1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll TWD Rewatch Club: The Suicide King 3x09

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by SevenStars, Sep 18, 2016.

?

What grade would you give episode 3x08 ?

1. A

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. B

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Hey guys,

Another Sunday, another rewatch, another day closer to the new season. FYI for those who don't know, Season 6 is on Netflix now.

Here are the questions:
    1. Why do you think Andrea stayed with the Governor even after he showed her his true self ?
    2. Do you think Michonne killing Penny caused the Governor to no longer try to fake being good?
    3. What did you think of that last scene of Rick's reaction to seeing Lori's ghost?
    4. What did you think of the writing for the women in this episode ?
    5.What did you notice in this retwatch that you didn't notice last time ?

@Sasha's Living Room @lovingdead @Katbird @Flower1petals @Caribbeanqueen11@MrsG @chaundee @Gooey Goobert @Canuckgirl @Jetamors
    @TexasZAgal

[​IMG]

2. Jetamors

Jetamors Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    BTW, I have IRL stuff coming up, so I probably won't be able to respond to the next two threads until next week.
    Is she still with him romantically after this? I don't remember now. Anyway, whether she is or not, she spends a lot of this episode doing damage control and trying to keep Woodbury from self-destructing, which makes sense to me--even with the Governor being a psycho, the people who live there still have it way better than they would on the outside, and they don't even know it. The Governor is a huge problem, but having a safe, fortified town is a huge, huge asset. This is part of why I mentioned in the last thread that I would have liked her building more connections with the Woodbury people--there are lots of better reasons for her to be trying to make Woodbury work than being in lurve with the Governor.
    That was definitely part of it, but I feel like the Daryl/Merle gladiator fight was the true turning point. The Governor revealed some of his bloodthirstiness to the regular people, and they cheered him on. (And then half of them tried to get out the next day, but whatever!) He got them to change their opinions of Merle on a dime, which has got to feel intoxicating to a control freak like him. And with Merle no longer around, he doesn't really have anyone to play Bad Cop to his Good Cop. (Actually it seems like he's shifting to become Bad Cop to Andrea's Good Cop.) Basically, from his crazy perspective, there's no reason to hide anymore, and revealing himself brings benefits of its own.
    I still mostly feel bad for Sasha and Tyreese's group, to be honest. Rewatching, I think that "where's Oscar now?" line is what explains where Rick's head is and why he rejects Tyreese and Sasha's group. He's scared to invite more people in, not because he actually mistrusts them, but because he's afraid of getting attached to them and then losing them. I want to try to pay some attention to when his hallucinations of Lori show up; are they consistently related to his fears of attachment/loss?
    Really, Maggie gets sexually assaulted, and the main fallout is Glenn's manpain about it? :mad:

I really like Andrea stepping up and taking more of a leadership role, though I still have the problem from before of her deferring so much to the Governor.

Sasha and Tyreese are still mostly acting as a unit, IMHO; I like how they alternately step up. We get more Beth and Carol this episode, which is nice, and I liked how both of them were written. We barely get any Michonne this episode, and most of what we do get is her reacting to other people.

Also Karen shows up for the first time in this episode, as one of the angry townspeople.

Female zombie kill count: Maggie (1), Andrea (2)
    Female human kill count: Maggie kills Haley, and I think one other person
    I still really like the parallels between Daryl and Carol as abused people. I don't think we get the kind of abusive sibling relationship between Merle and Daryl represented much in the media. And then I kind of got stabbed in the feels when Daryl said Carol would understand him leaving the group to be with Merle, and then later on she does understand :(

Caribbeanqueen11 likes this.
  3. Sasha's Living Room

Sasha's Living Room Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    somewhere with excessive air conditioning
    I honestly have no idea what the writers were thinking on this one. It's also especially gross that as @Caribbeanqueen11 pointed out, Andrea's known Michonne a lot longer than the G, yet couldn't put together that there was a reason she was trying to kill him... and then in this ep she does stick up for Daryl, who had only just become a reliable guy when she was separated from the farm group. I think LH would say that Andrea believed in the town and wanted to protect the good people there (even though they were willing to cheer for two men to fight to the death for their entertainment... *ahem*), but that doesn't explain why she'd still want to be close to the G???

It makes sense that this would play a role. Interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way before. She was his connection to a sort of fantasy world he was living in where things could be like they "were." Now that fantasy is dead.

I have always hated that scene. 100% agree with Caribbeanqueen11 that it was pointless having Tyreese and Sasha go back and forth between groups. At least it showcased what good people they were. I really didn't want to see Allan and Ben try to kill Carol and Carl. They wouldn't have been trustworthy group members if they were so quick to fall into that kind of thinking.

Again repeating what was said before, everyone's pretty good except Beth and Andrea. I think Karen was shot kind of weird (she deserved more focus for someone who becomes Tyreese's love interest-- her death would have had more impact later if we knew her just a little better).

I thought it was just Hershel and maybe Carl, but it looks like Carol, Beth, probably everybody wanted Tyreese's group to stay. Other than that I can't think off much of the top of my head. It still strikes me that the Gov had the nerve to say Andrea was "just wandering through." What a creep. How she could stay with him after that, I don't have a clue.

Jetamors and Caribbeanqueen11 like this.
  4. Sasha's Living Room

Sasha's Living Room Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    somewhere with excessive air conditioning
    Forgot something I didn't notice before: When Beth gives Judith to Rick and comments that she thinks the baby has Lori's eyes, it's pretty clear Rick started to lose it. He gets that look on his face and the distorted baby crying sounds are going. It seems what they were going for was that it was because he wasn't ready to think about Lori again that he has that hallucination in front of Tyreese and Sasha's group. (Doesn't change how I feel about that scene at all though.) :/

Caribbeanqueen11 likes this.
  5. Caribbeanqueen11

Caribbeanqueen11 Supplier of Mints
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This episode, like many others in S3, left me scratching my head. It was so disjointed feeling and the characters seemed so OOC, even the writing felt all over the place.

Here are the questions:
    1. Why do you think Andrea stayed with the Governor even after he showed her his true self ? Andrea is just ugh! there are no words for how much she irritated me, especially when she finds out that Glen & Maggie were being held there. Did she not find it odd that people had to break them out? When the G starts on about the "kind of people her friends are" and how the people of Woodbury are the victims I want to pull out my hair at her lack of response! I swear every damn time I watch that scene it pisses me off! These are people she lived with for some time, Glen and Daryl she's known since Atlanta, yet she does not even stop to think that they were provoked! Her speech in Woodbury for me was like TOP in Now.. I get that she wants the safety and security of Woodbury but she's being wilfully blind to the reality of Woodbury, for what exactly, a warm bed?? What stranger to me is that even after reading these scripts LH didn't clue in that her character was being destroyed.
    2. Do you think Michonne killing Penny caused the Governor to no longer try to fake being good? Yes. While I think it would have been inevitable that his true self would come out, I believe Penny's death just made him no longer give two shits who saw him for the monster he truly is, which again leaves me baffled that Andrea could be so blind to it.
    3. What did you think of that last scene of Rick's reaction to seeing Lori's ghost? This scene was sooo freakin poitntless. Rick just seemed like an asshole even before he saw Lori's ghost. As many fans and critics said the whole Tyrese leaving the prison and going to Woodbury to do nothing but return to the prison made no freakin sense. They could have easily had Tyrese and Sasha stay and the other two leave for whatever reason.

Glen's behaviour also pissed me off, you'd think he was the one that faced the threat of rape.

4. What did you think of the writing for the women in this episode ? Andrea was placed in a semi-leadership role even though she continued to ignore the obvious signs that her boyfriend was psycho. I hate that they played the no talk warrior trope with Michonne and whenever I watch this episode, her fierce glaring, no answering a straight question attitude irritated TF outta me I can't lie.
    5.What did you notice in this retwatch that you didn't notice last time?
    The way they wrote Carols reaction to Daryl leads me to believe that GM was setting them up to be a couple.

Jetamors and Sasha's Living Room like this.