1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article Walking Dead's Sonequa Martin-Green Cast as Star Trek: Discovery Lead

Discussion in 'Sasha / Sonequa Martin-Green' started by SweetDee85, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
  2. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    That tweet from Nichelle Nichols, so classy and supportive. I love her. I am from the generation that has mad love for the original Star Trek. I can't tell you what Nichelle Nichols meant to the Black America, to Black women. Sonequa Martin-Green will continue the legacy of Lt. Uhura. (sp?) SMG is in good company...on so many levels. I am gnashing my teeth that she is leaving TWD, but thrilled for her, otherwise.
    P.S. Coincidentally, when I was watching the final scene of the MSF, and TF strode through yet another fence/wall/gate and continued toward the "big house", I got all kinds of Star Trekky feelings, the command team taking the bridge, boldly going to new territory, the final frontier; I even took note/liked the way they we positioned, the color of their clothes. It was so symbolic. I know this is not the thread for this, but SMG was wearing black, the other blue or neutrals. (Enid had on a red plaid shirt (yikes), and, Maggie a bright, white shirt.). I guess her, SMG's, black tee is a sign of her fate. It makes me sad to think of it.

Marcie69 and Barbarossa-TWD like this.
  3. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This makes me happy. :hearts:

4. hewontgo

hewontgo Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:

it's pure speculation from the journalist that the show wont air in May, nothing has been confirmed by the streaming service

5. Katbird

Walker Pets:
    Okay, I don't know what that means, lol. What does it mean for Sonequa and Sonequa/Sasha and TWD? Can I hope she may be back for at least 8a?
    Can I? Huh? Can I? Oh my gee! I would be so happy!

6. hewontgo

Walker Pets:
    Stark Trek filming : January - September (this is a lot for only 13 episodes)
    filming dates from January 24, 2017 through September 7, 2017.

TWD filming : May - November

No way she will be able to film 8a for TWD

#46 hewontgo, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Katbird likes this.
  7. hewontgo

Walker Pets:
    source

the series is no longer going to premiere in May as previously announced.

This switch has a few reasons behind it, a key one is that recently cast star Sonequa Martin-Green is on AMC’s mega-hit The Walking Dead, which is airing its current season through April. There’s a concern about marketplace confusion if CBS were to ramp up promoting her as the star of a new sci-fi show while her horror hit is currently on the air.

8. hewontgo

Walker Pets:
    Unfortunately, we'll be doing even more waiting for this prequel series, which has just been delayed for the umpteenth time by the studio, and it looks like The Walking Dead is partly to blame, since both series share a star in Sonequa Martin-Green.

And while there are other aspects involved, a big part of the reasoning is Sonequa Martin-Green, who was hired for the high-profile and mystery-cloaked lead role, will soon be seen back on The Walking Dead when Season 7 returns in February. Some execs were worried that it would cause confusion among consumers if a new Martin-Green series went into a heavy promotional campaign when she could still be seen on another show.

That might sound dumb, but they're not making blind assumptions about these things. Perhaps if Martin-Green had joined a straightforward legal drama on USA where she wears a blue wig, there would be less to worry about, but both Walking Dead and Discovery being genre shows doesn't help, despite the fact that no spaceships are zooming around the zombie apocalypse.

So not only is Sonequa Martin-Green's double-series distinction a bad thing for Star Trek: Discovery, but it has also been a bit of a calling card to Walking Dead fans that her character Sasha probably won't make it to Season 8. (The zombie series' contracts reportedly bar its actors from simultaneously starring in additional series.) So if Star Trek: Discovery is just about to kick off production for its delayed season, and it'll go on for months, so there won't be any time for her to get back into her Sasha gear for more Negan-hating.

source

9. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Thank you for posting. I'm sure TWD execs were not happy when the news came out about SMG's new show and people started speculating Sasha will die.

I assume the delay has little to do with "consumer confusion". Heavy promotion of Discovery would just be a constant reminder to TWD viewers that Sasha may be a goner in an upcoming episode (since TWD viewers are most likely to also be Discovery viewers, as the article states), possibly "ruining"* another TWD season finale. The AMC legal team probably got on that right away and CBS decided they didn't need any kind of legal fight tainting their new show. I hope this isn't causing stress for SMG, though.

*I put "ruining" in quotes because I believe TPTB would use a different word, possibly "hurt", since I think they would privately concede that, despite excellent ratings, the s6 finale cliffhanger hurt the show, overall (fan outrage, bad reviews, loss of viewers). Personally, I think the cliffhanger ruined the s6 finale and s7 premiere, storytelling-wise.

10. Michroolz

Michroolz Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    MTE. Although the flipside of that speculation is that CBS may not have wanted to provide, in effect, free promotion for cheapskate AMC's TWD season finale and adjusted their schedule accordingly.

#50 Michroolz, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  11. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I hadn't thought of that. Also possible and it wouldn't surprise me.

Michroolz likes this.
  12. hewontgo

Walker Pets:
    Sonequa Martin-Green on what her Star Trek role means for Sasha

Sonequa
    “Well, I can’t say anything,” laughs Martin Green. “I can say that the story is as impactful and powerful and dynamic as it always has been, and there’s nothing to worry about where that’s concerned.”

Gimple
    “Sonequa Martin-Green can do anything,” says Gimple. “I’ve seen her battle a horde of walkers this year while simultaneously battling a stomach flu that would have had most people crying in the dirt. She can fulfill the duties of a Lieutenant Commander on a Constitution-class starship whilst battling walkers, Saviors, and whatever gets in Sasha’s way. We’ve had to juggle before. I will certainly juggle for Star Trek any day of the week. Okay, maybe not on Sunday.”

13. Katbird

Walker Pets:
    Well, he (Gimple) is right about one thing: "Sonequa Martin-Green can do anything." She is so very talented.

cadence_T and Delightfully Thomi like this.