1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll TWD Rewatch Club: Hounded 3x06

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by SevenStars, Sep 7, 2016.

?

What grade would you give episode 3x05 ?

This poll will close on Oct 7, 2019 at 6:35 PM.
  1. A

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. B

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Hey, everyone

It's that time again. One more month before we can watch new episodes of TWD, I've been reading some spoilers, they make me really, really excited to see the new season. I hope you guys are looking forward to the new season too.

Here are the questions for this episode.

1.Why do you think Glenn had different reaction to seeing Merle than Andrea?

2.What do you think about Andrea sleeping with the within days of meeting him?

3.Why do think Herschel went along with Rick claiming that people were talking to him on the phone ?

4. What do you think of the writing for the women ?

5. What did you noticed this time that you didn't noticed the last time you watched this episode.

2. Jetamors

Jetamors Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    Is it really that close? :D

I think the main thing is actually that Merle's reaction to each of them was different. Andrea was half-dead and didn't know where his brother was; Glenn and Maggie clearly had a stable base somewhere, and knew where Daryl was but wouldn't take him there. The fact that he had his boys with Andrea but faced Glenn and Maggie alone might have also been a factor.

It would be fine, if the Governor wasn't evil. I think at this point we also start seeing the common characteristic of leaders in the zombie apocalypse: they're all good with people. The Governor is crazy, but he's also very perceptive, and knows exactly what to say to seduce Andrea into Woodbury (and his bed).

I don't think there would have been much benefit to contradicting him, honestly. And in the end, it was something Rick worked through on his own.

Man, Andrea jumping off the wall to knife that zombie in the head is my favorite Andrea moment in the series.

So for the last two episodes there hasn't been even a single line from a Woodbury woman, but in this episode we get bow gal Haley talking with Andrea on the wall. I liked this because they did a good job of showing that most Woodbury people are relatively sheltered/incompetent, but without being sexist; Haley isn't contrasted unfavorably with a guy, but rather with Andrea.

Female zombie kill count: Andrea (1), and Michonne (1 - offscreen). (Not sure if Michonne's zombiegram should also count as a kill.)

And for the first time, we can also have a female human kill count: Michonne kills Merle's men Tim and Crowley, making her the first female character in TWD to kill a living human.

Someone mentioned Jacqui an episode or two ago, and in this one Rick hallucinates her voice over the phone. I wonder if this is truly the last Jacqui mention?

Merle continues to be hilarious in this episode. Shooting one person in cold blood because you're too lazy to go chasing after another person is probably what I would do if I were a sociopath in the apocalypse too. I think we've all been there XD

3. Sasha's Living Room

Sasha's Living Room Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    somewhere with excessive air conditioning
    So I think the Gov did his twitchy lying thing again (only slightly), but now I've gone and forgotten who he was talking to when he did (probably Andrea).

I was so thrilled to see Michonne watching Glenn and Maggie. Not only did she hear where the prison was but she got her first impression of Rick's group: That it's home to an innocent young couple in love, that Maggie appreciates a "beautiful day," that Maggie asked Glenn to get "the duck" (:roflmao:) so the baby would have something to play with. Michonne was taking all this in from the start. :)

I forgot the soundtrack they had playing when Rick finds Michonne at the fence. Unfortunately it was a bit creepy, like danger was coming. Not happy about the mixed message there. It's no wonder a lot of people miss the romantic undertones to the visuals when sounds like that are playing. (But it's unmistakeable when you change or remove the sound.) Also, it's not a huge deal but I also find it odd Daryl would decide to ignore a "walker" trapped behind a door (i.e. Carol) when they don't know what they're going to find ahead. What if they have to run back and find the walker managed to free itself? I realize TPTB wanted to keep the timing of when he finds that walker so that we see Carol in the next ep, but it seemed a stretch to me as I'd expect Daryl to have more sense than that. (Carl too, after the S2 walker stuck in the mud.)

Whoa, upon seeing Jetamor's post I realize I misread this terribly so I'm editing this into a do-over.

I don't think Glenn's reaction was all that different from Andrea's, was it? Only she was so sick, she couldn't defend herself really. Or do I remember it wrong and she was friendly/welcoming to him from the start somehow?

She's free to sleep with whomever she pleases, whenever she pleases. Personally I just don't get what she saw in him, or when the attraction began. As far as they portrayed it, it doesn't look like she's got stars in her eyes about him "rescuing" her or anything like that. They definitely flirted before this but it didn't seem like anything serious in the least. That being said, I remember some folks I've known who would lower their standards once, just to break up a dry spell.

The guy was suffering enough already. I might have done the same thing, and just confronted him about it gently later. (But if it were me, I'd remind him in an offhand way that Carl and the baby were waiting to see him.)

Better than I remembered (for Maggie in particular), but still kind of off. I have never been happy with how Michonne is portrayed at first. Also, there are various women in Woodbury who seem like people we might see again and you never do, like the doctor and that one Andrea was speaking to outside the other day.

In this episode, Merle calls Michonne crazy but Rick is the one talking to nobody on the phone.

(BTW I have to hand it to @Jetamors for pointing out first but you know Rick created something really good with this group when not just one of its members but its leader can be incapacitated for a while as a newborn baby arrives where they have no food or clothing, and that group still doesn't fall apart.)

#3 Sasha's Living Room, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Katbird and Jetamors like this.
  4. Jetamors

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, that was something I noticed too. I'm not sure if they ever confirmed it in dialogue, but she had to have known that they were Andrea's old group, right? So that might have been another positive "reference".
    I'm not sure if it's right or not, but my interpretation of that was that Daryl was expecting to find Carol as a walker somewhere in that block. Everything else had been cleared out by that point, and he was reluctant to open the door and actually see her like that.

I actually didn't go back to rewatch, so... maybe? Either way though, she wasn't really in a state where she could either seriously resist him or answer detailed questions about his brother.

Katbird likes this.
  5. Sasha's Living Room

Sasha's Living Room Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    somewhere with excessive air conditioning
    I don't think she knew they were Andrea's old group until way later. For one, she would have told them Andrea was there. Or rather, when they went back to Woodbury she would have told Andrea about them.

There is one point where he sees a stuffed-looking walker and he stares at it. I thought the vibe was that he thought it ate Carol. Other than that, I didn't notice any clear sign he was on the lookout for her remains. (But i admit I wasn't looking for them.)

Actually I think he said something like "how about a hug for your old pal Merle" and Andrea just passed out. Maybe @SevenStars was talking about the next conversation or two that Merle and Andrea have after they're settled in at Woodbury for a day.

Katbird likes this.
  6. Jetamors

Walker Pets:
    I don't think there was anything clear, but the way Norman Reedus played it suggests it to me: he finds her scarf, he takes particular note of the walkers in that section, and as you said, it's strange that he wouldn't quickly open the door to kill what he thought was a walker behind it.

Oh, and also from your last post:
    I know what you mean, but I actually think they "retconned" it (for lack of a better word) pretty well in later seasons. Looking at the show as a whole, the way we see Michonne this season isn't how she is all the time, it's how she is in the middle of clawing her way out of some serious trauma. I wouldn't like it if this was the only way she was portrayed, but I like that they eventually turned it into real character development.

Katbird and Sasha's Living Room like this.
  7. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Hey, to all. I am behind on the watch schedule...I'm determined to catch up!

I have a confession about this episode, I cry through almost the whole thing! I don't know why it affects me so deeply, but, oh, my goodness, it does. My poor Rick...watching him tears my heart out. This is the episode that brings Michonne to Team Family, to Rick. It is a beautiful thing, him walking, as we see in other scenes that focus on life, and not death, on the future, not the past, on what is to come, not what they have lost...out with the children, Beth, Carl, and Judith. All about what is possible, about rebuilding. Rick walking towards Michonne, meeting his future...I can't stand it. I blubber the whole time. More tears flowing when Daryl tells Carl about his mom, when they share their experience of loss, omg, poignant; a significant moment for Daryl's story/character. The whole "talk" with Lori, the great Hitchcock-like shot, so good. But, how could they do that to Rick, it hurt me when I first watched it so long ago. I get it though, he just feels everything so deeply. He was trying to use words to describe his pain, he was trying so hard, he felt every single loss was his failure, his fault. It breaks my heart, I'm crying again. He. Is. So. Good. (This episode makes me boohoo!) The line that Hershel says to Rick, the whole scene, really: "I know you want to get away from this."--more tears. (I must be crazy, lol.) Such an acknowledgement of the understanding between those two wonderful characters...Hershel and Rick, such a special relationship. I was very happy that Daryl found Carol, he was hurting because of her loss. They, the creatives/writers were giving us a look at Rick and Daryl as more similar than different. Rick talking to ghosts, Daryl talking about a death that didn't seem real, ghostly...Rick sitting alone, Daryl, as well...Rick carrying out, caring for the helpless, Judith--Daryl does the same for a lost and helpless Carol...all the while, the writers are contrasting Daryl with Merle and comparing him to Rick. So great, so great. (Why haven't any TWD episodes been nominated for Emmys for the writing, again?...I don't get it.)
    Speaking of Merle, he does have his moments. He is no dummy, he absolutely knows Michonne is out to kill them, he cuts his losses and gets out with his life. Michonne is no joke and he knows that. I hate he killed Gargulio, I liked him, but, Merle was right; a third confrontation would have resulted with one of them, Merle or Michonne, being dead. Of course, not Michonne and I was not ready to lose Merle...again...not yet, lol. That Michonne is fierce, the baddest chick.
    The Andrea situation, that silly little girl telling her how to handle walkers. Why was she suppose to learn to shoot a bow from her? She was a lousy shot. Andrea's dreamy doe eyes for the Governor, still not buying it. I'm really glad Rick did not wind up with this Andrea. The way the creatives show us that Michonne is, even in her trauma, willing to fight, not only to survive/live, but, to have an authentic life...not a facade. I don't want to get ahead, but we will see, that that is the true key to having a life, being willing to pass up shallow, weak, fast, and easy to get to deep, solid, real, meaningful. I love Michonne!
    1. Glenn's reaction--maybe because he's a guy, maybe because he was there when they found out he had amputated his own hand and busted out of that building, maybe because he was thinking: "Uh-oh, this mother**ker is alive! He' gonna want to make somebody pay. Kinda like "oh, shit!". Glenn is smart; he knew enough to keep him away from them. And he told him him wasn't taking him back to their camp. I just think it's how a man would react to seeing a guy like that from his past. Andrea isn't somebody Merle would think of as a threat or someone he'd try to hurt. Dixon's have a code. Glenn knows Merle is a tough SOB, that's probably why he reacts in that way.
    2. I'm not a hater, so get cha freak on, Andrea. But, I just have a problem with the Governor. He is just...yilch! She can get her man, I ain't mad at her...but, she knows things are different now, the ZA and all. You know that laying up with someone had consequences before the turn, you can expect that shit to be even more complicated and messy after the world has collasped. I don't roll like that myself, but, hey, do your thing, Andrea. She should have resisted a little while, just so her head could have been right about the Michonne thing. I would have been feeling some type away about my girl being right. Like: "Damn, she said I wasn't thinking right, that I was wanting to stay here for some cray-cray reason. Damnnn!"
    3. Hershel being Hershel. Letting the person ease through the trauma. He knew he was grieving, grief is strange and can do things to a person's mind and perceptions. Hershel may have even been hoping it was true, I would have been. Hershel has nothing but love and respect for Rick and vice versa. It was interesting to see him kinda let Rick explain and then offer to sit with him, trying the phone, as well. Hershel thinks of the best option for whatever situation is at hand. He is very wise.
    4. Well, of course, Michonne is hella bad, just no lines. And, actually, she doesn't need any lines/words. Her circumstances at that point require action, a mind focused on results, not confused by banter. It isn't needed. Kudos to the creatives for taking that approach. It worked. In respect to Andrea, the opposite; almost mindless chatter. Talking to that girl on the fence, please. It was painful to watch her cheesing in the Governor's face. I would rather they just have her jump his bones, get off, and be done, or go for seconds, or whatever, than have her be all: "You think I like you, like you? I do not!"
    Maggie, great as usual. Even with just a small scene.
    5. I can't tell you all how much I cried at this episode. I did before, but it was gut wrenching, to see Rick breakdown. The Governor is a boozer, so is Andrea! They like to have a little libations. I remember seeing those boxes of liquor in the previous episode, he must be sending people on runs to get liquor. I hadn't noticed that before. Rick did the smart thing, telling Hershel about the phone, they are a real family. It was like he was telling his dad. He would not lie to Hershel, he thinks it's real. How great was it that Hershel came to check on Rick, just like a dad.
    I simply have to catch up. I need to read through the thread. I always learn something new from reading the posts. I don't notice quite a lot, until it's pointed out.

#7 Katbird, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Sasha's Living Room and Jetamors like this.