1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

We get it...Daryl is stronger (therefore better) than Rick

Discussion in '7x03: The Cell' started by tuswig, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Daryl is a stubborn hothead. How does that make him stronger than Rick? Only a keyboard warrior and little beta beyotch would think otherwise. I have seen so many of these idiots fawning over Trump because of his so-called alpha male essence and calling others who do not fawn (especially other libertarians who see through Trump fascist bullshit) cucks (as in cuckhold) and those are the same people who are calling Rick a bitch while fawning over that Daryl, even though the latter caused the death of another. If this is how they interpreted episode 3, I will not put that much stock into it

2. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    How were they supposed to know Daryl was abused? I am sure they thought this was enough, since it worked on others

Denie39 and coffeebean like this.
  3. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Thank you. The Saviors know nothing about Daryl's background, so they probably used what has worked before.

Denie39 and coffeebean like this.
  4. Riko813

Riko813 Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I don't know, I got the opposite feeling. Imo I think they were showing that Rick is by far the stronger and more important one. If you compare the episodes and the scenes of torture. Negan personally focuses on Rick. Negan personally tortures Rick, he doesn't leave his lackey (Dwight) to handle it. Negan uses everything in his arsenal against Rick because Rick is so powerful and more of a threat. Negan is torture light with Daryl because he doesn't see him as a threat. That to me speaks volumes. What speaks volumes is that Negan didn't regard Daryl as Rick's right hand man. Negan had to ask Rick if any of the remaining ones were his right hand man or was his right hand man one of the lv. If he truly believed Daryl was of any significance he would have assumed right off the bat that Daryl was Rick's right hand man. In addition, you go full force to break a right hand man because he is very important to the leader and can take over if the leader is killed. I don't believe he thought Daryl was important enough. You go full force against someone who you think is a worthy opponent. You try to totally break the King because he is the most important person. And the only way he could break Rick was not only to kill two of TF but to threaten the one thing in the world he cares most about, Carl (the prince). Negan put in tepid effort to try to break Daryl.

I dont know, I see it as they are trying to convey that Rick is the leader and has the weight of his world upon his shoulders. He has the weight of the lives of every member of TF on his shoulders. He has the weight of his children and Michonne on his shoulders. He has the weight of ASZ on his shoulders. It takes a very strong manly man to carry that much weight upon his shoulders. Daryl has the weight on no one on his shoulders. He is so free from the burden that Rick has, Daryl can act out and act tough. I think people see that Rick is the stronger more powerful one.

5. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Right? Daryl was a non-issue (which is probably why I liked this episode) and yes, he would be a shit leader. Someone who shoots at the hip, making decisions that can cost lives, how does that make him a good leader???? The fact that Negan had to take Rick onto a hellish ride and force him to almost chop off his son's hand tells me that Negan sees someone dangerous and to be admired. He probably knew he was dealing with a different brand of people in the TF and that breaking their leader would result in their submission

6. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    YESSS. I forgot that part too. He delegated Dwight to torture Daryl, he did not partake personally in it. That was a nice callback to the jab in the SP

Harshmallow likes this.
  7. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    The arc is not about Negan and Daryl, but Daryl and Dwight. As Lovingdead, I think it would have been best to actually watch the episode because you would have seen that Negan barely cared about Daryl, he was testing Dwight

8. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    THIS, THIS, THIS. I feel the same way as how the GA perceives some of the female characters as well. They are completely missing the point

Katbird, Tisha Grimes and lovingdead like this.
  9. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Most of these keyboard warriors would be pissing in their pants if they were in Rick's shoes. I cannot take them seriously

Katbird and lovingdead like this.
  10. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    He was talking about Dwight. The comparison is not between Rick and Daryl, but between Dwight and Daryl. In fact, episode 3 reinforced it, especially when Daryl told Dwight why he understood why he did what he did in the burnt forest. Dwight had a family to think about, his wife Sherry couldn't probably live in the wild and when they went back, Dwight was willing to die for her. What does Daryl have to live for? He doesn't have all these responsibilities on his shoulder and thus has no problem not kneeling to Negan, unlike Dwight. Again, Daryl's arc has everything to do with Dwight and how the latter will flip. If the GA can't see that, it says more about them, then the writers

11. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I think the problem here is the sequencing of the episodes. There was a brutal premiere that focused rightly so on Rick... then we were thrown into the Kingdom, still understandable since the finale also showcased Morgan and Carol... BUT... then it went to the Sanctuary to showcase how Daryl was handling the premiere????

First of all neither the Kingdom nor the Sanctuary deserved bottle episodes each could have been perfectly executed in about 20 minutes because... No we did not need to see Carol steal a knife, nor chocolates, nor clothes etc, and NO we did not have to see Dwight feed Daryl 15 dogwood sandwiches ....

I think it was holding the GA hostage thru these bottles to no get to see the leads ... Rick, Michonne, Carl and Maggie.

So I guess for pulling our chains they are going to give up a 90 minute episode...

But especially this last episode put a really bad taste in my mouth because it was so obvious that they were giving in to NR demands... and it was even more obvious that he can't live up to his own hype.

In SDCC, AL said that this season was all about Negan... now I am getting to be worried...

treecie, gabbyrock and Doctor Grimes like this.
  12. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I didn't get that from the episode. It may help if you watch it. I think this episode was about the cost of living and is it worth it? We got that theme in every single storyline. Dwights, Sherri's, the guy who ran way and Daryls.

I don't even think the writers intent was to show Rick's reaction vs Daryl's, we are already saw that in the first episode of the season. This episode is basically Daryls recognition of his failure as a team member. He doesn't care about living anymore because of his guilt about Glenn. I think his decision to not join Negan is because he doesn't want to be rewarded for getting Glenn killed.

Dwight's journey throughout the episode was to see that he made the wrong decision. He is miserable and all the people around Dwight are showing him that he had other, better options because even death would be better than living like Dwight is. Lol I think Daryl in that box is having a better time than Dwight right now.

13. Harshmallow

Harshmallow Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    You're right. I'll consider it...maybe. In what minute does Daryl stops being naked?:lol:

Although I said Daryl/Negan arc because I got from some posts that Negan likes Daryl because he didn't kneel? Or for some other reason.

14. ShadowSixx

ShadowSixx Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I surely believe that Rick has always been stronger than Daryl. Rick makes the decisions to protect his family and I mean everybody not just Carl & Judith. Rick's decisions are for the group while Daryl's decisions are selfish so he can continue his lone wolf, self loathing shit. Like Daryl being upset that Rick, Maggie, Glenn weren't welcoming Merle back with open arms and they rather have Michonne at the prison over Merle. Leaving Abe & Sasha to deal with the herd of walkers and Sasha had to ream him out when he returned. Then there's the Denise & Glenn thing. Only selfless thing I seen him do was sacrifice himself so that the Maruaders wouldn't hurt Rick, Michonne, & Carl.

Writers may think Daryl is a bad ass but he isn't that goes to Carl. I will always see Rick being stronger than Daryl.

sharky and Harshmallow like this.
  15. Harshmallow

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    He was talking about Rick. Why would he feel the need to bring up Dwight in that moment?

16. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I blocked it out or went temporary blind when that scene came:eugene2:
    As for the second sentence, I really don't know where people get that considering Dwight was introduced by meeting Daryl, so it was obvious their arc would be intertwine and that Dwight was in charge of his torture. If some of the fans saw something else, well they aren't paying attention at all

Katbird, Denie39 and Harshmallow like this.
  17. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Go back and watch it. Even if he seemed to be talking to Rick, it was hinting at Dwight, since the latter was so eager to kill Daryl on the spot

Katbird likes this.
  18. Harshmallow

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Although it can be left up for interpretation, I still think he meant Rick. He'd just been openly crying and begging and Negan said that to further humiliate him. I'm not saying he meant it, but the implication was there. Daryl is strong and Rick isn't. And we're talking about TWD. They do do this kind of shit. They don't hesitate to throw Rick under the bus, but they try "super hard" not to have anyone blame Daryl for Glenn's death.

I'mStillWithYou likes this.
  19. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I am not sure what critic said this but he said that this past episode could have been done within 5 minutes not 40+ minutes. I laughed about that because I thought that was true. We all knew before how Negan rules, so what was the point of the episode. For me it is one of those bottle episodes that I only need to see once.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  20. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

I don't think they tried super hard because in the episode they had someone say to Daryl "you got your friend killed" and then gave him a picture of Glenn's dead body to cry over.
    Now specific actors may have tried to downplay that but I think they know how sensitive Norman is. I could tell when I was at the panel at WSC when an audience member brought up Daryl getting Glenn killed Norman was visibly uncomfortable. He is used to unconditional love for his character and this is the first time he's had to deal with real hate from the audience. After that Andy said no more Glenn questions and I think it's because of Norman. I don't see the show itself doing that in the writing though. Daryl is supposed to feel guilty.

Niolle likes this.