1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta TWD REWATCH CLUB: Days Gone bye 1x1

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by SevenStars, Jun 8, 2016.

1. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Im watching tomorrow and will post. Dont wanna go through the thread and be influenced so Ill be back :)

2. idcabtthisish

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    #ThatAwkwardMoment you get all ready to watch TWD ep 1 season 1 only to find out THE DVD ISN'T IN THE CASE and you're in the process of moving so you have NO IDEA where it could be. :/

3. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I might watch tonight! I'm excited to drink wine and watch after this hectic week! Looking forward to discussing with you guys. I have only watched this episode ONCE!

ngl, chances are I will watch 3 episodes. Once I start I can't just stop :)

GrimesGurl and Caribbeanqueen11 like this.
  4. Flower1petals

Flower1petals Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I stopped after the first, but tonight I think I have to watch a few more.

Appetence and Katbird like this.
  5. idcabtthisish

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Thanks to NETFLIX for being the REAL MVP, I was able to watch 1x1 and oh my God it was sooooo GOOD! I particularly liked LJ as Morgan. It was such a great contrast to who he was in Clear, which is the episode I REALLY remember him in because helllllooooo I'm Richonne Trash, and Richonne went semi-canon in Clear LOL, so obviously I've watched that episode a million times, unlike 1x1, which I've only watched a few times-- like maybe once or twice a year. Normally when re-watching the series I want to start it from when Lori and Shane are dead, so normally I watch S3 on up. It was really refreshing to see it from the beginning, though.

Here are the questions: Remember to post your response to these questions before reading others response.

1. What do you think was worst, waking up from a coma and finding out the world you know have ended or being a wake and watch as the world you known end before your eyes and there is nothing you or anyone can do about it? I think I'd rather be in the moment and know.... Then again by waking up from the coma and running into Morgan, Rick was able to skip all that and just get the simple rundown: there's the dead, the living, and the undead, to kill the under and make them dead you have to go through the brain. It saves room for a lot of trial and error LOL. I just think the panic of not knowing wtf happened to my family would kill me. I would lose my mind. I'd rather go through it w/ them then to have to play catch up and figure things out, and what if I never found them? What if Glenn hadn't been there? Rick would have never found his family. I don't think I could live like that. I would need to know.

2. What was it about this episode that made you want to watch the next one ?
    When we see Lori/Shane kiss in the tent and THE VERY NEXT SCENE RICK PULLS DOWN HIS VISOR AND BOOP we see this:
    [​IMG]
    Mind blown, stick a fork in me, I was beyond done. I was hooked from that moment on. It was a wrap. I was like dayummmm ginaaaaaaa tf is going on?!?!?!? I HAD to find out more. I still remember this perfectly. It was late at night, I was w/ a bunch of friends at our on-campus townhouse, and we were flipping through the stations and we saw Rick shoot the walker at the very beginning of the episode. Naturally we were intrigued, so we kept watching, and then when we see Lori/Shane and find out that Lori is Rick's wife I SHIT YALL NOT we ALL sat up at the same time like "WTF JUST HAPPENED?" Oh my God, I will never forget that moment. We literally have not stopped watching since that happened.

3. What did you think of the way Rick was introduce to us?
    I immediately liked him. For one, he's easy on the eyes. Secondly seeing him that uniform and he was already a cocky ass mofo as it was haha. You could see the kindness in him as he tried to help the little girl, and then you saw that he would play no games when he realized she was a walker and shot her. And they automatically made him the relatable one w/ his "Lori asked if I even cared about them in front of our son" moment. Like my heart really went out to him and it set the tone for him and Lori's relationship. Looking back it helps us see the kind of person Shane was -- to me he was fishing for information, trying to figure out how to steal Lori from Rick, but I'm biased and have stated before, and will continue to state/believe that Shane and Lori would have happened regardless. IN FACT I can see them "comforting" each other once Rick went into the coma... yah I said it, idt she even waited until the world went to shit. Carl's at the neighbor's one night while Shane and Lori are at the hospital late. He drives Lori home, she asks if he wants to come in, and them one thing leads to another and an affair has started. Okay highly unlikely, but they still woulda fooled around eventually LOL.

4. What did you noticed was different from the last time you view this episodes ? ( This is a question I will asked in every episode post) Rick's humanity. It hurt him to kill that walker. He asked Morgan "are you sure they're dead" because Rick actually gave af about life back then.... As opposed to raving, mindless, psychopathic, Shane-like Rick we've gotten since S5.

#45 idcabtthisish, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    lovingdead, luv, GrimesGurl and 2 others like this.
  6. idcabtthisish

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Yes!!! Lori was definitely an ass from day one. And ALs acting has definitely gotten better, I agree w| you whole-heartedly, I said the exact same thing in fact. The scene where he touched the floor was epic but I needed that moment to bring it home LOL

luv and Flower1petals like this.
  7. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I had to forced myself stop because I badly wanted to continue. But I managed by reminding myself that to wake-up early in the morning and I wanted my thoughts to be fresh for the discussion on Sunday.

Katbird likes this.
  8. idcabtthisish

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Omg yes!! When I heard him explain that to Shane I was like "Thats why he doesnt communicate." Men don't respond well to that, so when he talks to her she cant make it seem like she doesnt care or no longer cares.

With that said she was also really harsh w/ Shane and tended to brush off what he said. It may be her personality. But she's definitely rude and abrupt and just all around God-awful.

luv likes this.
  9. idcabtthisish

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Oh, upon re-watch: Rick saying "There are no more N----- and white trash" I thought RICHONNE! LOL

lovingdead, luv and Flower1petals like this.
  10. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Here are the questions: Remember to post your response to these questions before reading others response.

1. What do you think was worst, waking up from a coma and finding out the world you know have ended or being a wake and watch as the world you known end before your eyes and there is nothing you or anyone can do about it?

Waking up alone would be harder because you have no one to lean on, no one to explain what's happening and you have to accept everything all at once. If you watch the world fall apart, at least you can process each thing while it happens. Both ways suck though. I would rather die in the beginning tbh

"Hey you. Dumbass. Yeah, you in the tank. Cozy in there?"

After seeing Rick surrounded by a million zombies, I had to see how he got out and I wanted to know who the hell was talking to him on the radio.

I thought it was brilliant storytelling. The first thing I noticed was how quiet the world was and that drew me in to the story immediately. I've read post apocalypse stuff (The Stand is my favorite) so I love stories about what the world is like when everything we know is gone.

4. What did you noticed was different from the last time you view this episodes ? ( This is a question I will asked in every episode post)

I didn't notice anything but I recently rewatched right after the finale (and have watched several times)

lovingdead likes this.
  11. richonneromance

richonneromance Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    1. What do you think was worst, waking up from a coma and finding out the world you know have ended or being a wake and watch as the world you known end before your eyes and there is nothing you or anyone can do about it?

The latter. I think watching the decline would've been awful. I've always felt like Rick had an advantage mentally, by having no emotional or mental connection to "the end of the world". He has the ability to remember how it was because he never experienced the demolition (plus aside from maybe extended family, he never lost anyone in his immediate family from the get go, like most would have, either).

I don't give up after one episode! It was scary, well paced and fun.

Personally, I dislike that we had to start out with a sexist dudebro conversation but after seeing it a few times it does clearly show that Shane and Rick are basically polar opposites and for the most part, their relationship is Shane trying to impress Rick and get his approval, meaning Rick is the "better" one of the two lol. It did a good job of establishing the protagonist and antagonist. For some reason, I can't imagine Rick saying such a definitive "difference between men and women" statement now either. His overall opinion of women would've changed drastically after Michonne, Carol, Maggie etc.

4. What did you noticed was different from the last time you view this episodes ? ( This is a question I will asked in every episode post)

As above, Rick said a lot of rather hollow definitive statements and in general was someone in control who was just beginning to really fall apart. He didn't seem to have much personality then either, not that we saw him pre-apoc for very long.

12. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    God, yeah, that shit bothered me, especially when you see them washing the clothes and talking about missing their vibrators (in later episodes). Michonne was the only one that did not fit that mold, hence why she was the one who got to beat the shit out of the governor, but that also played into stereotypes reserved for black women. And talking about black women, I do not look forward to the intro of Jacqui in the second episode

13. idcabtthisish

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Dear GOD not Jacqui LOL

14. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    It will be interesting to see how each writer handled the women characters on the show.

I don't think I noticed it much when I first watched. I also didn't know that there was a change in writers.

15. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    :jac:

idcabtthisish likes this.
  16. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm not gonna lie, that conversation turned me off the show the first time I watched it. I'm not sure why since there are worse things a show has done, but maybe because it was so damn long. Shane just kept going on.

But, I did like how it set apart Rick and Shane when Rick admits that he's the one who forgets to turn off the light and Lori is the one to remind him.

And then they had him end with that statement about men and women and it just didn't make sense to me. That's the difference between you and Lori. I'm not sure why it got blown up to include everyone else.

lovingdead likes this.
  17. Sasha's Living Room

Sasha's Living Room Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    somewhere with excessive air conditioning
    Hello, I'm new. :)

I joined for the rewatch and because it seems there may be a healthy number of richonne shippers about!

Hmm. Provided I'm as lucky as Rick was to encounter someone kind enough to bring me up to speed, I would prefer the coma option. I think it would be harder for me to watch everyone around panicking and reacting as everything goes to heck than it would for me to just start over fresh in a new world. Also, it would be easier for me to make my peace with a ZA that's already and "settled" and "decided" than it would be to watch the world's best and brightest try to solve the problem only to have my hopes dashed over and over again.

I wanted to know how the heck he was supposed to get away from that tank safely, and if the voice on the other end of the radio was truly a helping hand. Until then I wasn't that invested tbh.

I liked him better than Shane off the bat but other than that, I wasn't particularly impressed with him (yet).

I was disappointed to see the little walker girl pick up the teddy bear, and Atlanta walkers climbing the tank. In later seasons walkers never do things like that (and I think it makes more sense that they don't).

18. GrimesGurl

GrimesGurl Spooning with Rick
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I agree, it didn't make sense to me for a walker, even a fresh one, to notice/care about a teddy bear..

19. gootvansquid

gootvansquid Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:

Without doubt, seeing it cumble, living through the horror and brutality of it. Watching everyone ripped to shreds or shot, the panic and meyhem. Would be better to know the abridged details rather than live through every moment of it. Sort of like reading the details of any war, tragic event etc

When i first watched the series premier, i was honestly unimpressed. I didn't return to TWD and begin watching consistently until the start of season 2. The reason for this? Three things;
    A. "Smart" walkers. The little girl picks up her stuffed bear, and that's the first thing we saw. The walker beginning to climb the ladder.. Walker looking at her front door. If they hadn't corrected this by the end of the season (at the CDC), i may have never become interested in the show.
    B. An extension of problem A; zombies with too much individual personality
    C. After the zombie stopping to pick up a stuffed animal, the second thing we see is Shane delivering an awkward and obnoxious speech with an even more uncomfortable and awkward seeming Rick responding to it (is this the type of writing content we'll have?:/).
    Both actors seem uncomfortable having that idiotic conversation hahah

Overall this is one of my least favorite episodes due to the poor portrayal of the zombies.

I like it. We got to know him the way he got to know the new world. It was essentially the same as in the comic and works nicely. He was a normal man in the beginning, just as he should've been.

Overall the first episode had a much "lighter" style and mood than the series does now.

20. luv

luv Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Good pick Katbird, I noticed too. That really touched me when he said that. Then we got the flashback to how
    Lori said that she wanted him to speak more, I was thinking at the time maybe they just spoke a different language
    -if you know what I mean- I saw that he feels things deeply and to have him express these thoughts I think looking back that they are 2 different to where they started from to get back there.