1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

We get it...Daryl is stronger (therefore better) than Rick

Discussion in '7x03: The Cell' started by tuswig, Nov 7, 2016.

1. gabbyrock

gabbyrock Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    It was all about Dwight to me (the emo crap was to keep the daryl fans happy ( it reminds me of Carols quote about Stories for children vs real life for adults). I felt Dwight was trying to get Daryl to do as he did so he had a partner he could trust against Negan? everyone saw the hate in his eyes ever time Negan talked to or about him> He looked pissed at Darly for not getting the hints and being stupid as usual.

When Dwight took Daryls shit and left him in the woods last season, it was after Daryl was bragging about ASZ and his freinds. Him and Sherry shared a look, I originally thought they didint believe him and thought he was setting them up, but I think they knew that with a place like that,Negan was gonna come calling once he found out it was there. Negan is everywhere or will be - maybe thats why they went back. He saw the big picture. He went from wife thief/traitor to Lieutenant how fast? He could have just kept under the radar while Sherry was "safe" with Negan - but he has gone out of his way to prove himself to be be close to Negan why? Are eggs sandwiches worthy Negan rubbing his face in it every chance he can get?

2. gabbyrock

gabbyrock Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    As long as they aren't stetting him up to be the one to ultimately take out Negan - that would suck butt. If we completely ignore daryl was in the episode I personally hope its Dwight - he's playing the long game on getting Negan to trust him for a reason.

3. Narna

Narna Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    I don't think Rick is displayed as weaker in the show, I also don't think Negan thinks so. When he said "little bitch" it was just his way to further torture Rick, mocking him for what Negan literally forced him to do. It's a pretty disgusting thing and he also does this to Dwight.

Both Daryl and Rick are strong and saying that Daryl has nothing to lose is not true. Sure that he doesn't have a blood family, a lover or a child, that still doesn't mean he cannot be blackmailed with TF.

The contexts of Rick's and Daryl's tortures were entirely different. Rick had to hurt his own child or all of TF would have died, while Daryl was entirely seperated from his family and no threat was aimed at them.

If Negan had openly said in Daryl's face in ep 3: "I will have {Rick/Carl/Maggie/Rosita/Sasha etc} killed if you don't become my soldier," then he certainly would have kneeled but Negan doesn't want that. (The line up was an entirely different thing imo and it was done so poorly oh my god. But anyway.)

I think he sees Daryl as a new toy he can torture and enjoy how he doesn't break with their usual methods, or rather a wild animal he wants to tame but it's just a challenge for him, the moment Daryl would give in entirely, like Dwight, Negan would lose interest.
    I don't think he respects Daryl, he just enjoys his hot-headedness and pride, because it's fun to slowly break someone like that.

Negan did catch on the relationship of Daryl and Rick so it's really not just random why he took him. Rick wanted to do something in the line up when they tackled Daryl, hence why Negan shouted at him angrily, so basically Daryl is just a tool to further torture Rick, further torture and break Dwight while Negan just enjoys the torment and the power he has over all of them.

Towards Rick I think deep inside he might have some sort of respect.

As a Daryl fan I also see that several people think Rick is weaker, but I also see the opposite.

And I am personally aware that Daryl is constantly used as a plot device to further develop others' stories, or to introduce new communities and people. And I am real tired of it. Either give him some sort of story even if with less screentime, like in S1-S3, which I liked so much, or idk. They should learn to handle more character better.

#83 Narna, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  4. treecie

treecie Hiding in Dale's RV
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This is how I feel. I didn't want to see Negan again before finding out about how Rick and his family are doing. I kept the episodes on my DVR because I plan to go back and watch, but it will be after I get to see the people I wanted to see grieve the loss of their loved ones. I too don't like the way they held the audience hostage for weeks.

I don't like skipping episodes. Since S1E1, I have seen every episode live except when I had a conflict then I watched as soon as I could. I hate that there is a gap in my knowledge, but I knew I would be more pissed off than anything so it wasn't healthy for me to watch until I could get some closure with the grieving characters, sans Daryl.

All about Negan...great! This is going to make me look for episode spoilers. I'm not going to be able to watch an episode live with him in it. If there are even any without him in it.

smittynoah likes this.