1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article TWD Midseason Finale Ratings Fall From 2015

Discussion in '7x08: Hearts Still Beating' started by Mullet of Lies, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Mullet of Lies

Mullet of Lies In Red Swim Trunks We Trust
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Well then... :harold:

The winter finale of The Walking Dead saw the highest rated show on television get a real bite taken out of it on a very competitive Sunday night – at least compared to the last four years

With 10.58 million total viewers, the Season 7 90-minute “Hearts Still Beating” episode was basically even with TWD’s December 4 1-hour show. However, it was the lowest any TWD winter finale has done since 2012 and down 24% from the 1-hour Season 6 winter finale of November 29 last year – which was the second most watched midseason ender in the history of the AMC blockbuster based on Robert Kirkman’s comics.

The “Start To Finish” episode had a 7.0 rating among adults 18-49s while “Hearts Still Beating” took a 27% demo fall to a 5.1 result –which is up 4% from last week. While TWD has tackled Sunday Night Football on a number of occasions on over the past few seasons, December 11 was not one of them.

After kicking off with near record ratings and the much anticipated revelation of who of the core characters would die at Negan’s barbwire wrapped bat, TWD has hit a series of lows over the past several episodes in Live + Same Day...

As an example, the December 4 “Sing Me A Song” episode went up 42% in L+3 viewership to 15 million viewers from its L+SD results, which was actually a 5% bop up from the delayed viewing results of the week before. In the key demo, where TWD casts a long shadow, that penultimate episode of 2016 went up 47% in L+3 to 9.4 million viewers. That was pretty steady with the “Swear” episode L+3 demo rating, lifting 6%.

All of which puts more focus than usual on the February 12 return of part 2 of TWD Season 7.
    Source from Deadline

2. Mullet of Lies

Mullet of Lies In Red Swim Trunks We Trust
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  3. Valerie

Valerie Professional procrastinator....
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    :eek: wow I thought it was going to be better. I guess people were not kidding when they said they were done with the show.

gmc_vitamind, C-Ben, winter and 3 others like this.
  4. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This doesn't surprise me one bit. 7a fell flat after the premiere and the ratings have reflected the poor reception. My hope is that the viewers that deemed this show not-must-see TV will catch up over the hiatus and will be enticed to check back in due to the uplifting ending of the MSF.

I truly hope Gimple & Co. have had several come to :jesus: meetings this past month or two in order to figure out how to right their ship so that it doesn't continue to take on water in season 8.

We know what the answer is and it's simple. Tell us stories about the characters we actually care about. Have them interact. Remind the audience who Rick Grimes is since he's the guy who compelled everyone to watch in first damn place.

#TeamFamilyRise

5. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yes, exactly! Let's hope TPTB know this answer now, too.

I'm so sorry the ratings weren't better since I think this was a great episode. But Negan is not working for people. I hope the viewers who walked away read about 7x09 when it airs and decide to return to the show.

6. Joan Holloway

Joan Holloway Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    With 10.58 million total viewers, the Season 7 90-minute “Hearts Still Beating” episode was basically even with TWD’s December 4 one-hour show. However, it was the lowest any TWD winter finale has done since 2012 and down 24% from the one-hour Season 6 winter finale of November 29 last year – which was the second most watched midseason ender in the history of the AMC blockbuster based on Robert Kirkman’s comics.
    The “Start To Finish” episode had a 7.0 rating among adults 18-49s while “Hearts Still Beating” took a 27% demo fall to a 5.1 result –which is up 4% from last week. While TWD has tackled Sunday Night Football on a number of occasions over the past few seasons, December 11 was not one of them. At 7.7 the fast affiliates of the New York Giants 10-7 win over the Dallas Cowboys was a season high for SNF. Later numbers brought the dramatic game’s total viewership to a crushing 25.6 million. AKA – the best any primetime NFL game has done on any network this season so far and the best Week 14 audience the NFL has had since 1989.

the rest at the source

lovingdead likes this.
  7. Gekari

Gekari Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    100% :harold:

I was hoping something better too.Well, WW has nothing to with ratings then :lol:

AMC cannot ignore the numbers anymore.

8. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    AMC and the show runners have underestimated how much the GA not the comicbook stans love Rick Grimes and follow HIS story. Pushing Negan at the expense of Rick had put people off .

Also the GA are smart, they have seen all the tricks Gimple, Kirkman and AMC has pulled with promoting team family and then making the episode Negan, Negan, effin Negan.

They also underestimated how much Glenn was loved as a character and were annoyed which was seen by the backlash of dumpstergate, yet in desperation to be 'edgy' killed him off without a decent storyline lead up for him

Personally I think it was episode 4 that turned the GA away from the show. They should have kept the comic storyline of Rick playing possum that would have gone down better. AMC thought they could drag this out 8 episodes and the GA would put up with it.

Rick, Michonne, Maggie,Daryl and Carol are the heart of this show and equal focus needs to be on these core characters. The GA are invested in them only.

You can't have a show which generates 12million viewers each week for 6 years and then shift the focus and promotional content to Negan.

Turning out new promotional images with team family for 7B was done too late.

Also we know the actors love their job and love each other but I don't feel like they themselves have enjoyed this season and the storyline.

I think after the death of Olivia another innocent the ratings for 7x09 will be a series low.I mean why get invested in anyone?

9. Cherish

Cherish Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
  10. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This is so sad. On one hand I feel vindicated in my dislike and disappointment in the character choices and direction the show has gone this season. But I also love this show and the actors and crew so I want to see them succeed, its unfortunate that the hubris of TPTB have gotten in the way of that. I hope that season 7b is much better. I get the impression that its a return to form. Unfortunately I'm not sure if viewers are willing to give the show another chance.

11. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  12. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    No Rick, No TWD .

13. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    WOW. I was actually expecting a better percentage myself.... I hope they get it together soon.

Really, really soon.

msbold1, lovingdead and MamaGrimes like this.
  14. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    This!!!

This whole notion that someone has to die is so stupid, as though the death in itself replaces good story telling.
    What we are left being broken hearted and bored!!! Like season 7A.

15. winter

winter Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    This is a good summary of why the ratings have declined. AMC needs to hire you!

lovingdead and coffeebean like this.
  16. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Kirkman lost the plot when he killed Glenn in the GN, it was stupid and perfunctory. Negan is passable in the GN but when we start getting into the Whisperers ...I draw the line at idiocy.

It is clear that Kirkman ran out of steam long ago in the GNs and now is just using hype and shocking deaths to keep his pulp fiction selling. At the end of the day I want to see a reasonable conclusion. It may not be perfect or rosy but there needs to be some civilisation.

I hesitate to add that I think the Trump victory is also putting people off of this show it was okay seeing a fascist dictator on screen but now that we might have to live with one may be too much art imitating life.

17. Flower1petals

Flower1petals Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    I really hope the back half plays as good as it sounds like it will. Since this season is already done and in the bag, hopefully when the writers come back to the table for season 8, they realize people don't like to be played with, and see people dying, just for the sake of it. Olivia's death did nothing for the story.

@Mullet of Lies, your sig..... :hearts:

#17 Flower1petals, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  18. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I worry the shit ratings will do nothing. We learned after the CH that Gimple, Kirkman, and TPTB will bury their heads in the sand and blame the audience instead of their own wrong doings. Plus, I imagine the writing for S8 is already under way, if not pretty much done, so it might be too late.

I don't see a massive turn around for TWD. They will continue to shove Negan down our throats, Rick will keep Negan alive, and people will continue to check out. It isn't just *one* thing they need to fix, or two, but a gigantic list. To use one of their favorites quotes - they're "too far gone".

Buuut I did want the ratings to improve, despite all of that. :lol: I hate this damn show but I also watch this damn show...watching it tank is no fun. :ogg:

19. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    People are speculating that Rosita will die because she's gotten so much screentime this season, not because her character needs development, but because this is a pattern the show follows.:lol:

Bob-get more lines and romance with Sasha - dies
    Tyrease made to look like a cowardly lion - gets some story focus-dies
    Beth - gets a few bottle epsidoes - dies
    Olivia - get more focus in 7A and a throw away line from Michonne -dies
    Abe - gets the 'wants to settle down' storyline - dies

What makes it worse is AZ now only have Eric, Aaaron and Tobin left from the characters we met in 5B!

They clearly killed characters to trim down the actors but then go and add another new community

On a positive I hope to some more promotion of Andy, Danai and Melissa for 7B

20. QueenofPeace

QueenofPeace Guts.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    While I agree the lack of Rick is a HUGE problem, especially in 7A, I think in general people are jus tired after 7 seasons. TWD cannot stay on top forever. What show can? We were talking about tv shows in my office yesterday, and I was the only fan of the show left. One person has never seen it while the other two say they gave up a season or two ago, because the show feels endless and repetitive. I mean, after a while people move onto other "newer" or "more exciting" concepts and leave the familiar behind. As far as popularity goes, the show definitely peaked in season 5.