1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

We get it...Daryl is stronger (therefore better) than Rick

Discussion in '7x03: The Cell' started by tuswig, Nov 7, 2016.

1. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I did not watch 7.03, however, because I am still very much connected to TWD fandom, I gathered that part of the episode was centered on Negan's efforts to break Daryl....and it looks like he was unsuccessful.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I know that, at times, I can be sensitive about the character of Rick, but it does appear that the show is building this narrative of "Rick is weak, Daryl is strong....Negan can break Rick, but he cannot break Daryl."

[​IMG][​IMG]

I am so over this show constantly shitting on Rick's character while elevating Daryl. After 7.01 aired, there was some debate about this, but I really do believe that Negan meant what he said when he referred to Rick as a pussy while admiring Daryl for having the courage to step out of line to punch him.

Let the Daryl/Negan love affair begin!

[​IMG]

smittynoah, QueenTee, rlsatk and 6 others like this.
  2. Harshmallow

Harshmallow Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This is exactly what I got as well. Didn't watch that crapfest either and I never will. But that is essentially what they're trying to tell the audience. Rick is a little bitch. Daryl has guts. :dale:

All I see, of course, if the asshole that got Glenn killed won't swallow his pride.
    Glenn won't ever know his son. Maggie won't ever get over her pain, but who cares about that? Daryl's pride and ego is more important. Negan could perfectly send an army to Alexandria to kill the rest of his "family." But he won't kneel. He doesn't give a fuck about anyone but himself.

#2 Harshmallow, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  3. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    THANK YOU! I didn't know if it was my bitterness saying this or what, so I kept this opinion to myself! I'm SO relieved that others think this way too.

4. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Everything is going to turn around by the end of the season for Rick, I mean that's how the story goes so I'm not worried about it. They broke Rick down and he will build himself back up. Daryl is a side story and I do think there is a difference between Negan trying to make Daryl a Savior and what he was doing with Rick. Daryl isn't a leader, he hasn't built a community and doesn't have people following him. There's no way Negan puts the two of them on the same level in his mind be suse Negan knows what it takes to build something like that.

I do think that underlying element of Rick vs Daryl exists for some fans though.

5. Niolle

Niolle Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    Negan didn't even try to break Daryl. Dwight tried to break him, and Negan appeared in only 3 scenes and it seemed he wasn't even that interested in Daryl. He was talking to Dwight mostly.

smittynoah, QueenTee, Michele and 9 others like this.
  6. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think Negan is infinitely more interested in Rick than Daryl to be honest.

I also think we weren't supposed to think Rick is weaker than Daryl. Rick had a lot more to lose than Daryl does.

7. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I'm trying to feel positive about this show again. I really am but I'm just tired at this point. Their desperate attempts at making Daryl look tough are just so unnecessary. I don't care if Negan breaks Daryl. I don't care if Daryl defies Negan. Nothing surrounding the character o Daryl is relevant anymore. It's all about how cool they can make Norman Reedus look.

No matter what they do, Rick will always be superior. Unlike Daryl Rick knows how to bend. Daryl is responsible for no one but himself and it seems like he's very aware of that seeing as he doesn't care what harm he causes his friends anymore. Rick, on the other hand, has a family and there's no place for ego when it comes the well being of your children.

8. Harshmallow

Patron

Walker Pets:
    But then I don't understand what the purpose of this Daryl/Negan arc is. :denise:

9. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Neither do I to be honest. I assume they just wanted to shoehorn Daryl into the Sanctuary. Because Daryl has to be involved everywhere.

10. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Personally, I don't see Rick as weak and definitely agree that he has alot more to lose than Daryl HOWEVER there are alot of people who see Daryl as the stronger, more courageous character and the show doesn't do much to dispel that.

11. Danaisbestie

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Daryl doesn't really have arcs, he's just a plot device. His purpose last night was for Dwight and Sherry's arc and for us to see not all the Saviors are happy with their way of life.

12. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, I really don't think that is the narrative they are trying to tell. These are scenes in completely different contexts. They are both with Negan, yes but Rick was being threatened with Carl being harmed for his actions. Tell me is it was Daryl and Carol, Daryl wouldn't have had a similar break. I'm just not seeing this subtext of the writers wanting to make Rick look weak and Daryl not.

13. Harshmallow

Patron

Walker Pets:
    I had this terrible idea for episode 7.04 that I hope I'm wrong about, but what if Negan uses Rick as an example to show Daryl how to kneel and makes him kneel in front of everyone? I wouldn't be surprised I if happened, to be honest. Wouldn't be the first time Rick is used to elevate another character. :carol:

14. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    Plus, Daryl breaks down over the guilt about Glenn. I mean it didn't make him turn traitor and that is Negan's goal. With Rick there was a different goal. and ultimately I believe even Negan's interest in Daryl is to get to Rick. Like, haha, and I stole Daryl from you and made him mine.

#14 lovingdead, Nov 7, 2016
  15. Harshmallow

Patron

Walker Pets:
    The GA doesn't see him as a plot device though...

16. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    And those people will most likely never change their minds because they like rooting for the 'cool dude.'

Here are some talking points to share with the Daryl fans:

Rick told Negan he was going to kill him AFTER he just witnessed his two friends get beaten to death.
    That pissed Negan off to no end so he took Rick on his magical mystery tour to f*ck with his head.
    After f*cking with his head, he then forced Rick to CHOP HIS SON'S ARM OFF.
    And THAT is when Rick broke.

Daryl? Strong, courageous Daryl? Well, here's the deal. Daryl doesn't give a shit about living at this point because he is living with the guilt of causing Glenn's death. He didn't 'break' because Negan didn't threaten a loved one two feet away from him. He's threatening Daryl and Daryl alone. As we know, Daryl has no sense of self-preservation.

These fans are trying my patience. But, yes, the end of this season will allay all doubt from everyone except the stans. And they can just sit on their side of the cornfield from me, thank you very much.

17. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    I'm not in agreement. But do have to note they also consistently show Daryl to be immature and hotheaded.

18. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    This is the thing what ignorant GA members who blindly worship Daryl perceive and what the writers are showing are two different things. I just don't think there is some agenda to make Daryl look stronger than Rick. Daryl has some great qualities and strength is one of them but I really don't think they are trying to showcase that at Rick's expense.

ETA: I honestly think all this Rick/Daryl rivalry is all fan driven. There is no reason for the writers to want to make Rick, the hero, weak. They can both be strong. Who wants anyone in TF weak? Even Gabe and Eugene have risen. I feel this is all driven by people being sensitive about their faves and not wanting the other one to "best" their guy.

#18 lovingdead, Nov 7, 2016
  19. Danaisbestie

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

That makes him easier to use in that way. He just needs to do a few cool things here and there and that's enough for the fans.

So he may get the accolades for this cool shot or his motorcycle but when anyone talks about who the leader is, it's always Rick and that goes for the GA and the super fans. The leader may not be the most popular one because he has to make the tough choices and always takes the hardest hits in the story but that doesn't make him weaker or less important.

20. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    I think you guys who didn't watch the episode should. If nothing else it can make you feel better that it shows NR could never be the lead actor of this show. NR is effective as Daryl but he's not that compelling as far as range. We should thank the writers and directors for giving Rick some good emotional scenes that showcase his full range. Some people see weak, but the wise see a brilliant performance and a nuanced, good man.