08 made it crystal clear. Carol wouldn't have mentioned TF coming to look for her if she thought they didn't give a shit about her. Even given her fractured mental state and her want of being isolated she still believes there's a good chance someone would come looking for her.

14. zahira

zahira Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I think that the argument "the group doesn't care about Carol", and the Rick, Morgan hate comes by Carylers the most. Because why no hate Daryl ? Daryl seems good without Carol and doesn't care that much about her . But they don't hate him. They just want Caryl to happen and are jealous that Gleggie and Richonne happened.
    And to be honest, Rick and co care about Carol very much but "Sunshine" ! if Carol run away from her family all the time, how they can show her love ?
    [​IMG]

15. Walkingonsunshine

Walkingonsunshine One of the good things
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This is just the tip of the iceberg. Season 1 the women spoke up for her when Ed was getting abusive at the Quarry and Shane then beat him senseless. Season 2 was all about finding Sophia. Season 3 T-Dogg sacrificed his life for her and the group celebrated when Daryl found her alive. In season 5 Rick told her that we are now joining 'you' when they reunited in Strangers. If anything the group has shown more care about Carol than anyone else.

I also just disagree with ppl saying that Carol did not feel a part of the group anymore because of the banishment. Even before the banishment it was clear she already felt like a fringe member of the group because she did the most behind the group's back (i.e. teaching the kids about knives, Kavid, telling Andrea on the low to kill the Governor, telling Daryl in season 2 that they should leave the group). She seemed to feel the need to do things outside of the group and on the low instead of asking anyone for any advice or agreement. So to say that it was Rick's banishment that made her feel like she wasn't a part of TF is just not accurate.

16. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Sorry but TF has a wee bit of a problem right now, THEY ARE TRYING TO STAY ALIVE and keep people in their community alive from a raving lunatic and his crazy followers. Two of their family members were horribly killed in front of them, then Rick was taken on the RV ride from hell and made to almost cut his son's arm off. So excuse me all to hell if they have not voiced anything about Carol. But not voicing it does not mean they are not thinking about her.

Like @Clutterbuck said, Cry me a River. If they can't see from all the receipts that @Doctor Grimes posted that TF does care about her then I have to wonder about them.

17. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Good point...I'm positive most of the ire is from Carylers so let's make the events clear since the show loves to stretch out several days over the course of a HALF SEASON which is very confusing to viewers.

• Carol left overnight in 6x15, the same episode Daryl left to look for Dwight. He left without knowing Carol had run away.
    • Glen and Abe die later that night and Daryl is taken captive.
    • Daryl becomes a bit busy getting the 'torture' treatment and the focus of his arc is surviving Negan. Could they have put a thought bubble above his head stating....'I wonder if Carol, who is safe behind the walls at ASZ misses me?' Sure, they could have done that but it would have been stupid.
    • Fast forward to the MSF and Daryl escapes, STILL thinking Carol is safe and sound at ASZ (Carl and he didn't get a chance to chit chat in 7x7) and only reunites with Rick and the rest at the very end.

Based on the 7x9 promo, TF and Daryl visit the Kingdom where I'm sure there will be some mention of Carol.

So....when exactly was Daryl supposed to worry about Carol?

18. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    You know the answer to that. Instead of hugging Rick for dear life and giving him Kevin back he should have asked Rick about Carol. :sadmaggie:

19. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I was going to say that as well. Of any character on this show, the group has shown more care about Carol than anyone else - even Carl who is just a kid.

So hearing people say the group doesn't care about her is irritating as piss.

20. Riko813

Riko813 Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Carol doesn't want a family yet and until she truly in her heart discovers that she truly wants to be a family with TF she will never be at home with them or anyone else. Yes Carol cares about TF but she doesn't see them as anything other than a burden and obligation. People she needs to protect and rescue. She doesn't see them as an integral part of her existence and happiness. They are not yet her home internally deep down in her soul. Hopefully one day she will truly wake up and discover her home and her family is where they are.

Secondly, I still think she is salty about being banished from the prison. Somewhere down deep in her soul she still feels that since they didn't want me then, I am not going to let myself want or need them. She shut herself off from them and the wall is still there. She needs to break down her walls.

Thirdly, Carol has not been there to experience TF's deepest painful episodes as a family. She wasn't there to experience the fall of the prison or the death of Hershel. She wasn't there to experience the immense pain of watching Glen and Abraham being beaten to death in front of their eyes and then experience living under Negan's thumb of terror. She came at the last minute to aid in their escape of the Termites but she wasn't there experiencing the deaths of Tyrese or Bob at the hands of the Terminus people. She wasn't there at their lowest periods. She wasn't there when they had been beaten down so low and had to find the strength to rise up again together stronger. Every hardship TF goes through strengthens their familial bonds.