1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta TWD REWATCH CLUB: Days Gone bye 1x1

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by SevenStars, Jun 8, 2016.

1. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to our very first TWD Rewatch Club discussion.

Lets talk to each other, not at each other.
    Lets respect each others opinions even if we don't agree.
    And lets always remember this is suppose to be fun, so lets have some fun with this.

Here are the questions: Remember to post your response to these questions before reading others response.

1. What do you think was worst, waking up from a coma and finding out the world you know have ended or being a wake and watch as the world you known end before your eyes and there is nothing you or anyone can do about it?

2. What was it about this episode that made you want to watch the next one ?

3. What did you think of the way Rick was introduce to us?

4. What did you noticed was different from the last time you view this episodes ? ( This is a question I will asked in every episode post)

I will answer these questions myself later on and I can't wait to see your responses.

#1 SevenStars, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  2. SevenStars

Walker Pets:
    I just finished watching the episode and I can't believe how much I ENJOYED IT. It was so fun and entertaining to watch. There are so many things that I missed the first time. I honestly can't believe how much I missed and forgot.

I loved the episode because it felt like I was watching a suspenseful, horror movie but at the same time, the emotional beat to the scenes made it more. The way the writers took the time to show Morgan and Duane's pain was beautiful, touching and very moving. Once again, I have to bow at the feet of LJ when it comes to acting. I was crying with him when he was trying to talk himself into killing his wife. That was just incredible. Also the Duane actor was a really good little actor. I enjoyed him.

Rick is one lucky bastard. Because there are so many ways he could have been bite by a walker and died before he ever knew what was happening. Rick truly had a guardian angel keeping him safe until Morgan could take over the job.

Duane was a comic book fan, I didn’t noticed that before. When I saw it, it reminded me of the fact that Carl is also a comic reader. It seems like the writers during that time was trying to draw a direct parallel between Rick and Morgan.

I love the way Rick tried to convince the horse that it was a good idea for him to come to Atlanta too. Telling him that he was sure that there were other horses there too, like the horse wouldn’t come with him if there were not other horses there. Rick is freaking adorable.

I can’t believe how happy I got hearing Glenn’s voice on the radio. Precious, adorable Glenn.

1. What do you think was worst, waking up from a coma and finding out the world you know have ended or being a wake and watch as the world you known end before your eyes and there is nothing you or anyone can do about it?

I used to think that I would rather have ended-up like Rick, being asleep and waking-up after everything has happen because I thought it would be less painful to watch the world I know change so drastically in front of my eyes. But after watching this episode again, I'm leaning more towards being awake for it. Because watching Rick waking up and basically being like a person who was reborn into a new world, even in the way the he walks like a new-born baby learning to walk and explore the new world was kind of hard to watch while still remembering the old world. But it means that he will constantly be wondering if he is dreaming. When will this nightmare end? That can cause a person to spend the rest of their lives questioning their mental health. Because they have to constantly remind themselves that this new world is real, not a dream. Since they were not awake when things change, they might always be questioning the reality of the life they are living, therefore, making them always feel like they are crazy. This will deeply affect this person's mental health.

Watching this episode have giving me a new/better understanding of Rick's mental health and why sometimes it seems like he is not all there mentally. I used to think that it was all the people he lost and things that Rick had to do since he woke that caused him to be a little crazy sometimes but now I'm thinking that's only part of the reason. Him being in a coma and waking-up to a whole new world without any one he knew to explain it to him is probably one of the main reason why he is sometime mentally unstable.

So yeah, base on this episode, I would prefer to be awake.

The way writers handled the characters in their emotional moments. The way they gave the characters breathing room to feel and express their emotions. Therefore, making me feel for these characters and care enough to want to know what happens to them in the next episode.

I loved the way the writers introduce Rick as not a great husband but clearly a loving father. A man who has a great depth of humanity in the way that he went back to that walker he first find in the street, and gave that person peace. He didn't know who that walker was but he still felt it necessary to go out of his way to give this person peace. I used to think that Carl was the key to Rick's humanity but now I think, he is the key to keeping Rick's humanity in the forefront. But without Carl, Rick would still have his humanity, he would just bury it really deep.

4. What did you noticed was different from the last time you view this episodes ? ( This is a question I will asked in every episode post)

What I find different is Lori as a mother narrative. I find it interesting that Shane had to remind Lori that she needed to act better because of her son. Lori had to proclaim that she is a good Mom. She is doubting herself as a mother and she thinks Shane is too.

This is interesting to me because before when fans would call Lori a bad mother, I thought they were just hating on her, not that it was part of the narrative on the show. But now, I realize the writers were kind of framing it that. First by having Rick tell Shane how Lori stated that she sometimes believe that Rick didn’t love them, not her, but them including Carl in that statement in front of Carl. That is a really shitty thing for a anyone, especially a mother, to say to the father of her child in front of that child. Because her doing that, didn’t only hurt Rick but also Carl. I mean she purposely said something to hurt Rick, not caring that it would wound her son too. Because now her son have to go to school, and spend time wondering if his mother is right. Now Carl can always have on the back of his mind, the question of his father’s love for not only his mother but also himself.

I’m one of those fans who have always defending Lori when it comes to her being a good mother . This is one of the reasons that I don’t like reading fanfiction stories that is suppose to be base on canon that have Lori being a bad mother. But this first episode is making me start to wonder if I was wrong in my defense of her. So I’m looking forward to seeing what about the coming episodes that made me so defensive of Lori as a mother.

I so enjoyed watching this episode that I wanted to keep going. I didn't but I really wanted to. I'm so looking forward to watching the next episode Sunday.

BTW: I will post the poll for this episode in Sunday's thread because I thought I could edit this thread at anytime and add the poll. But that's not the case, so I will have us vote for this episode on Sunday instead of Friday.

#2 SevenStars, Jun 8, 2016
  3. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Waking up to dead flowers, a stopped clock, a deserted hospital? Oh my terror level would be at the highest of defcons and, yes, my first thought would be 'Where is my family?' Andy knocked this part out of the park. His grief while sobbing on the floor was visceral and, again, bonded us to him. Yeah, I'm going with waking up from a coma as being the worst.

[​IMG]
    I was hooked from this moment on.

That cold opening was epic....No music, no dialogue until the end with the 'Little girl....Little girl...' We're experiencing the end of the world through this man's eyes and it bonded us as viewers to him. Genius way to introduce us to this show and to this fantastic character.

Here are things that I noticed this go around:

There are dead people in the cars at the camp in the cold open before Rick shoots the little girl. Wouldn't they have turned?
    Why would Rick be out in the open like that after the robbers' car crashed? I get he thought they were dead but once the door opened, should he have run for cover? (well we wouldn't have a show if that happened..lol)
    Shane's southern accent is much better than Rick's. Poor Andy had to play catch up.
    Morgan walked right up to that walker and blew him away. He entered the show like a badass.
    If Morgan's wife died in the bed, how did she get outside as a walker? Did Morgan lead her out or she somehow found her way out when he and Duane weren't in the house?
    The sight of Rick riding into Atlanta on a horse gets me everytime.

Flower1petals, Silas, Katbird and 2 others like this.
  4. SevenStars

Walker Pets:
    After this episode, I'm with you on preferring to be awake when the world turn into hell.

Andy really was great in this episode. But the moments that got me wasn't him on the floor but him quietly and sadly trying to absorbed the new information that Morgan was giving him. Him walking around like a baby who just started to walk and is exploring the new world. These moments really got to me because of how mentally exhausting it must be I imagine to wake-up in this new world. Especially for Rick, whose body must also have been physically exhausted in a way.

That cold opening really was epic. It basically made us feel like we were right there with Rick because there was no sound to distract us, no real movement to distract us. Just Rick walking slowly trying to understand and explore the world, and it felTt like we were doing the same thing with him. It felt like a partnership type of thing between Rick and the viewer. That cold opening was a really smart decision.

Like I said in my post, Rick was one lucky bastard from start to finish.

JB did a much better accent than AL.

Morgan did enter the show like a bad ass. I enjoyed the introduction of Morgan.

Maybe when Morgan realized that he couldn't killed her, he decided to tie her up and put her out. Or lead her out like a animal using himself as a bait.

Rick and that horse was freaking adorable and I hated how it ended for the horse.

Flower1petals, Katbird and MamaGrimes like this.
  5. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    @SevenStars - Excellent catch on Lori reassuring herself that she's a good mother. I did notice it upon re-watch and it's extremely telling. This is a woman hanging on by a thread and she is surviving the best way she knows how but, yeah, definitely questioning her own abilities, even if it's subconscious. Shane was so sane and together in this episode. It makes me pine for 'what if'. God, could you imagine the team he and Rick would have made if he didn't lose his mind?

ReeciePiecey and Katbird like this.
  6. SevenStars

Walker Pets:
    I totally missed the Lori thing in the first watch but I catch it this time. The thing is that the writers, before we even met Lori, made us question her as a mother by having Rick tell Shane about what Lori did in front of Carl. They reinforce that idea by having Shane be the one to remind Lori that she is a mother, therefore, she needs to be more careful about her actions and words. Than they have Lori herself proclaiming that she is a good mother, and the way she did it, it was like she knew he didn't think she was and she herself doubt that she is a good mother. It seems like the writers were trying to tell us that this wasn't a Z.A thing, it was a Lori thing. Like they truly was framing it so that Lori being a good mother would be something that the audience had to question. Because everything is pointing to her not being as good a mother as we might want or expect. She is clearly a good person because she wanted to risked her life by going out there and putting up a sign to warn people about the danger in the city. But the question is, is she a good mother ? She wants to be, but is she?

As for Shane I noticed the difference but not the way you did. I used to think that Rick coming back is what drove Shane to become the way he was but I'm not sure after that scene with the group. He was already acting a like dictator even before Rick showed up. He was already acting like he was the only grown up in the group, who knows best, therefore, everyone better listen to him. I think it's the cop in him that made him that way but also fear. He was running on fear because he had this group of people that he had unexpectedly become the leader of, while he himself was just learning how to survive the new world.

But I do agree that him and Rick might have made a good team in the long-run.

Watching this episode have made me question a lot of things.

#6 SevenStars, Jun 8, 2016
  7. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Great questions

1. To watch things fall apart, see the end of things, would kill me. It would break my heart to watch people break. Tbh, I don't think I would be one of those not to break...I probably would.
    2. I didn't know Morgan wouldn't be back....that story, too much. OMG, I had forgotten how intense that whole thing was with Morgan and Jenny. I cry every time I watch him try to end it for her. (Love Lennie James) He, their story, was one of the main reasons I wanted to watch again, heartbreaking. And, I wondered about the person who called Rick a "dumbass". But, I wanted to know about the guy who went back to end it for that " body" in the park. He was so moved by her. I knew I would like him.
    3. It was a gripping way to give us the lead male character. The scenes were tied together well. He sees/shoots the little girl, his talk with Shane (it always makes he laugh), the shooting, the hospital. Each time, I learned a little more about who he was, who we were getting to know. I liked him right away.
    4.How desolate everything was. Those crows, knew they were there and important imagery, but, it was really pretty ominous seeing those crows at every turn.. I was glad to be reminded that Lori was fiesty, she challenged Shane. I was glad to be reminded of that. Morgan looking at the photos, trying to make the reality solid in his mind, create a stark contrast between whoJenny was and what she had become. He still couldn't do it. He called her "baby". It was terrible.

8. SevenStars

Walker Pets:
    1.It would break my heart too which is why I used to prefer to have been like Rick, in a coma when it happened. But watching this episode makes me realize how damaging it would be to my mental health. So that makes me think that it would be better to have my heart break, my spirit break but at least have my mental health in order to keep moving on in this world.

2. Morgan story truly was a great introduction to the show because along with Rick scenes, it showed us that this show wouldn't just be a horror show that shock and scared us. But something that would also emotionally affect us.

I catch the crows thing too when I watched this time. It was very telling of what was to come.

Yeah, Morgan looking at Jenny's picture to remind him of who she was and who she isn't now, was painful.

#8 SevenStars, Jun 8, 2016
    Flower1petals and Katbird like this.
  9. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    1. What do you think was worst, waking up from a coma and finding out the world you know have ended or being a wake and watch as the world you known end before your eyes and there is nothing you or anyone can do about it? Waking up in a hospital, man. Imagine all the shit running through his head. I would be the person that thought I was the only person left alive and I'd probably off myself before I even thought to look for my family. The others at least had time to become somewhat accustomed to it, Rick was just thrown in to sink or swim and he had no idea how deep the water was.

2. What was it about this episode that made you want to watch the next one ? Their approach to a ZA. Like some else posted, when Rick says he's sorry this happened to Bicycle Girl, you realize how very human it all is. The walkers weren't just random monsters. They were Morgan's wife and happy old married couples with pet horses.

3. What did you think of the way Rick was introduce to us? 5 Stars, would recommend. I've always loved how slow, calm, and quiet the opening is. I miss the moments like that so bad it hurts, rewatching hurt my soul y'all.

4. What did you noticed was different from the last time you view this episodes ? ( This is a question I will asked in every episode post) Honestly? Not a whole lot. I've watched the pilot more than any human probably should. Sometimes I'll just watch it with no intentions to go further, like it's own little movie.

Rick's accent was a lot different back then. I think Bernthal pulled it off easier because it matches his natural dialect pretty damn well. I gotta say, the scene where Rick is walking out of the hospital and is surrounded by dead bodies, and you realize the magnitude of his situation, it hits me in the gut every time. Those shots never get old. I'd love to see more of that...large shots that really give you an idea of how much damage has been done to society. Now we just see woods and ... woods.

Shane does come off harsh by the radio, but I think that's his general "I'm in charge" cop attitude. I have a feeling, much like Rick, people just naturally looked to him when the quarry group got together and sometimes I just see him as a young man drowning in the duties thrust upon him. Also, I wouldn't mind knowing more of the quarry group's background. It's a thought I have everytime I watch. How far did Shane get these people? How long were they together? Is Shane's early leadership a factor in why he was a "man ahead of his time"? It'd be interesting to see what all went down before Rick walked onto the scene there. Seriously, how the hell did any one of them ever decide they wanted Merle in their group?

10. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    "I'm sorry this happened to you.". What heart felt words. He feels things so deeply. He is a poet trapped in a deputy's body. I hadn't made that connection before. How he can speak such emotion-filled words. He to!d Shane, Lori wanted him to speak more but was impatient with him expressing himself. They obviously couldn't talk intimate!y to each other, or it ended up that way? What a wonderful insight into how he works out his world. I wonder why it made her uncomfortable?

11. SevenStars

Walker Pets:
    I would have loved to have seen a flashback episode focus on their back stories. How these group of people decided to come together and stay together ?

Flower1petals, MamaGrimes and Katbird like this.
  12. Flower1petals

Flower1petals Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    Wow. I haven't rewatched any ep before Michonne came in season 3. They are so young looking/sounding.

1. Both scenarios terrify me. I usually live my life by not stressing about things I can not change. Sort of a 'whats done is done'. But waking up to that and being alone and not having any idea of what's happening or not knowing where your family is would scare the crap out of me. At least if your awake while it's happening, your still with the ones you love (hopefully) and not alone.

2. Everything about this ep made me want to see the next one. It was so good for being a pilot. The suspense with Rick getting surrounded, you weren't sure if he was going to make it or not. And now with the tank surrounded, you have to stay tuned to see how he makes it out.I wasn't a comic book reader at the time so I went in this fresh. I was hooked right from the jump. Made me want to watch the next one right now. Lol

3. For me I wish they would have just started the show with him in the hospital with a flashback to how he got there. I just didn't think the opening sequence was necessary. It didn't do anything for me because it didn't go back to it. At what point of his journey to Atlanta did that happen? I loved everything about him meeting Morgan. I would have thought Morgan was crazy at first. Rick just took what he said, and ran with it. He didn't ask too many questions.

4. I hate to say this, but I didn't find AL attractive on my first watch. Not until later seasons. He just became more manly, and sexier, the crazier he got (I don't know what that says about me though). Now looking back I find him adorable, but I think that's because of the man I know he becomes.

Lori was a b*tch from the start. Her second line! "A lot of good it's been doing-ugh Just reinforced my dislike for her character. I don't miss her at all.
    How long was Rick at the hospital? Couldn't have been longer than two months. Lori/Shane already messing around. I didn't really think about it before. And they were comfortable with it. Makes me think it was starting before. Imo

AL's acting has gotten better over time. Not he was bad (I haven't seen him in anything but love actually, before this) but I have to say, when he was crying out for Lori on the floor of his home, I wasn't moved except for when he was patting the floor trying to figure out if this was real. Now he can kill me with a glance.

The walkers have drastically improved over the years. They probably had a really limited budget to work with, not knowing how well the show would do.

That's it for now. Hope this makes sense, because I'm typing as I think. Usually I have to write my thoughts done and check them over or its gibberish.

#12 Flower1petals, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Maria200, SevenStars and MamaGrimes like this.
  13. Caribbeanqueen11

Caribbeanqueen11 Supplier of Mints
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I loved this episode. It truly paid homage to the comics but maintained its originality. Darabond did an excellent job with the direction and there were some little nuances I caught this time around which I'll talk about after the questions.

1. @SevenStars I agree with you. I would rather be awake and watch things fall apart. As traumatic as that would be, I would have an opportunity to learn what was happening and see the breakdown in real time, as hard as it would be I would at least know what was happening, the risks, what not to do etc. Most importantly I would (hopefully) be able to be with some if not most of my family. Contrast this with waking up to a completely different, frightening world, not knowing what these things were, whether it was a disease that could be cured, whether there is some way to communicate, all things any normal everyday person would try to decipher, not knowing that they would attack. Not only would this be jarring, I'd likely get bitten the minute I walk out of the hospital! LOL. I would also constantly question my sanity or wonder whether I was still in a coma, or perhaps died and THAT was my hell.

2. For me it was the cold open. It was so beautifully done, the utter desolation, the quiet, the sense of dread., I forgot how caught up I got in those opening moments. The clincher for me, as with others, was the "I'm sorry this happened to you" from Rick. The added bonus of spectacular acting by LJ was I think what made the critics stand up and take notice that "this was not a show about zombies". The actress that played Jennie and the little actor that played Duane were excellent. The way the actress moved, with a small pause at each movement was chilling. I am a huge fan of this genre and admit she gave me nightmares. Her step onto the first step of the porch, her walk towards the door, the way her eyes stare towards the peephole instinctively, her glance down towards the door handle and turning it in a sense/memory type recognition was a great call back to Romero's zombies which I'll touch more on later.

3. I loved the way Rick was introduced. Within the first 15 minutes we were given a glimpse into his troubled marriage, his devotion to his wife and child regardless of their difficulties, his compassion, his strength and his bravery. FD did an amazing job of connecting the audience to this character immediately and AL was just WOW!

4. I noticed a number of things:
    • I had always thought the issue in their marriage was one of Ricks lack of communication, however I've revised my opinion on this a bit. In his discussion with Shane about communicating with Lori, Rick said "the thing is, lately whenever I try, everything I say makes her impatient, like she didn't want to hear it after all. It's like she's pissed at me all the time and I don't know why." I believe Lori was just unhappy in her marriage and at that point everything he did pissed her off. It went a hell of a lot deeper than communication issues.
    • Shane's only focus was Lori & Carl, he didn't care about putting up signs for Atlanta, as long as Lori and Carl was with him, he was not about to go out of his way for anyone. when the CB radio came on Dale had to tell him to get on it "as he knew how to work it". Shane was standing right there yet he made no rush to answer the distress call until urged to by Dale. I wonder if Dale hadn't told him to if he'd have stood there and watch Amy struggle with it. Yes he had an axe in his hand but he was standing right there! Shane was in love with Lori and there was no going back. It was either Rick OR Shane surviving - no other option IMO
    • It's been about six weeks (according to Morgan) at least since the power went down (given how quickly it happened in Fear, I'd say total of 7 to 8 weeks). Lori and Shane were very familiar so they had been hitting it quite frequently. This did not seem to be a new thing and I wonder how long it took them before they started sleeping together.
    • Darabont's walkers were more terrifying. They could climb tanks, turn doors and were faster and more agile. They also seemed to retain some sense/memory as I noted with Jennie. The little girl in the cold open picks up her Teddy Bear; Jenny looking towards the peephole and turning the door handle to open the door; the walkers sitting in the bus as if waiting to be taken to a destination.
    • The flies have not been very prominent since Darabont's season 1. I'll have to keep an eye out for this once we start on Season 2, but this imagery helps to give the audience the sense of how awful the stench of rotting corpse must be, it was one of my first thoughts as I watched the episode and saw and heard the flies around the bodies.
    • Rick's sexy jaw clench and slight head tilt made its first appearance when he glanced into the paddock and saw the horse. He glances away then quickly back and does the thang <sigh>
    I'm sure I'll think of more but I've gotta get to bed!

#13 Caribbeanqueen11, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  14. chaundee

chaundee Walker Bait
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    First let me say that when I started watching this show I knew absolutely nothing about it. I had never heard of it or picked up a comic book (never planned to). My sister came home from school one day told me how all of her friends were talking about it and saying how good it was. Bored one day I started watching on Netflix. I have been hooked ever since that first episode. Doing this re-watch has already shown me that TWD goes a lot deeper than what it appears on the surface. After years of watching this show I have realized that, but when I first started watching I had no idea. This is helping me watch the show (from the beginning) in a different, and I think, better way.

I think waking up from a coma and finding out that the world has ended would be better than actually watching everything and everyone you love die around you. Watching the world fall apart and being helpless to do anything about it would leave me with nothing to hope for. I fear I might just give up. What is interesting to me, is how long I have been watching this show and I have never thought about this before. Certainly not about myself or how I would deal with death and destruction on an apocalyptic level. Of course I could never be sure how I would handle this situation, but I would like to think that waking up one day from a coma and the world (as you knew it) gone, while still traumatizing just might be a little easier to handle. Not actually seeing the world die around you still leaves a little hope. Right???

Days Gone Bye is one of my top 5 favorite episodes.J The thing about this episode that kept me watching the show was my immediate curiosity about what kind of show and what kind of story this was. The episode was able to keep my interest (very important) and left me excited for what was next. I liked Rick’s introduction to us. Looking at it now it is even better than I thought it was then. The little zombie girl still grosses me out. They did a great job on her appearance.

Watching the episode now I can tell that Rick has a British accent and of course is trying to hide it. I am ashamed and embarrassed to say that I had no idea he was British until a couple years ago. In my defense I was not the kind of fan that I am now. I also never realized that the zombie Rick shoots (Leon) at the police station when he is with Morgan & Dwayne is one of the cops from the shooting. Again I can’t believe I never caught that.

15. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    Waking up alone would have done me in. I could not have been as strong as Rick and pushed forward into that bleak, mysterious unknown. I would have questioned my sanity like him but may have never come back to being lucid. I think in that moment Rick isn't sure if he is dead and in hell or insane.

So many things. Rick just inspires such empathy. He was so well intentioned and driven. Despite almost having a break from sanity he pulls himself together and is up for the challenge of making it alone with one goal in mind. Rick could have just stayed in the hospital or stayed with Morgan. A weaker man would have but he was determined and knew he may not make it but at least he tried. This is him already showing the inner strength to be a leader. An average man could not have done what he did. He is also so gentle and you see his romantic spirit. You knew he wasn't going to just be a badass. This man has a soul. Contrast this with Shane who has all the bravado and the survivalist instinct, but pre-ZA kind of seemed like a dick. I'm glad we see this because Rick was always the better man even though he had to grow into being a fierce warrior.

The reveal of Shane/Lori made me cringe and want to see what was up. I can see comfort sex but they both moved on awful quick and were hella comfy. It just seemed so low rent to me.

Glenn's voice made the next episode a must see.

I love Rick's introduction because they didn't make him this action hero badass. He is practical and you really see his adaptation skills. He is a keen learner and observer. He was meant to be able to handle this world. Someone up-thread mentioned he had a guardian angel and I never looked at it that way but I now agree. There is a reason THIS MAN is meant to survive. And again Rick's heart is made crystal clear. You feel for this man. He is adorable and you trust him to do the right thing.

The directorial style is way different than what we have now for sure. Everyone has pretty much touched upon most of the differences. I did not like the music at the end, haha. It took me out of their world. Also some moments don't flow smoothly, like when Rick puts the gun to his head, apologizes to his family and then just jumps back into survival mode. It wasn't paced right and is confusing. I do like the epic horror feel produced by showing the gravity of the situation in various visual landscapes.

16. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Thanks for doing this. I never watched the show live until season 5b, so all my viewing has come from the marathons on AMC or from watching on Netflix. But here goes:

1. I think it would be worse to wake up from a coma to find out the world has gone to shit. Actually the way the show started we were basically finding out that something was very, very wrong but we did not know what. We were right there with Rick.

2. I wanted to see the next episode because I wanted to find out how in hell Rick was going to get out of that tank and who in the hell was talking to him.

3. I was glad that we got to see a little of what Rick was like before the world went to shit. We also got to see his friendship with Shane. Even though he seemed very unhappy with his home life he still loved his wife.

4. Actually this was only the second time I have watched this episode and I liked it as much as the first time I watched it.

My thoughts on this are that I really loved that he met Morgan and Duane, I loved that Morgan was the one to tell him what was happening and told him about the headshot being the only way to stop the undead. I loved his compassion in looking for that undead woman in the park and putting her out of her misery. And I loved him riding into Atlanta on the horse.

17. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Here are the questions: Remember to post your response to these questions before reading others response.

1. What do you think was worst, waking up from a coma and finding out the world you know have ended or being a wake and watch as the world you known end before your eyes and there is nothing you or anyone can do about it? Waking up and thinking you're the last person on Earth, that is before meeting Duane and Morgan, must be the worst feeling ever. Leaving that room, seeing that half-eaten dead body, the door that said "Don't Open, Dead Inside", then going outside and seeing all these dead bodies and the military gear strewn all over the field, along with the hospital being destroyed in some spots must have been a rude awakening for Rick. So yeah, I prefer to be like the cast of Fear The Walking Dead and see it with my eyes

2. What was it about this episode that made you want to watch the next one ? I wanted to see how Rick was going to get out of this mess. I also wanted to see how/if he was going to see his family. It was love at first sight for me when it came to TWD. I was hooked

3. What did you think of the way Rick was introduce to us? Still one of the best opening for a TV show that I ever watched.

4. What did you noticed was different from the last time you view this episodes ? ( This is a question I will asked in every episode post) Never realized the clock had stood still! Which leads me to ask how did Rick survived that long if the machines he was hooked on ceased to function???

I will answer these questions myself later on and I can't wait to see your responses.

SevenStars and MamaGrimes like this.
  18. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I forgot to add one thing I noticed this time was Rick's reluctance to join in saying grace before their meal. I am not sure of Rick's religious beliefs at this time but you see him questioning addressing God at that moment. Either he wasn't a believer before or he doesn't believe anymore because of the ZA based on his reaction. He goes along with it out of respect for Morgan and his son's convictons and to avoid drama.

19. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I always liked the look of the earlier walkers too. They were creepier and now they're so rotted that they don't even feel like a threat. I realize they're aging the walkers as time goes by but even the fresh ones don't look as cool anymore. The little girl clutching the teddy bear was more disturbing, imo, because she still resembled a little girl instead of just a rotting corpse on two legs. I remember a scene in Terminus, there's a shot where Rick shoots a zombified Termite and the dude looked like he'd been a walker for a few months, not a few minutes.

Katbird, SevenStars and MamaGrimes like this.
  20. SevenStars

Walker Pets:
    This is my first rewatch too, so it's really fun to going back.

You brought up a great point about Lori that I too noticed. I forgot that Lori used to question Shane's decisions as a leader, like she knows and could do better than him as a leader. It's interesting to see how Shane shut her down.

Also, the comfort level between Lori and Shane in that tent does raise some questions because like you said, there was something a little too comfortable about the way they acted as lovers. It was like they have been together for yrs, not weeks since Rick died. It didn't feel like two people trying to forget the people they love by being together. It felt like two people who were together before the Z.A.

But the question is ,how close were Lori and Shane before the Z.A ? Was Shane just Lori's husband bff or did he also had a close relationship with Lori. If they had a close relationship before the Z.A happened that might explain why they seems so comfortable with each other in an intimate way. In a way that implied that they were in this relationship for longer than a few weeks.

I think this is what bothers me most about the whole Shane/Lori relationship. It's not that they got together so soon after Rick supposedly die but the way they interacted with each other.