1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll TWD Rewatch Club: Secrets 2x06

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by SevenStars, Jul 20, 2016.

?

What grade would you give episode 2x05 ?

This poll will close on Aug 20, 2019 at 7:25 PM.
  1. A

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. B

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. C

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Hey guys,

I was thinking that maybe we can schedule a time/day for us all to watch the season premiere and season final episodes in each seasons. We can do a live posting for these episodes and later make a more comprehensive post discussing the episodes. For this event, we wouldn't have to do it on Wednesday/Sunday. We would do it on any day and time when most, if not all, of us can be here to do it. It was just something I was thinking about and I thought it would be fun to do. Let me know what you guys think of this idea and if you are interested in doing it. Now onto the questions.

1.What did you think of Maggie’s reaction to getting the abortion pills for Lori ?

2. What did think about the reason Herschel gave for keeping those walkers in the barn?

3.Was there any improvement in the writing for the women ?

4. What did you noticed this time that you didn't notice last time ?

@Sasha's Living Room @lovingdead @Katbir @Flower1petals @Caribbeanqueen11 @MrsG@chaundee @Gooey Goobert @Canuckgirl @Jetamors
    @TexasZAgal

I'm going to keep posting the plan for this club in every post, going forward for at least the first few weeks so that those who are joining us for the first time can get the info. For those who read it in the last post, just skip it and go to the questions.

1. We watch two episodes per week. Wednesday and Sunday. We spend the days in between each episode discussing the episodes. So we have would have a 3 days to watch and discuss each episodes.

2. I will try to post at least 3 questions in each new episode post but that doesn't mean that's the only thing we can discuss. If people have other comments, or questions base on the episode, they are free to post them and add them to the discussions. The questions that I be posting is just like something to break the ice, nothing more. So people don't have to feel obligated to only talk or respond to these questions. This discussion is free for all type of style as long we try to stay within the context of the episodes.

3. The post for each episodes will be posted in the seasons thread with a poll for each episodes.

2. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I don’t know why I really, really liked the vibe between Daryl and Andrea. I think I would have like to see a slow burn romance story between them. Andrea also had good chemistry with Shane but I saw it more as something hot that would burn out fast. But with Daryl and Andrea, I don’t know why but their vibe work for me. I know nothing will come of it but I wish it had been different.

I loved how Glenn is trying to take care of Lori while keeping her secret. I wish she had been more open or kind in her response to him. I understand why she couldn’t. She was trying to forget/ignore this problem because she wasn’t sure how to deal with it.So having him in her face constantly made that hard for her. But she should stop putting in the middle of her shit. She gets mad him for not being able to quietly, silently handle her huge secrets and then she ask him to get abortions pills for her in secret. I don’t understand why she couldn’t come up with a stupid reason or logically one, like wanting to be more active in their survival by going to the run with Glenn and learning how to do it.

I love what Maggie said to Glenn and I totally agreed with her. Glenn needs to start caring about his own survival, not only the survival of the group. He needed to be more careful about the risks he takes in the name of helping the team. I’m glad that Maggie was able to make him see that.

I hated, hated how Andrea and Shane got together.

I know I shouldn’t but I loved the way Shane threaten Dale.

I loved the fight between Rick and Lori. I like how the writers gave both of them a pov in the argument so that I didn’t feel like I was hearing only Rick’s or Lori’s side but both their sides. I understood both their reactions. I think Lori made a good argument for why having the baby was a bad idea. And I thought Rick’s argument was solid, especially because I believed he thought he could talk Herschel into allowing them to stay on the farm.

I still dislike Herschel. He still annoys me.

1.What did you think of Maggie’s reaction to getting the abortion pills for Lori ?

I get that she was traumatize because this was probably her first encounter with a walker where she truly felt her life was in danger but I didn't like the way she went off on Lori. Lori didn't ask her for the favor. Lori didn't tell her to go with Glenn. There was no reason for her to be so over-the- top in her encounter with Lori. I thought she owed Lori an apology for it. So I really didn't like Maggie in that scene.

2. What did think about the reason Herschel gave for keeping those walkers in the barn?
    I thought it was an idealize/rationalize believe that Herschel was only able to hold onto because he had been fortunate enough to be isolated from truly seeing the world turn into hell. I get where he was coming from but to me it sounded really stupid, especially coming from the doctor and someone who believes in God. These people aren't just sick, they are dead. The reason they turned into walkers is because they are no longer alive, so to believe that they can somehow come back from that is to believe that we can now wake the dead. Since Herschel is so into preaching God's words, he should know that only one who wake the dead is God/Jesus. Therefore, those who die are dead for until the returning of Jesus. I just don't get his logic keeping his family in the barn instead of giving their body peace.

I like the writing for Lori for the most part. At least they got Andrea moving in the right direction even thought I didn't like the way she decided to have sex with Shane. I liked that some of the men were shown learning how to shot or at least be better shooters along side Andrea.

I noticed the vibe between Daryl and Andrea, I didn't see that before. It makes me wonder what could have been if the writers had been more willing to be flexible with Andrea.

3. Jetamors

Jetamors Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    Sure, I'd be interested in doing a live watch. I don't know how interesting I'd be, though...

Oh, right, this is the "Georgia desperately needs better sex ed" episode. [​IMG] PSA: THE MORNING AFTER PILL ONLY PREVENTS CONCEPTION! IT WILL NOT END A PREGNANCY! [​IMG] While I didn't think it was OOC for the characters not to know that, it made all the deep dilemmas of the episode ring hollow to me, since nothing they did was actually going to affect Lori's baby.

I've seen a lot of people criticizing Hershel's stance on walkers here, but TBH I don't think it's unreasonable. Wrong, of course, but not unreasonable given the information he has available. (Though even if he had been right, and the zombies were just sick, what was the other option for dealing with well zombie?) I also kind of wonder how much people's IRL perspectives inform it; I'm not a doctor, but I do work in the medical field.

Kind of? I generally liked how they did Lori's storyline in the episode. Andrea veered between okay (I especially liked her shooting the o in that sign) and uuuugggggghhhhhh (did she really have to sleep with Shane? Really???). It was also nice to see the other women (and Jimmy) finally pick up some weapons. I would have liked some kind of flashback or acknowledgement to whether Shane taught Glenn/T-Dog/Morales/Dale how to shoot, but other than that I approved.

Update to the female zombie kill count: Andrea killed four zombies this episode, bringing her full total to six. She's still the only woman who's killed a zombie on-screen. This breaks a streak: so far, we've had two four-episode stretches in which no woman killed a zombie - 1x01 to 1x04, and 2x02 to 2x05.

I've been paying more attention to Dale since my first watch, and he was actually pretty great in this episode! He defused a lot of really tricky situations. Though I'm still so curious... did the rest of the group really not know about Lori/Shane?

And while it's not a new thing, the end of this episode always guts me :( I remember the first time I watched I was wondering so much how Rick would react when he found out about Lori/Shane, but revealing that he knew all along... that just killed me. He isn't normally the "type" of character that I like, but stuff like this put me firmly on his side.

I'll also have to watch out for whether Glenn's (in)ability to lie ever comes back up.

4. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I have a few problems with some of our beloveds in this episode. It was not my usual love fest for them all, lol. I think it was coming clear to me that the issues of life would be magnified greatly in the ZA. Nothing was ever cut and dried about life and the ZA has made things just that much messier. It was more than enough having to watch when Rick didn't "know" about Shane and Lori, now we have that revealed and the circumstances are made worse. Hershel is a wise man, even if he is wrong about the walkers. He knew that everyone in that group was not kosher. I wonder if he has doubts about what happened with Otis, you know he meant Shane when he made that comment to Dale. That damn Shane. That's a bad boy. I mean, like he bad and he is bad, both uses of that word. He has no boundaries. He is laying up with Andrea not long after being involved with Lori...messy. He threatened Dale about his secret/s. Kinda mean to Andrea, guess it didn't matter--'cause girl was all over, and on, that! Shane is a real piece of work. I was a little aggravated with Rick. I just think he was harsher than he should have been to Lori, about thinking of ending the pregnancy, I mean. He isn't the one pregnant. How scary for her. That is a frightening situation to be in. I'd be scared. Pregnancy has always been risky for women, technology is what eased that a bit. They have none to speak of now. Now I know the other mess is different. He reacted so funny...mad she didn't include him/share the decision with him. Hardly a blip about her and Shane. But, this is Rick...he is already focused on the future...what ever future they can make. Lori does not share his vision, optimism, view of the world. I don't think they ever did. Maggie let Glenn know she needs him to take surviving seriously...she had a rude awakening in that store. It was kinda her saying "you're right about the walkers and I'm right about you and your place in this group. We gotta get on the same page..no Rick and Lori mess for us".
    1.I think her reaction was more to her being/letting herself get pregnant. I would be inclined to think like that. I don't want to be mean, but I would say something. "Why y'all do that? That was a bad idea. You should have been thinking 'bout that before you was sexing. I mean, com' on, this is not the time to be pregnant!" Then, maybe she was just po'd that Glenn was helping her and not Rick.
    2. Hershel is being honest about what he thinks. He probably thinks that he doesn't owe them an explanation about how he runs his family. He thinks "it's none of your business what I do, y'all can roll out". He doesn't think they are dead, he thinks they're sick...he's wrong, but he is behaving according to that belief. I see why he doesn't want them to stay initially, he is protecting his secret.
    3. This episode had some themes that have been absent, agency and control, for the women. Andrea, Lori, and Maggie. I like that they showed the three with the ability to act and make choices separate from men, but then the choices bring them back to strong connection to men. Andrea has sex with Shane, she chooses and that's good. But can you be anymore alpha than Shane? I see it has making sure she has that connection to him of being a sexual partner. Then Lori choosing to continue her pregnancy...again solidifying the protection of the alpha to beat all alphas, he is invested in not only protecting Lori and Carl, but seeing this pregnancy through to a successful end, a living baby, his baby. Maggie, well, she just realized the walkers aren't sick, so, yeah, she is gonna makes sure she has the one thing that can be equal to the strength of the alphas or even better, brains. Her model, her own father, has that too, naturally she'd value that quality. She secures that prize/protection for herself and her familly. Her father is elderly, with two women and a boy in tow, she tells Glenn in plain words, "I will come in to that circle, but you have to make some changes.". Does any of this make sense? They give, the writers, then they take it away. But getting better.
    4. I noticed how ready Hershel is for them to get the hell on. I see how out of control Shane is getting. He is liking the way the world is. He has no way/no one to check him. He has crossed every boundary...he is not interested in them anymore. He thinks they are useless in this world, and obviously didn't think much of boundaries before the turn. I noticed I love Glenn more each season. I liked they way Daryl talked to Andrea...he has a good heart. He just charged it to the game.
    Looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts on the episode.

#4 Katbird, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    SevenStars likes this.
  5. Sasha's Living Room

Sasha's Living Room Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    somewhere with excessive air conditioning
    I'm interested in a group watch though I'd probably end up having to drop in and out (or just plain disappear), no matter the time of day. There's a chance I might be free the whole time, but to expect it would just be getting my hopes up.

Lots of interesting comments above! I hope to jump into the convo soon but for now I'm (mostly) just getting my thoughts down. ;)
    With how she stomped around in the pharmacy after finding out, I got the impression she might have been angry either way. Just going to say right now that Lori did not deserve Maggie's tantrum at all. At the same time I can understand why she blew up right then.

Again, it's not an excuse, but Maggie wasn't just thinking about herself. The speech she gave Glenn about how he shouldn't keep putting himself in danger? You know she meant every word of it because her actions back it up, including both insisting on going with Glenn even though she's supposed to be mad at him, and that emotional reaction. Also, although she had doubts, the pharmacy walker was the final confirmation that Glenn was right when he insisted that walkers were dead people. Maggie even changed her language. In the same episode that she complained about Glenn calling them walkers and dead people, she accepted the reality presented to her and started referring to them that way, herself. All because she finally saw the truth of it with her own eyes. Sadly, that means she also had to finally come to terms with the fact her mother, brother, and all those other people she knows by name are all dead and have been for a long time. That's some emotional stuff to put up with.

@Jetamors I lol'd at the GA sex ed thing. Thanks for the reminder. It's been so long since I learned about emergency contraception, I completely forgot there was a difference between that one and the actual abortion pill.

I agree with Jetamors on this. If the broadcasts only showed people being attacked by walkers, and not people dying and becoming walkers, then it's easy to tell yourself this is a disease spread by bites alone. And the only way you'd know that only dead people turn is to see it yourself. Most of Rick's group still thinks you have to be bitten at this point in the story too, remember. If there is a sliver of hope your loved one isn't dead (and could even come back to who they once were), then I think most people are going to seize upon it. I don't blame Hershel for doing so, however wrong he was.

I agree with everyone, Lori's POV was much better presented. Especially in the first confrontation with Rick. She was being a hypocrite but she did have a good point about him keeping Hershel's stance about the farm to himself. (What if she might have been able to help?) What a difference it makes how much time we got, following her around and getting to see things through her eyes, huh? (I suspect we saw what Rick was doing the whole time, more people might be criticizing her.)

I don't know what to make of Carl's comment about Lori being a "housewife." It kind of came out of nowhere so it's hard to tell what the writers were going for there. Did they want Carl to be the mouthpiece for the idea that Lori is still too attached to the past? Was it a hint that Shane's ways had been rubbing off on Carl? Or was it actually meant all in "good fun?" I think it's significant to point out that by saying that, Carl was specifying that the work Lori was doing wasn't housewife's work. By extension, Lori saying she doesn't have a house? It's kind of like they're implying there's no place in this world for a housewife-without-a-house.

Andrea also continued improving in this episode. I don't mind that she slept with Shane, though the how and when of it both definitely bother me.

#1 thing I noticed this time? Stealth walkers with possible teleportation powers. Especially the one in the pharmacy (how did it get back there and how did it not ever show up or make noise even when they were having sex???) but also the ones that suddenly appeared en masse when Andrea and Shane were out searching for Sophia. They were coming from all directions (even outside the garage door, wtf) out of nowhere even though it was totally clear just moments before!!!

But my, how things have changed. I can't decide if it's what he's been through since then, or because he's more compatible with her than Lori, or both, but I can't imagine S6 Rick keeping Hershel's insistence that they leave from Michonne. To me this shaky foundation for communication was a sign of Rick and Lori's marital troubles.

Even though it's probably one of the most soap opera-y episodes, this one might be one of my faves of S2. I'm gaining a new appreciation for Gleggie, while still shaking my head at the mishmash of Dale actions I like and don't like. I also thought Andrea's visit to Daryl was cute. Maggie's S2 hair is probably her best hair in the series. I'll have to see S3-4 again to be sure. ;)

6. Sasha's Living Room

Sasha's Living Room Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    somewhere with excessive air conditioning
    I think I get it (maybe - correct me if I"m wrong). Dale was getting ahead of himself and that confrontation was fruitless and kind of painful to watch. Okay Dale, so you figured out Shane killed Otis. What did you expect to accomplish by telling such a dangerous man that you were on to him, essentially implying he's human garbage to his face? Did you expect him to give you a prize? It's like Dale was the one trying to get himself killed and not Andrea. And then he pushes it further in the next ep. I like that his heart is in the right place on this stuff, but wtf.

It could have made an interesting relationship if Andrea and Daryl got closer after that. He could have taught her hunting and tracking.

I guess they all could have learned about it during the time skip between S2 and S3. Until rewatching though, I somehow assumed they knew. My initial response was that Dale was wrong and they didn't know, but he reads people pretty well. There's no reason to think he wasn't right about that.

I was mostly just along for the ride on my first watch and wasn't analyzing too much, but I somehow wasn't surprised at all that Rick knew. I had a gut feeling for a while that he was just keeping his mouth shut because he understood why it happened and he knew that it was over.

You know, I respected Rick's decision to let sleeping dogs lie. Even if other choices were available, it implied he was capable of a level of maturity that many people don't even know exists. Put simply, he put it on Lori to come clean about her mistakes rather than making it all about preserving/restoring his self-image. Despite all the hurt and anger he felt, he still understood that what she did doesn't reflect on him or diminish who he is as a person (i.e. make him "less of a man"). That actually impressed me. It's only now that I'm reading everyone's posts, I'm getting an idea about how this might have had just as much of an effect on the GA's opinion of Rick as the fact Shane and Daryl seemed to be more significant "badass" moments than him. I'm not happy to realize that, but as I see it, if there was a problem with people's view of Rick as a leader in the beginning, it's only partly (maybe 30%) the GA's preconceived ideas of gender dynamics/power roles but even more (~70%) the writers not giving Rick enough opportunities to shine. I suspect the writers were closer to my way of thinking on this than the GA is, as I don't think they intended for a noticeable section of the viewing audience to completely write Rick off (no matter how morally grey they made Shane's actions).

It seems that way, doesn't it? Maybe the way GM wanted it was to imply Shane had it right all along. But the way it went under SG, Shane would not have survived. He thought he could make it alone, but his disastrous run with Otis implies he is a crap strategist and planner, and even then with ~5000 walkers per person out there, he was going to need a group. The only kind of group he might have belonged with would have been something like the Claimers. I'm not so sure he'd have been happy living with people like that though. I don't think Shane was happy with what he saw in the mirror after killing Otis, and those guys would have been like a whole lot of living, breathing mirrors.

Glenn's progression throughout the story makes me sad. There are many good things I'm glad for: He becomes more confident (which I attribute to Maggie's influence) and his experience makes him a smarter fighter and strategist... but his personality changes. After Terminus he's not the eternal optimist anymore. He's downright dark and gloomy throughout S5, even seeming to attempt to bring Michonne down with him at one point. (Thanks to the Gov/Terminus/Eugene!) It's just so sad to see where he started and then think about where he could have ended up. I was so happy to see his interactions with Nicholas and Enid go the way they did in S6. He was becoming his best self again and to me, it was great.

Katbird, Gooey Goobert and Jetamors like this.
  7. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Slowly chugging along.

I don’t think she was as mad at Lori as she was at the situation that happened before. I think a part of her is also reacting to how they treat Glenn because she brings it up right after to him. She was definitely spot on about Glenn.

I still believe Maggie was a bit harsh, but I think her emotions were running high after nearly being killed.

I get it. I’m not sure what information he’s working with, but I can see him, a man of medicine and God, thinking that it’s only a disease. And to him, any disease has a potential for a cure. I’m not sure if he’s aware that the person actually dies before they become a walker, but if he’s not, I can see him thinking this is just another disease mankind has been saddled with.

However, he should have let Rick’s group know of that potential threat. Yeah, yeah, it’s his property, they have no business. But this is something that poses a danger to TF. Simply telling them no isn’t going to carry that weight. What if Glenn had been injured when he went in the barn? What if the walkers were let loose? These people have a right to know.

The writing has been better. The women are allowed to do more than ever had in S1.

I noticed this solidifying of roles. Last episode Carol told Lori that she’s Rick’s wife, basically the First Lady. Carl tells her that she’s a housewife.

I hate every time a character makes a sexist remark. It may be in character for some, like Merle, but I still cringe. Hershel telling Lori be grateful that she doesn’t have a girl since they’re not as simple as boys, Shane goading Andrea, telling her she shoots like a girl. That’s part of the reason why I hated Daryl’s hallucination of Merle. I get it. I can see these characters saying these things. But it’s still nails on the chalkboard for me.

Glenn telling Maggie that he can’t play poker because he sucks at lying is quite honestly the most adorable thing I’ve heard. I’ve always found people who can’t lie for shit endearing. Hey, you’ll know when they’re not being honest. I’m gonna keep an eye out for later episodes to see if Glenn can lie or not. Although I wouldn’t be too surprised if he can since the ZA has changed him quite a bit. Lying is probably another skill he picked up along the way.

The ironic book that Dale brought titled, “The Case of the Missing Man” while they’re in search for a missing person as well.

Daryl being the only one from the group to see that Andrea used the gun for protection. I’m surprised everyone else’s reaction to her guarding has been WTF so far. Why is it that unbelievable?

Lori allowing Carl to learn to shoot is one of the examples of why I think she would have adapted. She put up resistance, but she relented. I think over time she would have changed herself as needed.

I never realized how closely linked the Greenes and the Grimes were when it came to each other’s pregnancies. Glenn was the first one to know about Lori’s pregnancy and was there for her. Maggie delivered Judith. And now Rick is carrying a sick Maggie to Hilltop, making sure she and her baby will be just fine. I really just love Glenn and Lori’s interaction. Glenn was really sweet bringing back what Lori asked and the prenatal vitamins in case she changed her mind.

I posted back during Maggie’s introduction that I was mad they give that kill to Daryl, and when I first saw this episode, I was upset that they didn’t have Maggie take care of this walker on her own, but now it makes sense. Maggie hasn’t killed a walker before because she still views them as people. She says so as such just before they enter into the Pharmacy. She needed to see Glenn kill that walker up close and realize these things are the furthest thing from being human. I’m not sure why it took me this long to put it together. I knew she shared her father’s beliefs, but I assumed she still killed walkers while on her run.

The ending scene with Lori and Rick arguing was great. AL and SWC are fantastic actors, and they did amazing in that scene. The writing for that scene was top notch because I had no idea who was in the right. They both were to me. I understood where Lori was coming from. Why she kept her pregnancy hidden from Rick because she wanted to come to a decision on her own and lay that burden on herself. I understood why Rick was hurt and how he wants to do more. I loved the bit where she finally confesses to Rick that she slept with Shane, and Rick doesn’t scream or yell. He’s just there. He even formulates her own excuse. He puts those words in her mouth, and she agrees. Just another crack in their marriage, and why they don’t work.

8. Caribbeanqueen11

Caribbeanqueen11 Supplier of Mints
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm having some technical difficulties with my Blu-ray player, so I'll have to comment on this episode by memory.

First, I would say that Angela Kang is not my favorite writer, and I think the weakest writer on the writing staff IMO, however she doesn't do a bad job with this episode.

This is one of the episodes that GM mentions in his post firing from the show. One of the things he revealed was the fact that FD had intended to have the reveal of Lori and Shane sleeping together to be a huge event. It is my personal belief that the fight that Shane and Rick had in a later episode was planned to occur as result of Rick finding out that Lori and Shane slept together and not the way it actually played out on the screen.

GM felt that he would rather write the episode in a matter of fact kind of way, without focusing too long on the reveal and decided Rick's passing comment in response that he already knew, with little reaction, was sufficient. I recall that some of the GA were surprised at the lack of a bigger reaction from Rick, especially given the lead up with the focus placed on the 'affair' since the very first episode of Season1. I know some of you up thread agree that the scene was well played, but I was surprised at Rick's comment that he already knew, especially in light of the conversation he had with Shane just the show prior where he started engaging him in a conversation about his sexual prowess. I found it strange that a man who has had some inclination that his wife of over 10 years had been sleeping with his best friend would try to engage that friend in a discussion of that nature. For me it just added to the Rick is a chump arguments. On a recent rewatch of this episode a few weeks ago, I actually found myself wondering about the depth of Rick's love for Lori and whether he was just going through the motions. His reaction to me was as if she was confessing to an innocuous event, like "hon my engagement ring fell down the drain a few weeks ago and I didn't want to tell you".

1. Anyhow, in answer to the questions, I do agree that Maggie's reaction to Lori after returning from the pharmacy was kind of harsh. I did wonder, given that Carl was better, why she did not volunteer to go with Glenn to the pharmacy herself. She knew Maggie and Glenn had gone previously and it was relatively safe. It is one of the things that begin to grate on me for the next few episodes, her sense that she is the "leaders wife" and can just give orders to people that they will follow. It is one thing that my sister hated the most about this character.

2. I do kind of understand Hershel's need to keep his loved ones in the barn and to not tell the group about what he was doing. His thinking was that they would not be staying there for long, and he had heard them talk about how they dispense with Walkers so he knew that if he revealed his secret they would likely try to intervene and harm what he believed was his loved ones. It was his home and his family and in all fairness, he had not been out there seeing what these walkers are capable of, so it's easier for me understand him wanting to believe that the "illness" could be cured.

3. You know honestly, the writing for the woman did not improve much in my opinion. That Lori would take a morning after pill several weeks later just irritated me. The fact that it clearly says "morning after pill" on the package, and she knew to ask Glen to pick them up, leads me to believe she's heard of them. This, added to the fact that Maggie refers to them as "abortion pills" also pisses me off because it's as if they want to paint her (Maggie) as some bible thumping backwards individual, which made little sense because just the day before she had sex with a stranger in a drugstore. I choose to believe Maggie used those terms because she was pissed off at what occurred and wanted to lash out at Lori, but she was right in that Lori should "have gotten them herself". Then we have Andrea who goes out after her first shooting lesson and excursion and gets so hyped at her prowess with a gun that she must have sex to work off the tension. It's like they were writing the opening scene of a porn when they thought this up. The way she reached over and placed her hand on JB's cock then proceed to follow its obvious outline was very blatant (and to this day surprising for AMC), coupled with the look on her face like she was desperate for it and would get it one way or other, just kind of creeped me out. His pushing the chair back and saying "go on then!", it just felt to me like she was servicing the alpha. As an aside, after that scene and the way it was played there was no way I wanted her anywhere near Rick as a possible love interest. It does bear repeating however that even in this Shane is still being shown as the ultra Alpha and Rick is the teddy bear chump, pushover husband IMO.

What I noticed on my last rewatch is totally superficial, but I always thought Nebraska was the episode when Rick got really sexy to me, but I recall seeing the scene with him and Shane by the car when Glenn walks towards them with the basket of peaches and the look on his face and his stance is sexy af. I remember sitting up at that scene and thinking daaayyuum! He is fine af! LOL

9. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I like GM's interpretation better. Rick is a perceptive guy. He would have picked this up quick and ruminated over it, which is part of the reason for his lack of reaction. If it become the big event that FD wanted, it gives the impression that Rick didn't pick up on it.

I also think the lack of reaction is just another piece in their eroding marriage. Lori even encourages him to yell, but he doesn't. He carries on like it isn't much of a deal.

Him bringing up Shane's sexual history is interesting. Maybe he was giving Shane the opportunity to come forth?
    I think she wanted to be as discreet as possible. Had she went with Glenn that would raise red flags and questions. We know later down the road, if she is backed into a corner, she has no problem heading out on her own (2.08 "Nebraska"). Unfortunately, the writers didn't want her getting far.
    I didn't think of Rick as being a pushover, but I did appreciate that he was portrayed less of macho, macho man like Shane, which I always found way too overdone and almost caricature like in 2.05, "Chupacabra" where his shirt is undone and he tells Andrea they'll handle, and then there's this scene of the men heading out with their weapons. I had a giggle fest at that shot because it just looked ridiculous to me.

Anyway, I've always liked Rick as being the reasonable, level headed, sensitive guy in comparison to Shane, and him being jerked around for a bit only amplified my love. I don't know why. Maybe because he didn't deserve it but he wasn't an ass about it either? Not sure, but it got me feeling sorry for him.

10. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I really gotta learn how to "tag" and all that other tech stuff. I am very tech-challenged. Sorry.
    There was a whole lot of fighting, it seems from the beginning, about the direction of the story for this show. My goodness!
    Caribbean Queen11, thanks for the background info. I felt kinda the same way about Rick's tepid reaction to Lori's admission about being with Shane. It felt like: "It's cool. I don't mind sharing with my bro." Rick doesn't strike me as that type of guy. In light of another comment Shane makes to Lori in the upcoming episode, about it being a long time coming for them, really makes me feel the oddness of Rick's response. Framing him as a cuckold upsets me. I knew it was a little off, for me, anyway, for some reason. And, I'm always torn about Shane and give Lori a pass, mostly, for being with Shane. She was in a bad place and Shane, well, is Shane. I could see Rick and Shane having that fight after Rick finds out about them. They were really struggling with how to tell this story. I'm not disappointed with how it has gone, for the most part. But knowing about the in-fighting, in retrospect, helps me understand why sometimes it felt off kilter or something to me.
    I thought the Shane/Andrea trist was interesting, but I got it. This subject of women without the structure of society has been running through the story from the beginning. They are trying to examine that subject, very subtly, so it is very hard to connect the dots. I see why it was done. She had just used the skills he had been teaching her to help her survive, and she did a good job, a really good job. She makes herself available to him as a sexual partner. Which is how things have operated throughout human history with men and women, before modernity made it poissible for women to be autonomous. The world is different now. The way things are, that is a good move for her. It ties to the comments made about Shane running out to get the walker, pecs displayed and bulging. Andrea gets it, the audience gets it. Shane said that about them handling it to Rick after Rick said Hershel wanted to deal with walkers, they didn't even include Andrea. More of this male dismissal of women. Then, of course, they are proved "right", 'cause she shot Daryl. Just more of driving home the point that the women need the men, their physicality, for protection. The way they writers get these points across is sobering for the audience, women, in particular, I think. To know you would be at the mercy of roving bands of men, is scary, terrifying. I think they want us to get that.

Caribbeanqueen11 likes this.