1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll TWD REWATCH CLUB: Guts 1x2

Discussion in 'Season 1' started by SevenStars, Jun 12, 2016.

?

What grade would you give 1x1 ?

Poll closed Jul 12, 2016.
  1. A

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  2. B

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Flower1petals

Flower1petals Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    @SevenStars we are on ep 3 as of yesterday right? I just don't see the thread

2. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    As much as I liked Glenn and Rick's interaction, I still cannot stand the intro to Andrea. TV Andrea was so whiny compared to comic Andrea. I also couldn't stand Merle and T-Dog

3. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I was really happy to see that everyone participated in the discussion last time. It was a great discussion and I loved reading everyone views. I hope we can continue to have these great discussions with each other.

Here are the questions: Remember to post your response to these questions before reading others response.

1. What do you think about Lori taking off her wedding rings weeks after Shane told her that Rick was supposedly dead ? When I saw this scene, I had just finished reading the two compendiums, so it was a shock to me since comic Lori was not so disloyal (if I make sense here). Like it took weeks for Rick to take of his wedding ring and he was on the outs with her, but she seemed not to have any problems moving on

2. What do you think about how the writers wrote the women in this episodes ? (I will probably ask this question or a variation of it in every post because I noticed in the last discussion that it was hot topic when it comes to comparing the writers) . God, the women were stereotypical like they had regressed to pre-women liberation movement. No bueno

3. Which character caught your noticed in this episode ? Glenn

4. What did you noticed was different from the last time you view this episodes ? ( This is a question I will asked in every episode post) Not much, except I cannot stand Andrea even less now

SevenStars likes this.
  4. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, we are. I PM you a link to that thread .

Flower1petals likes this.
  5. Sasha's Living Room

Sasha's Living Room Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    somewhere with excessive air conditioning
    I still ended up liking and sympathizing with Lori (not that I wasn't angry at her at times), but I totally agree that was not "consolation" or "comfort" sex they were having. Someone mentioned it was creepy that Shane could approach with the hand over mouth like that. I would have thought it was too if Lori was going through the motions afterwards, but she clearly wasn't. They genuinely had a high level of intimacy going from the jump.

I forgot to mention I also noticed on rewatching that the ring on the chain around her neck had to be Rick's, and her ring was still on her finger! It's a strange dichotomy (watching her get all respectful of her presumed-dead husband all of a sudden when she's clearly having a lot of fun with his best friend), but it's a very good symbol of her ongoing confusion, finding the difference between what she thinks is her duty and what she truly wants for herself.

All of this, word for word, matches what I was thinking while watching this ep, lol. In the first ep they were climbing the tank too. Then in 1x3 it takes 5 guys to beat up one walker that was busy feeding on a deer, and Daryl still had to shoot it in the head. It's a miracle any of them survived back then... :gabe:

Flower1petals and Canuckgirl like this.
  6. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    1. What do you think about Lori taking off her wedding rings weeks after Shane told her that Rick was supposedly dead ?

Lori took off the necklace holding Rick's wedding ring and I hated it as much now as I did then. There wasn't nearly enough time passed for her to take it off simply to make her lover feel less shitty about screwing her in the woods. She put the chain back on so it wasn't a permanent removal at least. But, yeah, I hated that.

2. What do you think about how the writers wrote the women in this episodes ? (I will probably ask this question or a variation of it in every post because I noticed in the last discussion that it was hot topic when it comes to comparing the writers). I think the writers were simplistic in their writing and relied on tried and true tropes: The domestic suburban mom with Lori, the sassy woc with Jacqui (although I did enjoy her flipping off Merle when he forced her to raise her hand in favor of him leading as well as several more lines of snark), the 'feisty' woman in Andrea and the worry wart sister in Amy. I will say the writing has matured a great deal since then.

3. Which character caught your noticed in this episode ? This was Glenn's episode bar none. Just loved him. Loved his groans and nausea during the gut application scene, loved his one liners, loved his taking charge with the sewer expedition, loved his joy at the end but most of all?

I loved and have always loved that he stuck his neck out to rescue a stranger.

4. What did you noticed was different from the last time you view this episodes ? ( This is a question I will asked in every episode post)
    • Walkers are much more human sounding.
    • Glenn called them walkers at the beginning and then geeks the rest of the episode. Was that a writing error?
    • amy the mushroom queen? What the hell was that supposed to mean? Some snark thrown Amy's way because she was the reason their forest sex was delayed??
    • Lori has a tattoo on her stomach and Shane is tatooed....so they have that in common. Straight arrow Rick does not of course.
    • I found Merle as much of a douchebag now as I did then.
    • Loved this line: 'All I am anymore is a man looking for his wife and son. Anyone who gets in the way of that is going to lose.'
    • the moments between rick and andrea were meant to set up for something more later on. It's very obvious. And they had ZERO amount of chemistry. I know about chemistry and they had not one drop.
    • Rick is adorable pulling down his plastic face shield

7. Sasha's Living Room

Walker Pets:
    I remember thinking "Oh, I guess Morgan didn't make up that term himself then," but now that I think of it you're probably right the geeks/walkers thing is a writing (or actor) error. Like Tara's "nephew" in S4.

"Amy the mushroom queen" makes me wonder if I missed something every time.

Lori's tattoo didn't make much of an impression on me. Do you remember what it was? I wonder if Jessie's owl tat is similar.

8. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Her tattoo is on her lower stomach near her belly button....made me think there was a bit of a wild side to her....

9. Flower1petals

Flower1petals Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I wonder if the lack of chemistry between the two made them write the story the way they did. Were they going to write for them to be together like the comics, until they actually saw it on-screen.

MamaGrimes likes this.
  10. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    How did I miss Jacqui flipping him off? :lol: I think I was too focused on Andrea groaning and reluctantly raising her hand instead. I agree with your assessment here too.

I don't know. LH said she was signed on for 8 seasons and FD planned on doing Randrea. But other than that scene in the store, I don't recall anything more. Probably because they were focused on the Rick/Lori/Shane triangle, so I do think maybe FD would have gone with Randrea but with a very slow buildup.

11. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]
    I took a screen shot for your visual pleasure! The shot doesn't capture her full expression in that brief moment....she was totally over his douchbaggery.....loved it.

12. Sasha's Living Room

Walker Pets:
    The funny thing is I did remember the location of her tattoo, just not what it was. Anyone know? (Obviously not an owl but I wonder if it's anything similar.)
    It's subtle but definitely there. I'm proud to have somehow caught it the first time.

Strangely, *while* they were still doing that love triangle though, Shane had some action with Andrea and she wanted to leave with him. Obviously Rick wasn't going to try something like that while Lori was alive but they could have easily had moments together during S2 if the writers still wanted to put them together. I get the impression they dropped the idea pretty early.

Flower1petals and MamaGrimes like this.
  13. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    As soon as Andrea slept with Shane and especially after the Governor there is no way her and Rick would ever happen. Plus, they started out trying to make her feisty and strong but she just became annoying. I always say Michonne carries her badass-ness with grace and never tries too hard. Andrea was always posturing and acted entitled. I championed Andrea at first because she stood up for the women and didn't want to be dictated to but she just went ott. I am very interested in seeing any other signs of Rick and Andrea being built up and comparing it to Richonne. So far it doesn't have the weight of Richonne's initial meeting.

MamaGrimes and SevenStars like this.
  14. Gooey Goobert

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Oh, they definitely dropped it. Randrea was FD's original plan. I'm pretty sure Andrea sleeping with Shane was all GM, who wasn't too fond of her.

15. Gooey Goobert

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That's beautiful. :lol: I have a new found respect for Jacqui. If only she wasn't created to die with Jenner.

MamaGrimes likes this.
  16. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Yes, Jacqui was a standout. I am going to pay more attention to how the poc characters are presented since this has been an ongoing controversy. I think people were more up-in-arms about T-Dog than Jacqui, but so far I see no real reason to be upset. I do think later T-Dog starts to be irritating but I always remember Jacqui fondly. She is a sista girl but at no point has she seemed too stereotypical to me. She seems intelligent and sassy, plus at this point she is just as vocal as Andrea so it isn't like she is singled out as the only outspoken woman.

SevenStars likes this.
  17. gootvansquid

gootvansquid Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    1. What do you think about Lori taking off her wedding rings weeks after Shane told her that Rick was supposedly dead ?
    I think Lori is obviously trying to move on, but hasn't let go. I also think Shane is a bit pushy and has previously complained about her continuing to wear the ring. that is just an assumption based on his character.

2. What do you think about how the writers wrote the women in this episodes ? (I will probably ask this question or a variation of it in every post because I noticed in the last discussion that it was hot topic when it comes to comparing the writers) . i think they did well in definitively characterizing everyone in this episode. I don't have a problem with the premise of all the female characters with children to keep wrangled have taken on the classic "housework" chores while the others who are able to (Andrea and Jacqui) are out on the loot run. Andrea appears a little more emotionally immature than i would've expected at this point, but only a little. Jacqui is portrayed as fairly calm, collected and intelligent. I thought it was good, i have no complaints.

3. Which character caught your noticed in this episode ?
    Glenn, Andrea, Merle

4. What did you noticed was different from the last time you view this episodes ? ( This is a question I will asked in every episode post)
    Having noticed all other characters plenty already, i found myself giving more attention to Jacqui and Morales. I hadn't noticed the moment when Merle is asking for a show of hands as vote for his "leadership" - Jacqui is somewhat subtly giving him the finger. Nice little added bit to her personality, which was only around for 6 episodes.

i rate this episode high for season one. i'll probably include a list of best to worst on the final episode thread.

P.S. please can i have the link for Tell it to the Frogs? I can guess why i don't see it here hahah - i'de like to just drop my post in there and move on :crydaryl:

lovingdead and SevenStars like this.
  18. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Is there a thread for Episode 1 x 1? Starting to watch the marathon.

19. hewontgo

hewontgo Slopping Pigs
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    walkinggirl26 likes this.
  20. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    http://tellittothedead.com/index.php?threads/twd-rewatch-tell-it-to-the-frogs-1x3.1004/