1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll TWD Rewatch Club: Made to suffer 3x08

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by SevenStars, Sep 14, 2016.

?

What grade would give episode 3x07 ?

This poll will close on Oct 14, 2019 at 7:47 PM.
  1. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. C

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Hey guys,

I hope the week is treating you good so far. As for me, all I can say is that I'm alive, lol. We are half-way done with this season. So I'm going to start sending out PM to figure out when we will be doing those live viewing activities. Maybe the sooner we talk about it and schedule it, the more people will be able to join us this time around.

Here are the questions for this episode:
    1. What was your first impression of Sasha?
    2. How did you feel about Andrea pulling that gun on Michonne ?
    3.Why do you think Rick hallucinate Shane ? ( also, did the writers forget what Shane looked like when he died but for the first time I found Shane hot in that hallucination)
    4. What did you think of the writing for the women ?
    5. What did you noticed this time that you didn't noticed last time?

@Sasha's Living Room @lovingdead @Katbird @Flower1petals @Caribbeanqueen11 @MrsG @chaundee @GooeyGoobert @Canuckgir l @Jetamors
    @TexasZAgal

Carribean_Queen likes this.
  2. Jetamors

Jetamors Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I was so happy to see her! The first time I watched, I liked her, but I didn't want to get too emotionally invested in case she died quickly. She and Tyreese are two of my favorite TWD characters, though.
    Well, I'm glad at least she didn't shoot :/ Actually I don't have any complaints about it; to me, it's an iconic moment, and it's what the whole first half of the season was building up to. (Do Michonne and Andrea ever meet again between this episode and Andrea's death? I can't remember now.)
    LOL, probably Bernthal just didn't want to shave.

I think Shane shows up to show that Rick isn't as stable as he's seemed for the last two episodes. This is the first combat situation he's been in since Lori died, and I think he probably still associates shooting people with Shane. (Which makes me wonder if he thought of Shane when he killed Tomas; I wouldn't be surprised if he did, though of course he wouldn't have been hallucinating at that point.)
    My girl Sasha shows up! Carol's conversation with Axel is hilarious, of course, but I also like how quickly and subtly she redirected him away from Beth. There's more than one way to be a protector.

Michonne has had such a crappy day in the last two episodes :( I always feel bad for her at the end of this episode: she had to leave her best friend behind, people hunted her and pointed guns in her face, she had to kill some people, she got shot and almost eaten by zombies, some more people pointed guns in her face and imprisoned her, she had to fight again and kill someone else, she got in an ugly fistfight with the Governor and almost died, her best friend pointed a gun in her face, and then she got to deal with some people pointing guns at her again and threatening to leave her right outside the wall.

On Andrea's side, it's even more Bad Decision Theatre. Which I actually don't object to so much on a characterization level (there are plenty of women in the world who make bad decisions), but we're reaching the point where I'm going "surely this!!!" every single episode. She's in this pattern where something sketchy or red flag-ish happens, she objects to it verbally, but then she... just goes along with it anyway? Which yeah, some people are like that, but think about how hard she fought to be accepted as a equal strategist with the guys in S2. After that, she's had eight months of making it with just her and Michonne. Am I really supposed to think she'll just step back and defer to anyone else? She's still talks a good game, but her actions are less assertive this season, and I don't like that aspect of her character. (If I were rewriting it, I'd have her build stronger relationships with other people in Woodbury, so there's more of a sense that she's doing this for the community, moreso than for the Governor specifically; we get a little of that with Milton, but I would have liked more.)

At Woodbury, I like that Haley shows up again. I think it's important to have characters like her doing their thing in the background--it doesn't need to be a big deal that she's one of the defenders of Woodbury. Dr. Stevens shows up again too, making this one of the only episodes of TWD in which three black women have speaking roles.

Female zombie kill count for this episode: Michonne (1), and I think Sasha (1); she hits one in the head with a shovel in a prison corridor and it doesn't get up again.

Female human kill count: Maggie stabs that dude in the neck.

I'll do a longer post rounding up season 3A, since the list is already stupid long.
    @Sasha's Living Room has been pointing out for the last few episodes that the Governor rarely actually lies, and I noticed that the same is true here: even when he's throwing Merle under the boat, most of what he says isn't actually untrue, just twisted and taken out of context.

Another thing I noticed this time is Michonne's sense of honor: she helps the group get Glenn and Maggie out first, and only when they're in a relatively safe place does she go about her own business in Woodbury.

Sasha's Living Room likes this.
  3. Jetamors

Jetamors Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    The full female zombie kill count for seasons 1 and 2 can be found here. For the first half of Season 3, this is what I get:

Season 3A
    3x01 - Beth (1), Lori (1), Carol (2), Maggie (5-ish), Michonne (2)
    3x02 - Carol (1)
    3x04 - Lori (2), Maggie (2), Carol (2)
    3x05 - Michonne (5)
    3x06 - Andrea (1), Michonne (1 offscreen)
    3x07 - Michonne (2), Andrea (1)
    3x08 - Sasha (1?), Michonne (1)

At least one woman kills a zombie in every episode except for 3x03, and every female character whose actor appears in the credits has killed at least one zombie. Unlike S2, it's also becoming very common for more than one female character to kill a zombie in a given episode.

Time to first kill for characters who are introduced or have their first zombie kill in S3:
    Compiled with lots of thanks to The Walking Dead Wikia. A star next to the name means the character has killed humans.

Carol - First appearance 1x03, first kill 3x01
    Maggie - First appearance 2x02, first kill 3x01
    Beth - First appearance 2x02, first kill 3x01

Big Tiny - First appearance 3x01, first kill 3x02
    Tomas* - first appearance 3x01, first kill 3x02
    Axel - first appearance 3x01, first kill 3x02
    Oscar* - first appearance 3x01, first kill 3x02
    Andrew - first appearance 3x01, no confirmed kills (but hits zombies in the head with a bat in 3x02)

The Governor* - first appearance 3x03, first kill 3x03
    Martinez* - first appearance 3x03, first kill 3x03
    Shumpert* - first appearance 3x03, first kill 3x03
    Tim* - first appearance 3x03, no zombie kills
    Crowley* - first appearance 3x03, no zombie kills
    Lt. Welles - first appearance 3x03, no kills
    Dr. Stevens - first appearance 3x03, no kills
    Rowan (tour guide) - first appearance 3x03, no kills
    Milton - first appearance 3x03, no kills
    Gargulio - first appearance 3x06, first kill 3x06
    Haley - first appearance 3x06, no kills

Tyreese - first appearance 3x08, first kill 3x08
    Sasha - first appearance 3x08, first kill 3x08?
    Allen - first appearance 3x08, no kills
    Donna - first appearance 3x08, no kills
    Ben - first appearance 3x08, first kill 3x08

Unlike previous seasons, many of the characters without confirmed kills are still shown in combat situations, or in reference to them. (For example, Haley hasn't killed a zombie or a person on-screen, but talks about having killed zombies in the past.) So far, the only characters in multiple season 3 episodes who have not been shown to have any combat experience are Milton and Dr. Stevens.

The female human kill count so far is:
    3x06 - Michonne (2)
    3x07 - Michonne (1)
    3x08 - Maggie (1)

Sasha's Living Room likes this.
  4. Sasha's Living Room

Sasha's Living Room Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    somewhere with excessive air conditioning
    tbh, I was thrilled to see a girl with loose natural African hair (like me, except that since it's not the apocalypse IRL, I can do a wash and go with reasonably defined curls). She seemed sweet at first until she started getting practical. I didn't agree with her insistence that whatshername had to be left behind at the "door," so I was glad Tyreese overruled her. Same thing in the prison cell when she was insisting they be let out. Seemed she had practical and hotheaded sides to her from the get go. Sasha and Tyreese were cute siblings to me even before I knew they were siblings.

Frustrated/sad. I kind of want to scream at her that there's still time for her to take the right side, but I have to accept that she will not clue in until after Michonne escapes that things in this town are not on the up-and-up.

Her bed buddy Philip might have convinced her with his excuse for the walker head fish tanks but seeing Daryl and Merle together (and Merle being called a traitor after he just insisted to her that the Gov was a good guy worth sticking with) was obviously the last straw. She must know there is something very wrong in Woodbury from this point.

I think Rick still had misgivings killing people, this season. This is the "few fucks" season, but it's S4 when he stops giving any fucks about it. The trauma of having to do it again gave him a flashback to the trauma of having to kill Shane.

Personally I don't mind the beard. I think it worked fine. Bernthal had to have it for another project he was working on at the time they shot this. I saw him in an interview saying he was worried they wouldn't let him back on the show because of the beard.

Not bad. Maggie is on point, this ep. She's focused on Glenn's injuries, and she takes out the red shirt that was with Merle (which later gets attributed to Rick's invasion group by the Gov. They didn't even know the prison group was there to save them yet when she did that. I like Sasha's practicality (keeping in mind that whatshername has to be dealt with) even if I don't like how hurried she was about it. I like how Carol handled Axel around Beth and on her own (:D). Beth herself wasn't exactly front-and-centre, but at least she had that exchange with Carl about helping Ty and Sasha's group.

Andrea is the odd one out. This is kind of like Lori's situation last season where it feels like the writers aren't being fair to her. She should have been suspicious after the wall incident with Haley, and then with the way the Gov was keeping her from seeing the "enemy" with all sorts of excuses. If it was Michonne, she would have figured out she was being handled. I can only assume Andrea doesn't want to give up her idyllic image of her new man. Before she saw the fish tanks, the only thing that gave her pause was the photo of his dead family.

After Rick's group gets Glenn and Maggie out and they're on the street starting to run away, there's a sign up high on a building in the background that says "let's get away." :lol:

Andrea seems to be disturbed by a photo of the Governor's old family by his bed. :salt:

It's not really a new thing but I forgot Michonne specifically went to kill the Gov this early. I still think she can't ignore a child in need of help though.

#4 Sasha's Living Room, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Jetamors likes this.
  5. Sasha's Living Room

Sasha's Living Room Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    somewhere with excessive air conditioning
    Forgot to mention a few things about the Governor that stick out for me. This is one ep where his control streak gets the spotlight. The way he yells at the walker in his daughter's form, the way he insists on clearing out the prison even though he has no intention of using it for anything, and the way he vilifies Merle (who he is really just livid didn't kill Michonne and he obviously knows full well isn't working with the prison group)... it all indicates to me how he struggles with his need to control everything around him.

Also there's something else I forgot to mention that I hadn't noticed before:
    The old (?) man that they interrogate and then tie up and knock out? When he wakes up, he says there were "6 or 7 men," and conveniently leaves out that these "men" were looking for one of their people that was being held in Woodbury. Nice description for 3 men and one woman who specifically asked where their people were. :lol:

Jetamors likes this.
  6. Caribbeanqueen11

Caribbeanqueen11 Supplier of Mints
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I was so looking forward to the introduction of Tyrese and CC did not disappoint. Where this went sideways was the meaningless story of them being "accidentally" ousted from the prison to get to Wooodbury for what exactly? Oh yeah, to end up back at the prison. It became so glaring in this episode and the rest of the Season that GM was just throwing various storylines at the wall to see what sticks, even most internet fans were getting frustrated by some of the pointless missteps.

Why they needed to kill Oscar at Woobury, is anyone's guess. The only reason I could think of was to focus on Ricks state of mind, particularly as his hallucinating Shane is what distracted him and caused Oscars deaths BUT there was no mention of this, no guilt feeling, nada, they could have easily just have Oscar injured rather than killed.

The convo with Axel was creepy. Beth is 17, and his response is interesting?! Ewww.

1. What was your first impression of Sasha? I loved Sasha and still do. From her first intro you knew she was the take no shit kinda survivor. I love how assertive she is and SMG is amazing in the role!
    2. How did you feel about Andrea pulling that gun on Michonne ? That whole situation was all kinds of wrong. She's known the Governor
    for all of 5 minutes and she's willing the believe Michonne, whom she was with for almost nine months would return to kill the G for no reason? I also noticed Michonne was the one who lowered her weapon, turned her back and walked away. Andrea held her gun on Michonne the entire time and did not lower the weapon until Michonne had left. I have to wonder if Michonne had tried to kill the Governor whether Andrea would have pulled the trigger.

3.Why do you think Rick hallucinate Shane ? ( also, did the writers forget what Shane looked like when he died but for the first time I found Shane hot in that hallucination) lol, I'm not a fan of Shane's or JB's, but I believe he had the beard for another role. I think he hallucinated Shane as he is still in shock from Lori's death and in his mind he believes he failed her by not protecting her - the one criticism Shane levelled at him time and time again, so it's appropriate that he would have imagined Shane coming to kill him.
    4. What did you think of the writing for the women ? Other than Andrea (who does not even have basic common sense) and Beth who just looks doe-eyed and lost in every shot, without any character development, the writing for the women has improved drastically.
    5. What did you noticed this time that you didn't noticed last time? The Governor is a coward. When Woodbury is being "attacked" he's not in the thick of it as a leader should be able to do instead he's urging (and following the citizens indoors while his "soldiers" handle the problem - I hadn't realized the Governor was such a pussy!

Sasha's Living Room and Jetamors like this.