1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll TWD Rewatch Club: Pretty much dead already 2xo7

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by SevenStars, Jul 24, 2016.

?

What grade would you give last episode ?

This poll will close on Aug 24, 2019 at 10:50 PM.
  1. A

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. B

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    @ReeciePiecey, I agree with your points about Hershel. When we were doing the rewatch, I posted that same sentiment about them being all up in Hershel's business and his space. Rick was trying to honor Hershel's point of view, but Shane is so extra, all. the. time--he just blew a gasket after the situation with Lori came to light. I have to really hold back sometimes when it comes to Shane...I get him. And, you are right to be annoyed by his behavior, but, to him, for me , anyway, he doesn't see any other way. He has crossed so many lines, rightly or wrongly, and does not have it in him to back away from Lori, or Carl, that baby, or Rick. He can't.

#21 Katbird, Jan 10, 2017 at 9:31 PM
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017 at 9:37 PM
  2. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    @lovingdead Yeah I'm from the south. The land of stand your ground, this is my property I can shoot you for walking on it lol. So I completely understood why Rick was doing what he was doing and going about it the way that he did.
    For Rick to act like Shane wanted him to act is to be the Ricktator who everyone hates who makes whatever decisions he wants or thinks best for everyone regardless of what other people think or want for themselves. We know that doesn't work for the ZA.

You could say Shane was ahead of the curve but you can also say that people like Shane who immediately went to that place a few months into the ZA are the villains in the story. Their the Negans and the Governors.

@Katbird I have love, sympathy and frustration for Shane as a character but cringe at his actions. I could never be team Shane as a leader because I think he had really lost it very early on but no on really noticed until Rick returned and his cracks started to show. He really is a tragic figure to me. I think Shane was experiencing some serious Acute Stress disorder/PTSD. Many of his actions and behaviors can be directly attributed to that. He exhibits isolation, paranoia, psychological distress, difficulty experiencing positive feelings, exaggerated blame towards others for the trauma, aggression. So many of his actions and thoughts were coming from his PTSD. If he could have made it to the farm and did some farming with Rick or met Dr Denise he may have gotten to come back.

It's sad to me because I get the sense that he and Rick had a genuine and amazing connection preZA. I don't think that the Shane we saw was the real Shane. I also love how fleshed out the characters were in the earlier seasons. We get to see so much of who they are as people if you really pay attention.

3. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I've always said Shane would have turned into a true villain like Negan if left unchecked. He was violence first. I keep going back to how Rick handled the CDC incident vs Shane (and Daryl). Rick got more info out of Jenner that actually helped save them while the other two went straight into rage mode and thought violence would help but it was useless and actually counterproductive.

4. ReeciePiecey

Patron

Walker Pets:
    @lovingdead Yes I totally agree. But I dont think Shane was really the leader type. He was always the running back to Rick's quarterback and he knew that and accepted it pre ZA which I think contributed to his falling apart when the world went to hell and Rick was in a coma. It must have been terrifying for Shane, for the first me in his life he had to make some serious decisions without Rick to guide him. Shane was the wild bad boy and Rick was the responsible level headed one. In the first scene we see of Rick and Shane, Rick is literally in the driver's seat. When they arrive at the roadblock Rick immediately takes charge and starts telling the other officers what to do.

When the ZA happens, its very telling that Shane does what he thinks Rick would do, he gets Rick's family to safety. Even at the camp before Rick arrived, Shane was in an authority position but he didn't really "do anything" he was basically micromanaging and sexing Lori and playing with Carl. I think Daryl is well aware that he is not a leader and feels more comfortable following someone and I appreciate that aspect of his character.

#24 ReeciePiecey, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:45 PM
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017 at 11:01 PM
  5. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    Oh yes, I know. Thing is he did try to take over as leader. Plus, you have the fact that Darabont almost let him be and a lot of fans think he should have been. I don't get too worked up about it but it is mind boggling. Daryl is a follower. And that's ok. He hooked up with the Claimers awful quick because despite being a loner he really does like having a group and being a lieutenant not a leader. I feel like Rick in the same situation would choose to be alone over part of a rogue posse. Michonne is the same.

6. ReeciePiecey

Patron

Walker Pets:
    You think Darabont would have changed the story that drastically? lol no way would I want to be a part of Shane's group. Its only a matter of time before you would be Otis'ed. I know he really liked JB and gave him his own show later.

ALDGRichonneLover and lovingdead like this.
  7. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    He had thought about killing Rick instead of Shane.

8. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    Also, AL wasn't his first choice for Rick.

9. ReeciePiecey

Patron

Walker Pets:
  10. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    Some people claim he was amazing. I liked the first two seasons but after hearing more of his vision, I'm glad he left.

11. Ms.J.Richonne

Ms.J.Richonne Plotting to kill Negan
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Well I am happy he was overruled. Who was his 1st choice?

12. Ms.J.Richonne

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Right...

ReeciePiecey likes this.
  13. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    Thomas Jane. He wasn't overruled, TJ was in another show.
    LH, MMB, JB and TJ were all in one of his films together.

Delightfully Thomi likes this.
  14. Ms.J.Richonne

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Ummm no just no. The stars aligned just right and we got Andy. Halelujah!!