1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta TWD REWATCH CLUB: Days Gone bye 1x1

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by SevenStars, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think people can forget how big of a deal their situation was and how we can't compare it to real life standards. Everything they have known was gone, completely MIA and not coming back. Their families were dead, their neighbors probably tried to eat them. No hospitals, no schools, no army, nada. Considering their circumstances I think it's right to assume they'd cling onto each other. They were all either of them had left of their old world, something that would bond people probably really, really quickly in such extreme circumstances.

Plus, I dunno, I like to assume Shane probably already seen them as family before the ZA. Him and Rick had known each other since high school so I doubt he wasn't comfortable with Rick's wife and son.

ReeciePiecey, Katbird and Canuckgirl like this.
  2. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I too didn't really know anything about this show when I first started watching it. I didn't know it was base on a comic book. I just knew that it was popular because I heard some people talking about it. It wasn't until I got Netflix and I was done with Breaking Bad and I loved BB so much that I decided to give TWD a chance.

I used to feel the same way you did. But now, watching it again, all I kept thinking is the mental damage that all this was doing to him because he went too sleep in one world and woke-up in another without any familiar faces around him to keep him grounded. All he sees are death and destruction all around him.

But I think it would give someone like him more hope for the future because if you didn't see the destruction, all you did was wake-up in it, then your last memory of the world will be of the way it used to be unlike someone who watched in changed, therefore, they are left with the memory of it changing, not the way it was. That would give someone like Rick more hope and believe that things could change back again unlike someone like Shane who saw it happened.

Join the party because I didn't know AL was British either until a couple of yrs ago when I happened upon an interview with him on youtube. I just thought his accent was weird but I don't live in the south, never been in the south and only a few encounter with people from the south. So I stupidly thought it was just me being unfamiliar with some of the south's accent, not that AL accent was really bad, lol.

3. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    For me the time frame and the closeness are important. Also, when Shane and Rick are in the car, Shane is awful curious about what is going on with Lori. Rick saying she always seems pissed off at him and dismissive is classic behavior of someone that has is over ther marriage and possibly having an affair or at least thinking about it. I think Lori and Shane may not have been sleeping together pre-ZA but have been emotionally cheating. Lori may have confided in Shane and an inappropriate friendship develop from there that was consummated once Rick was taken for dead.

I get that war zone type situations make people seek comfort, but Lori should have been focused on mourning and putting emotional energy into further strengthening her bond with Carl, not getting laid. Rick didn't turn to a female for sexual companionship after Lori died. If anything he ran from it (insert awkward hostility towards Michonne). Rick mourned, even losing his sanity, but he went through all of it. Lori was fine and moving on in no time.

I was actually hoping I gained more sympathy and understanding of her and Shane on re-watch but this is actually a worse impression for me than the first time since I am being more observant.

Maria200 and Flower1petals like this.
  4. lovingdead

Patron

Walker Pets:
    I'm from the South and don't think Andy's accent in the beginning was bad. it is just way better now since he has grown into his character more. I think he delivered the accent with less confidence in the beginning but it didn't sound cringe worthy like some of the others I have heard on this show. Shane's is more graceful but it is closer to his own natural voce. It probably took AL more time to fully gain control of the contrast with his natural speaking voice.

MamaGrimes, Katbird and SevenStars like this.
  5. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think one of the biggest factors in Rick's behavior after Lori was the guilt he felt. By the time Lori died, their relationship had changed even more. It doesn't feel fair to compare the two. Everyone grieves differently anyway, even the best of circumstances. I think they were all likely trying to survive at that point, however they could, even if he meant reaching out to each other.

It's what I loved about the show back then. The characters behave in very realistic ways. As viewers, we can say they should be doing "x,y,z" but their situation is so far removed from anything we can imagine. I'm glad the writers made them seem more lost and making more "wrong" decisions. These people were in shock so I don't think everything they did was supposed to look so great, but it was understandable, for me anyway.

6. lovingdead

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Valid points. I'm still leaning towards something was up beforehand, but can totally see the differences in grieving.

SevenStars, Flower1petals and Silas like this.
  7. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I definitely have thoughts on that too but I guess I'll wait until we're further into the rewatch because I think the next few episodes are very telling on that front. But I don't wanna jump ahead in discussion points. It's hard to talk only about the first episode when we know what's coming so I'll hit the brakes.

lovingdead likes this.
  8. SevenStars

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I noticed that and my first assumption was that Rick wasn't a believer. Because even thought he woke-up in this hell on earth world, he hasn't had time yet to really question God in a way that would suddenly make him not even be willing to say grace with the family that God sent his way.

Also if he was a believer before Z.A , saying grace over their dinner, especially for a small town man like Rick, would be something that he does without thinking about it. Something that is ingrained him so much that he wouldn't even think twice about bowing his head and saying grace even if he was in the middle of questioning God's existence.

So considering where Rick grow-up, this is an interesting aspect of the character.

9. SevenStars

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I get what you are saying. It would have been more interesting if they kept fresh walkers the way these one looks. This would give us an idea of not only the way time was moving forward but also give us an idea of when these people actually died and became a walkers. It would be more interesting, creeping and also more emotional when we see a walker.

#29 SevenStars, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    lovingdead likes this.
  10. SevenStars

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I agree that them clinging to each other makes sense. I guess it's the overly intimate familiarity as lovers, not friends/family friend turn into lovers that makes it seem kind of more to me. Them getting together make sense, even as quickly as they did it. It's the little moments and touches that makes it seems like it was more than just the circumstance that caused this change.

I think Shane did already see them as family before the Z.A. That's why I don't question his moments with Carl or the family moments with him, Carl and Lori. It's the little moments just between him and Lori that raises questions for me.

lovingdead likes this.
  11. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Same here. I never noticed how reluctant he was to do so and Morgan's glare as he finished his spiel

MamaGrimes, SevenStars and lovingdead like this.
  12. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Season 2 answers that question when it goes to church. He said that he was never close to God, and that he only cared about his family and his work. Paraphrasing here, but I think that is the gist of it

13. SevenStars

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I don't know if Shane and Lori had feelings for each other before Z.A happened but I agree with you that the way Rick describes how Lori would behave with him indicates that Lori was over the marriage. That she might have not been thinking about someone else but she was thinking about ending the marriage and not looking for a way to save it.

As for the rest of your argument, I don't want to get too far ahead since we are not yet up to the episodes you are talking about ( I know it's so hard not to reference things we already know ) but I like to point out there are way to many differences between Rick and Lori circumstances for a true comparison between how the other reacted during each others death. But I'm sure we will come back to see subject later on.

lovingdead likes this.
  14. GrimesGurl

GrimesGurl Spooning with Rick
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    SQUEEEE!! This is so fun!

1. What do you think was worst, waking up from a coma and finding out the world you know have ended or being a wake and watch as the world you known end before your eyes and there is nothing you or anyone can do about it?
    For me, I think watching the world end before my eyes with nothing to be done about it, would be the worst scenario between the two. By nature, I like to be in control and by profession, I solve problems so I imagine it would be really hard for me to have to sit by and watch things spiral out of control.

2. What was it about this episode that made you want to watch the next one ?
    The realism of the world that was created was incredible. I really appreciate attention to detail in movies/TV and it felt like the creators really thought seriously about what it would be like, what people might do if the world came to an end in this way, and then created that world in small town Georgia of all places. I also thought the casting and acting was amazing and really believable. I wanted to see more of the world that Rick was discovering and find out if Rick finds his family.

3. What did you think of the way Rick was introduce to us?
    I liked the fact that Rick was made out to be a small town deputy sheriff, a seemingly simple law-n-order, by the book, family man, someone who is principled and followed the rules. I liked also that his weaknesses were put out there right away too i.e. uncommunicative with his family, deep feeling but never really showing it so we could see his strengths and weaknesses collide as he learned about the new post-ZA world. I think it was amazing that they found Andrew Lincoln for the part, its kinda hard to imagine anyone else as Rick now!

4. What did you noticed was different from the last time you view this episodes ?
    I've re-watched S1E1 a couple of times now so I didn't see too much new however I did re-feel certain things each time like Rick walking through the hospital, down those stairs and through the lined up bodies in his bare feet...that just grossed me out each time lol! (and yes, I generally have issues with walking in bare feet...:laugh:) . I hated Merle again after hearing him call T-Dog a you-know-what. I think I appreciated show runners Glenn Mazzara and Frank Darabount even more now.

SevenStars likes this.
  15. GrimesGurl

GrimesGurl Spooning with Rick
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    SQUEEEE!! This is so fun!

1. What do you think was worst, waking up from a coma and finding out the world you know have ended or being a wake and watch as the world you known end before your eyes and there is nothing you or anyone can do about it?
    For me, I think watching the world end before my eyes with nothing to be done about it, would be the worst scenario between the two. By nature, I like to be in control and by profession, I solve problems so I imagine it would be really hard for me to have to sit by and watch things spiral out of control.

The realism of the world that was created was incredible. I really appreciate attention to detail in movies/TV and it felt like the creators really thought seriously about what it would be like, what people might do if the world came to an end in this way, and then created that world in small town Georgia of all places. I also thought the casting and acting was amazing and really believable. I wanted to see more of the world that Rick was discovering and find out if Rick finds his family.

I liked the fact that Rick was made out to be a small town deputy sheriff, a seemingly simple law-n-order, by the book, family man, someone who is principled and followed the rules. I liked also that his weaknesses were put out there right away too i.e. uncommunicative with his family, deep feeling but never really showing it so we could see his strengths and weaknesses collide as he learned about the new post-ZA world. I think it was amazing that they found Andrew Lincoln for the part, its kinda hard to imagine anyone else as Rick now!

4. What did you noticed was different from the last time you view this episodes ?
    I've re-watched S1E1 a couple of times now so I didn't see too much new however I did re-feel certain things each time like Rick walking through the hospital, down those stairs and through the lined up bodies in his bare feet...that just grossed me out each time lol! (and yes, I generally have issues with walking in bare feet...:laugh:) . I hated Merle again after hearing him call T-Dog a you-know-what. I think I appreciated show runners Glenn Mazzara and Frank Darabount even more now.

16. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    In my initial post I only answered the questions I did not go into depth but after having all day to think about the episode here are a few more thoughts. I had to laugh because I wondered how the walkers were climbing the stairs and all the other things they were doing because I always thought they did not do that. And it seemed like they were also very fast which I thought was odd. My heart broke when Rick had to kill the little girl walker, it really reminded me of Penny, remember when Michonne was calling for her, it was exactly the same way that Rick was calling for the little girl.

The first time I saw the episode I never realized that Duane was reading a comic book but it stood out to me last night. I was so sad for him when he saw his mom and ran to the bed in tears, it was so heartbreaking. It also broke my heart that Morgan was not able to kill his Jenny. And we all know what happens because of that.

I loved that Rick, Morgan and Duane bonded almost immediately. I had a big smile when they went to the station and were able to take showers and then Rick was in a uniform, although I did wonder where it came from, maybe he got it from home and I missed that part.

During the talk between Rick and Shane I wondered about Shane's interest in Lori. To me it seemed like he was already interested in her in a sexual way. I thought it was really sad that Rick was torn up about the conversation that him and Lori had before he went to work that day. But I realized that they were already having marital problems before the ZA happened.

One thing that has always bothered me, how in the heck was Rick able to survive since he was hooked up to an IV and to machines and if the power went out 6 weeks before, I will always wonder how only 1 person was able to survive (well at least that we know of).

I will probably think of more things but now I wondering why in the heck I was so scared to watch this when it first started.

SevenStars and MamaGrimes like this.
  17. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Finally watched 1.01 Days Gone By, and I still loved it as much as when I saw it for the first time.

In a weird, twisted sort of way, I'd find waking up from a coma a little more comforting than watching the world fall right before my eyes. Waking up from a coma, Rick looked like he was reborn and had to adapt really fast. It was fight or flight, get with the program or that was it. You were responsible for just yourself, at least until you encountered more people. Assuming you never come across your family as a walker, you'd never know what happened to them. You'd hope they got away, but at least you didn't have to watch them die in front of you. Not having watched the world crumble, you'd wish that maybe there was a way to piece back what was.

The ending scene. I loved the quiet moment with Rick, the crackling of the radio, Glenn’s hilarious line, the slightly out of place music, the cut away to walkers eating and then banging on the tank, the camera panning out of the city. I loved it so much, I immediately continued on to the next episode the first time I saw it.

This is honestly one of the best pilot episodes I've seen. What made it work was the emotional impact, which is impressive for a first episode. It could have very easily fell apart. For most pilot episode, there is build up of the setting, the introduction of the cast, and the quick pace of the plot so that the conflict is introduced. To be honest, even though I love episode 2, I could see them use that as the pilot episode. Rick wakes up from coma, rides into Atlanta, BOOM, walkers, new characters, a whole bunch of info dump. But that's not the route they pursued, and I'm so grateful for that.

I loved his introduction by the end of it, but I wasn't too fond of his first scene of shooting the walker girl. It was a little too cheesy, a bit typical. I understand they wanted a quick scene that showed the conflict and quickly cut away to the opening, but I would have preferred him waking from the coma. That's what I remember as the first scene.

I'm also not too fond of Darabont's walkers. There is something scarier about the walkers now, not just because they're more rotted and decayed, but the fact that they're less than animals. They eat to the point of endangering themselves. There is no other thought. With Darabont's walkers, you have walkers that can attempt tasks like twisting the door knob or maybe retain some level of familiarity with their old lives (little girl picking up the teddy bear). That doesn't seem as scary to me. Although, at least with Darabont's walker I can buy the team being attacked by the unsuspecting walker. The walkers we have now walk at a snail's pace and make too much sounds, there really shouldn't be any deaths like Carter's in 6.01 First Time Again.

I do have to say Darabont's walkers had diversity to them. I think this is the first time I noticed an Asian walker when Rick rode into Atlanta. :lol:

4. What did you noticed was different from the last time you view this episodes ? ( This is a question I will asked in every episode post)

I'm gonna use this last question to dump the rest of my thoughts, so I apologize if it sounds disorganized.

Lots of quiet moments. There were plenty of scenes where there was an absence of background music, and you could hear crickets and cicadas chirping, flies buzzing, birds singing. Now, TWD still has always been sort of quiet, but it's been awhile since I heard multitude of sounds in the background. I also loved how Rick reacted to the smell as he was passing by the dead bodies.

Andy's accent still needed some fine tuning, but his voice when he says, "is that right?" is so damn cute, I give him a pass.

Anyway, I never noticed the divisive line that's drawn between men and women. It begins with Shane's speech about women in his life not turning off the lights which then segues to Rick's issue with Lori. Rick is upset that Lori claimed he doesn't care for her and Carl, and he ends that conversation stating that the difference between men and women is that he would never say something that cruel to Lori. I always found it weird the way he phrased that. Why would that be a difference between men and women? Isn't that something specific to Lori? Afterwards, Morgan tells Rick that his wife also packed photo albums while he was getting survival gear. It's even more interesting later on in the show when the men and women divide themselves at least during Darabont and Mazzara's run. One thing I want to keep track of as I rewatch is how each show runner writes women.

I really found it interesting that when Rick is initially shot, the first thing he does is turn to Shane and say to him to never tell Lori. Their marriage problem must really run deep if Rick doesn't feel comfortable telling his spouse about his gun shot wound. I honestly don't even know how he would keep that from her. Did he assume they wouldn't get intimate in the time it took to heal? I do think he was thinking that far ahead since he tells Shane to keep quiet. I also think Shane must be pretty familiar with the family and possibly talks to Lori outside of Rick if Rick feels the need to issue that warning. I always got the vibe that Shane was the unofficial uncle of the family.

I do think Rick not speaking is a big issue. He tells Shane that whenever he does says something, Lori gets pissed. Then later on, we get a scene where Lori is upset at Shane for stopping her from putting up signs, but what does he do? He speaks. No, I'm not a fan of Shane/Lori especially because of what happens at CDC, but it's fun to see how compatible they are/were. I'm also surprised Lori wanted to go down and put the signs in the first place. I don't doubt she's a good person, but to do something that reckless and not think what it might mean for Carl? I was a little intrigued since it is something she criticizes Rick for later on. Shane not wanting to put up the signs makes perfect sense to me. It's part of the reason why I think he doesn't make for a good leader because in his mind it'll always be, 1. Lori and Carl and then...4. The rest of the group. I don't doubt he cares for the group, but for him there is a pretty wide gap between 1 and 4.

#37 Gooey Goobert, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    ReeciePiecey and SevenStars like this.
  18. Caribbeanqueen11

Caribbeanqueen11 Supplier of Mints
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The way that Darabont wrote for each gender always bothered me as I found he had women in their "place" being the womenfolk while men were the "protectors" doing the manly things, I felt the same with Mazzara. I always wondered whether they would have given the women more character growth and independence beyond just caregivers and sexual partners if either had continued in the show but we'll never know. I will be keeping a closer eye on the gender division as our re-watch continues.

Gooey Goobert and SevenStars like this.
  19. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It bothers me even more because the characters comment on it, and then proceed to do nothing. I don't expect all the women to be badasses from the get-go, but the few times the women are allowed to do something, they're written as incompetent or are punished for their efforts (Andrea). Maybe Darabont was playing the long game, but from what little we saw, I doubt it. Mazzara was a bit better when he gave us Michonne, but I always felt he was playing the strong black woman trope at times. The one good thing that came from this gender separation was that I remember the woman talking with each other quite more. But, yeah, I'm gonna keep my eyes open and see how things progress.

Caribbeanqueen11 likes this.
  20. lovingdead

Patron

Walker Pets:
    It is interesting that Rick is a non-believer considering his location, occupation and leading what seems to be a pretty traditional family life. Not that there are no Southern small town law enforcement officers with a wife and child who aren't religious but it is a rarity. My Southern daddy was a cop and is a preacher trust me it's rare to not have the law and religion be integral in the South. I am a non-believer and always felt deeply out of place and like a rebel. It makes me wonder more about Rick pre-ZA because he seems like a walking contradiction.

SevenStars likes this.