1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll TWD-RE-WATCH: TS-19 1X6

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by SevenStars, Jun 26, 2016.

?

What grade would you give 1x5 ?

This poll will close on Dec 26, 2018 at 6:27 PM.
  1. A

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. B

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jetamors

Jetamors Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I'm one of the Shane haters, but I actually do agree with this. I don't think he did anything wrong at the hospital.

SevenStars likes this.
  2. GrimesGurl

GrimesGurl Spooning with Rick
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    First I have to apologize for neglecting my membership. I was...ahem...spending a little too much time in the lower decks ;). I did just re-watch 1b

1. Based on the flash-back, do you think Shane made the right decision telling Lori that Rick was dead ?
    It was certainly the easiest thing for him to do, I don't know how right it was. I can understand him choosing to because if he told Lori that he left the hospital and Rick was still alive, even if in a coma, she would have wanted to go back to find Rick and probably would not have left for the refugee camp. More importantly though, Lori probably never would have forgiven Shane for leaving Rick behind and I think that was as big a motivation as anything else. As I've said before, I think Shane is an opportunist and he's coveted Lori for a long time. I think he saw this as his opportunity to have Lori and Carl. I do think that Shane loved Rick and their friendship was real, I just think that Shane has ulterior motives for everything he does.

2. What did you think of Dr. Jenner ?
    I really liked Dr. Jenner and thought he was likable and sympathetic. I felt so bad for him as described his wife and that he was only staying alive for her.

3. Did you agree or disagree with Dale's action in regard to Andrea ? Why?
    I don't disagree with his actions if Andrea meant that much to him. But I really respected what Andrea said to him in the next episode about taking her choice away and that he was really trying to save himself. That was one of the few times I really resonated with Andrea's character..

4. Do you think the writing for the women improved over the season?
    You could start to see distinct story lines starting to come through for each female character. Man, when Carol put the pick-ax to Ed's head, I could really feel all those years of abuse coming out! Carol was like F**K You ED! LOL! I thought the "goodbye" scene between Andrea and Amy was really beautifully written and really sad

5. Did this season improved upon re-watched or worst ?
    I've rewatched S1 so many times its hard to say if its improved but I did enjoy re-watching it.

6. 1.What would say was the theme of this season?
    Nothing is what it seems

3. Caribbeanqueen11

Caribbeanqueen11 Supplier of Mints
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    On my rewatch, I believe Shane knew he was alive BUT wasn't sure if he'd wake up. After the machines are shut off he waits, then he leaves the room looks back down the hall and checks back in the room one last time, I believe hoping Rick would wake up! I think he made the right call getting Lori & Carl out of there and I don't think she would have left if she had even a small hope that Rick would wake up AND most importantly if she did leave which I think she would have after she realized she was putting herself, Carl and Shane at risk by staying, she would have NOT slept with Shane because she knew her husband may be alive. I do think Shane should have told her the truth after they were away from Atlanta. This is where I believe his motivations are selfish. Yes she would have likely been pissed as all hell at him, even after the explanations and knowing there is little to nothing that she could do, as she would risk her sons life to return, BUT she would not have allowed herself (or opened herself up) to starting anything with Shane and I believe he knew it so he maintaned the lie.

Once they get to the CDC Shane has to try to cause even a small amount of doubt when he interrupts the meal to ask Jenner to tell them what's going on, his line to Rick "this is why we're here right, this was your move, we're supposed to find all the answers, instead we found him, found one man, why?" while this is a valid question and one they would all have eventually asked, IMO Shane's motivations for raising this is the fact that he still believes it was the wrong call and it is the second time in as many days where he calls Rick's decision into question.

The whole Rec room incident is just all kinds of wrong. He was continuing to force himself on her even when she told him to stop using the argument that she loved him. But for her scratching him he wouldn't have stopped. I have such issues with the fans who don't see this for what it was, attempted rape, period. I don't give a shit if he was "drunk", especially given his thought out explanations as to why he left Rick.

His statement that he thought Rick was dead also does not ring true to me, particularly given his actions as I noted before.

Jenner just pissed me off to no end. He works to try and make a difference and possibility find a cure, why? To save the human race, yet when he comes across people who want to try and take a chance to save themselves and their children (to preserve the human race) he tries to end their existence? It was just a stupid plotpoint that made no sense.

I am not going to repeat the whole Andrea/Dale crapfest as I agree with everyone else here.

The writing for the women hadn't changed much but you saw small glimmers of their future selves. Having lost her husband the day before, Carol seems to have a new lease on life. She seems light, smiling, and happy. Whereas Andrea seems consumed by her grief and hopelessness.

I believe the theme for this season was Choices:
    Rick's choice to go to Atlanta; Morgan's made the not to kill his walker and also made the choice whether he would leave with his son (and Rick) or stay; Glen' choice to rescue Rick; Shane's choice at leaving Rick and lying to Lori; Lori's choice to not tell Rick the truth; Rick's choice to save Merle or stay at the camp; Jim's choice to die on his terms, same with Jacqui; Andrea was upset at her choices being taken away by Dale; Jenner trying to take away their choices to live; the choice of where to go for possible safe havens; the family's choice to split from the group....

@SevenStars in your initial request you made a statement about wanting to compare the showrunners. FD was the showrunner for all of S1. If you'd rather I not comment on this please let me know and I won't. For now I'll put my comments based on the depositions and admittances after the lawsuit and wait for your comments as to whether you want me to continue.

There were many problems as I had noted in the filming spoilers thread and FD was fired in July, 2011. So everything up to 2.7 PMDA was FD and GM's episodes (as he confirmed ) began with Nebraska. Also note:
    • GM was the second most experienced (after his predecessor I think his name was Eglee, was fired by FD and was a writer/producer from Season 1 (note: SG began on TWD as a writer/producer from S2 E1 and was next in line after Mazzara);
    • At the end of the 1st Season FD fired the other writers (all of the writers, including Mazzara, he had recruited from the Wire, he only kept Mazzara who became his second);
    • FD also brought with him a number of his favoured actors, I'll name them by characters (Carol, Dale, Andrea, Morales, who also ALL starred in his film The Mist with Thomas Jane who played the lead, FD wanted TJ for the role of Rick but thankfully TJ was not available, so we got AL, yaaaaaay!!!);
    • FD loved the comic and wanted to follow it but with some (well a lot of add ins, like the CDC etc.; he had also promised LH that Andrea would be there through season 7 and beyond as Rick's love interest). These add-ins are allegedly a big part of his fall out with RK, because he was staying so far off the source material, with some side characters with entire back stories planned, he went into detail about his "plans" in a 2012 interview with Comics Alliance and let's just say I'm glad it did not pan out! LOL). I'll post some of the things he said below.
    • Frank Darabond liked to draw out his writing (ie character interaction, slowly building the story - GM confirms this and comments on FDs plan for a particularly important scene in a future episode which I think highlighted clearly the difference in the showrunners and, I believe, gives us a few answers, sorry to be cryptic but I want to stay on topic for this particular episode and those of you who've read up on the bts stuff already know the ins and outs)
    • There were a ton of issues between FD and AMC, mostly budget. Although he is a huge comic fan FD and RK had disagreements about FD's ideas as noted above and below,
    • FD wrote or co-wrote 4 of the 6 episodes;
    • He wanted to do reshooting for the finale of season 1, AMC refused to give him the budget or the time and he had to make due.
    FD comments during 2012 interview with the Comic Alliance on his planned stories for TWD before he was released:

[​IMG]
    I’ve remained a faithful devotee of AMC’s The Walking Dead television series since its record-breaking debut, but I’ll be the first to admit that the first half of the second season has been shaky, dominated by too little heartbreak and terror and far too much hemming and hawing over the search for a lost little girl. And with showrunner Frank Darabont’s departure this summer, I don’t have terribly high hopes for the season’s remaining episodes. Despite some hitches, the first season made it clear that Darabont understood the zombie-filled world that he’d been handed, and what made a long-running zombie comic book series written by Robert Kirkman such a brilliant idea...
    "Darabont recently revealed the stellar “Black Hawk Down with zombies” storyline he had planned for the second series premiere, a storyline his fallout with AMC kept from becoming a reality.

Actor Sam Witwer, who currently stars as the vampire Aidan in the Syfy remake of Being Human, recently revealed to HorrorHound (although the interview was posted by Paranormal Pop Culture) that he was, in fact, in the pilot episode of The Walking Dead, in an appearance meant to plant the seeds for that later storyline. If you’ve seen the pilot episode, you know that our hero, Rick, goes to Atlanta looking for his wife and son. When he’s set upon by a horde of the hungry undead, Rick climbs into an abandoned tank for shelter, only to find himself sharing quarters with a zombified soldier. It’s hard to tell under all that makeup decay, but that soldier is actually played by Witwer. Darabont’s plan, Witwer said, was “to tell a prequel story about how Atlanta fell, do ‘Black Hawk Down,’ but with zombies.”

You can hear Witwer’s fuming description below.

Ain’t It Cool News asked Darabont is he would confirm the storyline, and Darabont replied that not only was the prequel storyline in the works, he’d planned to open the second season with it. The episode would have followed an Army Ranger squad that gets trapped in the city as it is overrun by zombies. Here is how Darabont described the episode to AICN:

The idea was to do this with a very focused “you are there” documentary feel. Not going all shaky-cam, but still making it a bit rawer and grainier than the rest of the show. We’d start with a squad of maybe seven or eight soldiers being dropped into the city by chopper. They have map coordinates they need to get to; they’ve been told to report to a certain place to provide reinforcement. It’s not a special mission, it’s basically a housekeeping measure putting more boots on the ground to reinforce key intersections and installations throughout the city. And we follow this group from the moment the copter sets them down. All they have to do is travel maybe a dozen blocks, a simple journey, but what starts as a no-brainer scenario goes from “the city is being secured” to “holy shit, we’ve lost control, the world is ending.” Our squad gets blocked at every turn and are soon just trying to survive. I wanted to do a really tense, character-driven ensemble story as communications break down, supply lines are lost, escape routes are cut off, morale falls apart, leadership unravels, mutinies heat up, etc. (Yes, this approach owes a spiritual debt to a number of great films, including Walter Hill’s Southern Comfort.)

Darabont was also toying with the idea of reintroducing us to Andrea and Amy, showing us the very moment when Dale meets them by pulling them out of harm’s way. But the real genius is in the sad and unnerving ending Darabont had planned. The Rangers inevitably fall to the zombies, until Witwer’s character is the only one left alive. Unfortunately, by the time he reaches that now-familiar tank, he’s already been bitten. As he grows sicker, he considers pulling the pin out of a grenade and killing himself, but ultimately succumbs to his fever. Then, Darabont told AICN:

After the soldier dies this squalid, lonely death…and after a quiet lapse of time…we do a shot-for-shot reprise from the first episode of the first season: Rick comes scrambling into the tank to escape the horde…blows that zombie soldier’s brains out…now Rick’s trapped…fade out…the end.

Whew. What a chilling way to start a new season. It’s a very different brand of horror than we’re used to seeing in The Walking Dead; Meredith Woerner at io9 aptly described it as “straight out of the Twilight Zone.” But because it’s such a classic kind of horror, it would have fit in happily with all of the flesh-chewing and loved ones dying. And it’s amazing to think that Darabont had this planned from the very first episode.

Darabont says he had more episodes like this planned — “wild card” episodes, he called them — to give the series more of an anthology feel. (Honestly, that’s what I originally thought was going on with the CDC episode at the end of Season One, right up until Rick and company showed up on the researcher’s doorstep.) It’s a shame that when AMC lost Darabont, we all lost out on that kind of smart horror in our zombie show.

Read More: Frank Darabont Reveals the Brilliant ‘Walking Dead’ Episode We’ll Never See | http://comicsalliance.com/walking-dead-frank-darabont-sam-witwer-prequel/?trackback=tsmclip

#23 Caribbeanqueen11, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  4. Jetamors

Jetamors Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, I'd be really interested in hearing about some of the behind the scenes issues as we go through S2; I only know about it in vague terms.

SevenStars and Caribbeanqueen11 like this.
  5. Sasha's Living Room

Sasha's Living Room Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    somewhere with excessive air conditioning
    Wow. I expect I'll be alone on this but even though I've enjoyed his films in the past, I don't think I agreed with Darabont's vision for this show. Why keep straying from Rick's story just for special effects-laden remakes of war movies (and/or real life events)? Remember they can never reveal what caused the outbreak so it's not like we'd ever be learning anything new. It just sounds to me like high-budget filler, more about boosting "auteur" egos than advancing story or character. I need smarter development for the main storyline and its major and minor characters, not unnecessary movie remakes. Backing up and showing how Andrea and Amy met Dale could have worked though, like the later backtrack to show how Bob ended up with the prison group, or the flashbacks with Hershel after he died.