1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

We get it...Daryl is stronger (therefore better) than Rick

Discussion in '7x03: The Cell' started by tuswig, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Niolle

Niolle Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    He should ask advice from Chandler who's been dealing with fan hate since he was 11.
    Seriously, Norman is too sensitive with all of this.

2. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    But the thing is we didn't even get to learn about the Sanctuary!!!

Okay they have points but how exactly do you earn them? and how many? How much do things "cost"? If it takes 2 days of hard labor to earn a half loaf of bread then that would give the GA a better understanding of what is happening.

After all this ... I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT THE DIFFERENT LETTERS ON THE "PRISONERS" MEAN...

How many people live there? A guesstimate about the number of outpost to get a feel of the vastness of Negan's "Empire".
    Where the hell was Simon????

So the most basic exposition was not given about the Sanctuary but we saw Dwight give Daryl umpteen dogfood sandwiches!!!

3. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

This was just an intro to the Sanctuary, it wasn't supposed to tell you all of that because there are a couple of episodes later on that explore the Sanctuary in greater detail.

Katbird, Denie39 and coffeebean like this.
  4. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    So... there was NOT a need for this bottle?

SevenStars and Harshmallow like this.
  5. Danaisbestie

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Depends on how you look at it...Dwight has some relevance to future plot lines and this episode was really about him. It wasn't about Daryl so much imo.

Katbird, ReeciePiecey and Denie39 like this.
  6. Butler36

Butler36 What?
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I agree with this. I will also agree with the fact that Negan only leaves Rick to him. He doesn't trust Rick with anyone else and he put on a very elaborate show to break Rick's power and authority. Even with the pick-up that is coming he, personally, decides to make it with the full force of his men behind him when it seems it is usually Simon that does those. While Negan thinks Daryl is Dwight's personal project (note how upset he is when Dwight wants to go after a runner than take his reward for working on Daryl) Negan definitely believes Rick is his personal project.

Rick, in his mind, belongs to him. Which is both creepy and scary.

SevenStars likes this.
  7. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I get that, but that could have been relayed in 10 minutes tops, this episode wasn't necessary and really not worth pulling the attention away from Rick.

SevenStars and Harshmallow like this.
  8. Danaisbestie

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

And not just Rick, but everything Rick has as well. What Rick has is every leader's dream...love and loyalty from his people and he doesn't have to really do much to get it. Negan sort of has the loyalty but it's all based on how much people fear him. If that goes away, he loses everything. That makes Rick the ultimate threat because he is proof that there is an alternative to Negan's way.

I'm sure most of those in the Sanctuary have convinced themselves that this is the only way for then to survive same with the other communities that they have to give up their stuff so they can be safe. Rick is going to show them there is another way, I can't wait:mwhaha:

SevenStars and Katbird like this.
  9. Danaisbestie

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

I don't like any attention away from Rick so I agree. Not sure the audience would buy Dwight switching sides later on with only ten minutes of his story though? It would be nice if all of these stories were weaved together so that over these three episodes we saw the Kingdom Asz and the Sanctuary but this is year four of Gimple. He just doesn't tell stories that way unfortunately.

ReeciePiecey likes this.
  10. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I really do not see the interpretation of Daryl is strong comes from, but we will have to agree to disagree. If you use the GA to form that opinion then I don't even know where to begin. It is clear that Daryl is arc is not linked to Negan but Dwight, and it has been that way since they met in the burnt forest

Katbird and Denie39 like this.
  11. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I am pretty sure this theme will be revisited

12. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I think this is reserved for Carl's arc. Again, Daryl's arc is linked to Dwight (and Sherry to some extent), not Negan. The episode drove that point home, which is why you did not get to see Negan's penthouse, his wives, and the people working for points. And also why Negan deferred to Dwight to torture Daryl, even offering Dwight sex for a good job

Katbird, Denie39 and Butler36 like this.
  13. Butler36

Butler36 What?
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah I think that is being saved for
    Carl's storyline because Negan wants to impress him because Negan likes Carl. It's basically Negan saying "Look at how cool I am. Ain't I awesome. And Carl being like "WTF?"

Katbird, Canuckgirl and Denie39 like this.
  14. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    So no one else should get stories but Rick, Michonne, Carl and Maggie.

15. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Exactly. Negan gives two shits about Daryl or he would have either done the job himself or have his right hand man, Simon do the dirty job, not some former traitor who is trying to hard to get back on his good graces.

16. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Not at all, but they're the immediate aftermath of Lucille, which is what I think Babarossa was getting at; they're delaying the emotional pay-off from the premiere until 704-705. Rick, Michonne, Carl, Maggie, and Sasha were the ones most affected by Negan's introduction.

17. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Ah i get it now. I was confused at first. I agree the story needs to be about Maggie and Sasha right now. They did lose the most.

18. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah Dwight's story is all about Daryl right now and vice versa.

19. candi18z

candi18z Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    I agree with this! The Cell was about Daryl vs Dwight. The competition is between Dwight/Daryl and the episode was about how Daryl is stronger and better than Dwight. Dwight is the one who is supposed to look weak because he broke and Daryl didn't. Everything in the episode was designed to pit the men against each other and for Daryl to be the better man. Even Dwight's wife Sherry has taken an interest in Daryl.

Denie39 and anya7890 like this.
  20. gabbyrock

gabbyrock Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    Nope the Daryl lovers eat that shit up. " ohh poor Daryl they tortured him, ooh poor Daryl they feed him dog food ... oh poor Daryl feels bad about Glen - see he cares.. but ...ohh he's so bad ass he wont give in .. yeah!!"

MamaGrimes likes this.