1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Unpopular TWD Opinions #2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctor Grimes, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

I think the show spent a lot of time precanon building up their relationship so to me, I already know what they are to each other and how they work. The romance is just a new layer but their core relationship is still there and was developed over many seasons.

Their romantic relationship isn't going to show progression like two people that met and fell in love right away because they already did the leg work and built the foundation that other couples spend months to years doing before they ever kissed.

I personally (maybe an unpopular opinion) just want to see them loving each other, facing challenges together, dealing with ups and downs as they come etc which to me is what they showed us since canon.

2. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:

Well said Riko813!! I am in agreement with the majority of your post. I would say that I didn't like 7A in terms of the Negan focus. 7A was brutal and emotionally draining (pure torture as a Rick stan actually) but there was emotional growth for Rick and TF. With the focus so much on Negan and his all out fu*kery, it was difficult to dicern this for Rick and TF because of so little screen time focused on them. This season demonstrated just how much of fighters they really are and how Rick had to come to terms with this as well as the death of two close family members. A few of TF members went rogue, made complete boneheaded decisions that got others killed and kidnapped, but it does show that TF don't lie down easily and that they must be cohesive with Rick as their leader to function as a whole unit. Separately, they are lost, which was evidenced by their decisions, and acting out, but together, they can accomplish so much, including kicking Negans ass. That is the strenghth and power with TF, their love and loyalty for eachother, which will be their ace against Negan, something he has NO concept of.

I am in agreement with you re Lori. I am on season rewatch and just ended S2, with Beside the Dying Fire, and Loris reaction to Ricks Shane reveal. Boy oh boy, Lori was just a piece of work with how she reacted and rejected Rick during one of his lowest moments ever up to this point. Killing his best friend Shane. You are correct, in many ways Rick was emotionally battered by Lori and expected the same result with Michonne. I have felt this since Loris introduction (hence my seething loathing of her). When Rick has to make difficult decisions, he thinks Michonne would belittle him or not support him, and he is always suprised when she does the opposite of Lori. I think he prepares himself for the emotional onslaught and then when he doesn't receive it from Michonne, he is genuinely taken aback by her acceptance of him and her unwavering love and support. It's as if he feels he doesn't deserve her love and support. But Michonne isn't Lori and her cell speech, I believe , finally allowed Rick to see Michonne's vulnerability and for Rick to really recognize how much Michonne loves him and has been his ride or die all along. The look of absolute love and adoration, admiration respect, and all kinds of other feels from Rick as Michonne was pouring her heart out was written all over his face and in his eyes.
    7A really showed the depths that Rick will go for Michonne and TF, how even at his lowest emotional point, he still had fight in him, he fell all that more in love with Michonne and her ride or die status, and is ready to go to war because he knows he cannot do it alone. Michonne realizes that she no longer wants to do things her way, or alone and how much she needs and loves Rick and TF. She wants to help shoulder the burden of leadership with Rick to ease his stress and fight alongside him. Michonne also demonstrated that even though she is with Rick, in love with him, she still has her independence and fire, will still speak up and challenge him, yet is still by his side 100%. How she never gives up fighting, now more than ever, and she never became weak just because she is in love (like some folks predicted..whatevs..:sadmaggie: ) and this makes her even more lethal. Rick and Michonne have both gone through a journey of self discovery and will continue to do so along with TF. 7B is hopefully going to demonstrate to what degree they will change and evolve to deal with Negan and bringing him and the Saviors down.

I think the issues for many is that 7A was so heavily Negan focused thaf Rick and TF were treated like step children when the focus should have been on them after the LV Glenn/Abe aftermath. With the non focus on Rick and TF , TPTB did a disservice to the characters and the emotional impact of Glenn and Abe deaths that they could have had by showing their reactions afterwards. This was a HUGE mistep and mistake by Gimple and Kirkman that I truly hope is rectified in 7B. Focus on Rick and TF emotional journeys has been the key to the success of this show, not on the over hyped, over focused, big bad newbie.

#702 ALDGRichonneLover, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  3. Michroolz

Michroolz Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    [​IMG]

sparking?

4. Eliziane

Eliziane Walker Bait

Walker Pets:
    I said wrong and grab, pull Rick's hair

box5angel likes this.
  5. Michroolz

Michroolz Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    No worries, I just thought I better check.

6. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This is an unpopular opinion for the unpopular opinions thread but I would be just fine not seeing any additional children in the show. I don't want to watch a show about ZA children. Sam got on my damn nerves and I hated the way he would pop up all the time. I didn't care one bit about Ron's angst. I'm okay with little scenes with children popping up every now and then like the Ocean side girl but I'm not interested in watching the angst of ZA children. I like it when Judith makes her random cameos thats plenty for me. Keep them kids in the background or as props.

7. DarkandStormy

DarkandStormy Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    Ok, here's my honesty in the Unpopular Opinions thread: I'm not the least bit interested in seeing a Carl/Enid romance. :puke: Frankly, I'd rather see Carl with a slightly older Cyndie ~ imo she's prettier,and at least she could teach him a thang or two.....about survival. :sneaky:

4Lemonade and Lyra_Nation like this.
  8. candi18z

candi18z Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    Here is an opinion that may, or may not, be unpopular. I don't want anymore new communities or characters, because the cast is getting too large and the main characters are getting sidelined for these newbies. Gimple and co need to write for the characters that they have. I don't want to see yet another bottle episode for a minor character that is really about introducing yet another new community.

9. Ms.J.Richonne

Ms.J.Richonne Plotting to kill Negan
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I couldn't agree more. We don't need anymore new people that I could care less about.

10. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I can agree with this.

That's why I love Z Nation. It's kept its core characters. A couple or so have died a long the way, and there's been tons of newbies introduced in their travels and different communities. But they either lasted one episode or several. Either that was it, and we never saw them again or they popped up later in the season or another season. I never get the sense of too many people or communities on this show, and there's been a lot introduced. I think because the core group isn't settled like TF, and there's all of these communities around them. They're on a mission, and they encounter different ones like TF did in earlier seasons. So, it's basically hi, bye, we're moving on.

DarkandStormy likes this.
  11. candi18z

candi18z Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    I just started watching Z Nation and I like the show. It reminds me of the earlier seasons of TWD when it was TF against the world.

DarkandStormy and box5angel like this.
  12. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Exactly.

There's a Z Nation thread in the Other Television Shows section if you ever want to discuss the show more.

13. 4Lemonade

4Lemonade Searching for Sophia

Walker Pets:
    Yes to this all of the way! I don't hate Enid but I don't like her either; she's just there. I'd rather see Carl with Cyndie. They would be cute together.

14. Ms.J.Richonne

Patron

Walker Pets:
    My unpopular opinion is I am absolutely over both Carol and Morgan. I want them to exit the stage. They don't have to die but I no longer want to see or hear them. I am tired of their I don't want to kill and All life is precious mantras. It's the zombie apocalypse dammit, get with the program or be gone. And for goodness sake leave Carol alone...stop looking for her.

QueenOfAlexandria likes this.
  15. QueenOfAlexandria

QueenOfAlexandria Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    I agree, but I can stomach Morgan more than I can stomach Carol at this point. Mainly because we don't have to constantly hear about people asking about Morgan in the fandom. With Carol, we don't have that luxury. People are constantly bringing her up so you never really have the chance to miss her. Carol wants to be left alone, but I get the feeling that a lot of people have missed that memo. We know where she is, but you can't tell by being in this fandom. Especially since people are still getting angry about the fact that none of Team Family have gone back out to look for her. I think that bothers me more than anything else. I understand the 'all life is precious' thing is supposed to be noble, but it's the wrong time. Hopefully, Morgan does get with the program but I never know with these writers. With a psychotic madman and other unsavory scoundrels running amok in Virginia, it's just the wrong time to live by that philosophy. I've been saying for awhile now that it's not the right time to explore a PTSD arc where Carol's concerned anyway, yet here we are. Her PTSD is tied to that whole philosophy but it's not feasible right now.

16. Ms.J.Richonne

Patron

Walker Pets:
    I am doing a rewatch and since Morgan's return all he has been doing is judging the hell outta Rick's actions. It annoyed me during the live watch and it's still bugging the isht outta me during the rewatch. He can kick rocks with his all life is precious philosophy because like you said now is not the time. And Carol is the being extremely selfish right now. She hasnt had to go through what TF has. She missed Terminus and Negan, she has been fortunate in that regard. She also has two men at her beck and call and she is rude and nasty to them. I am just over these two. And they better not have Carol save the day, she is NOT the best fighter and I wish they would stop acting like she is. They act like TF couldnt go on without her saving them. FoH.

17. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I truly understand what you are saying, but as far as Morgan goes, (Carol, I can't even deal with right now so I won't mention her) he has gone through some massive change since we saw him in all of his emotional breakdown and crazy during "Clear." We saw how in "Heres Not Here" that he was taken under the wing by a non-violent man and Morgan adapted his philosophy that helped him with his own PTSD, angst and guilt regarding Jenny/Duane. This essentially brought Morgan back to sanity so I can't hate on him for holding so tightly onto this which helped to "bring him back" so to speak. And Morgan was the only one who disagreed with Rick about the Saviors attack and well, he was kind of right about it. I can see how folks get annoyed with his philosophy of non-violence, but I am actually glad there is someone that has a differing view and opinion about killing than Rick and TF. Not everyone is going to be all gung ho about killing. Look at Tyreese. :denise:.
    Morgan is definitely one of my faves, and I can see how his "All life if precious" mantra would grate on people when we have the likes of Negan and the Saviors around. Oh, trust, I want them all gone, but Morgan isn't privy to all of what has occured just yet. I have a feeling that once he finds out what nefarious things Negan has been up to with TF, especially the way Glenn and Abe were killed, he just might be changing his stance on this a bit. I know, we had the Wolf situation and he wanted to spare the ONE Wolf. But, he hasn't dealt with Negan yet, so we shall see. As we saw with the Kingdom people, when the Saviors arrived and started ish with them, Morgan reacted with the gun. It was almost reflex and he almost appeared to have talked himself down from the violence, but it was still there with him, most definitely. I think this is Morgan's story and how he will have to reconcile his killing tendencies versus the non-violent way. But I can agree, he does judge Rick and I am like :rickwtf: when Morgan hasn't been through the absolute madness and encountered all of the horrible people like Rick and TF have and got out barely with their lives. So I get it. Trust.

cadence_T and DarkandStormy like this.
  18. Ms.J.Richonne

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Tyreese was kinda a waste of a character. His not wanting to kill had consequences. ..the cannibals came back and attacked because he refused to kill that jack off and then lied about it. I am happy that Morgan found peace but he needs to keep his peaceful a*s away from TF. He can't possibly think he can keep his hands clean in this world they live in now. Look what happened when he let those wolves go. They damn near killed Rick. Yeah that 1 wolf saved Denise but he was in the minority. I am just done with him and Carol. Should he come around and truly handle business with and for TG maybe I will reconsider my stance on him.

#718 Ms.J.Richonne, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:58 PM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017 at 12:43 AM
  19. QueenOfAlexandria

QueenOfAlexandria Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    Morgan does have that holier-than-thou thing going; I will definitely say that, because he is definitely judgmental at times. I understand that Morgan doesn't live his life that way anymore, but he still should be able to grasp what he's dealing with. He's still an intelligent enough man to know what the reality of their current situation is. He still should be able to understand that there are things you have to do to survive. The undead aren't the issue here; the issue lies with the living. The living who want what you have and will kill you to take it. And in Negan's case, you have to deal with people who truly enjoy psychologically torturing and killing people. Negan truly enjoys every aspect of that; he gets a kick out of it. So while I understand that Morgan may not know certain things, it can be irritating since we, the audience, know about the kinds of people Team Family have been up against. We've seen it, so we see it differently.

And the wounded puppy thing that I'm seeing from Ezekiel & Morgan in regards to Carol is old. I'm sick of seeing these men fight tooth and nail to please her only for her to treat them like crap. I can't do it. I won't do it. The last straw was when Carol called Morgan into her safe house before kicking him back out. I never understood that, because Morgan was truly attempting to leave her alone. He dropped the food off and he left without bothering her. Yet, she calls him back only to condescend to him like that? So yeah, I do have an issue with that whole thing. Let's not get into the other factors that make this whole thing gross, but I'm sure you catch my drift.

20. Ms.J.Richonne

Patron

Walker Pets:
    I most definitely do. Morgan shouldn't have even brought her food. She is just sitting in her Lil house unbothered but protected by the Kingdom while those she claims to love are suffering. Eff her for real!!!

#720 Ms.J.Richonne, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:04 AM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017 at 6:59 PM