1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to the Rick of 6.10???

Discussion in '6x15: East' started by tuswig, Mar 28, 2016.

1. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    And I think this is also a set-up for when Rick gets the upper hand with Negan for him not to kill him like the audience expect.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  2. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I am so conflicted about my beloved Rick! He is,oh,so complicated. I haven't read the comic, but I know what happens, basically. I am actually afraid for them; all of them; as I should be according to what I know about the comic. I think it's right to agree that Rick is over-confident and arrogant. Is it apart of him having to keep that kill-attitude at the ready; to be able to access that skill set at a moment's notice? I was worried during his play date with Daryl that he was being kinda fool-hearty. I see now it was to bring us to this point in the narrative. Then, later , on a different kind of play date with Michonne, he seemed to put that "Today's the day." into action. I thought that was a way for the writers to level him out a bit. Then, when they are in the intimacy of their private space, he tells her that the world is theirs...oh no!(Was it suppose to be like --the juicy got him crazy?) Wasn't she worried when he said that? It was disconcerting to hear him say that about the Carol situation at the prison...OMG...I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He is all in now (because, oh my goodness, he never does anything dispassionately) with his love for Michonne...he would beg to save her. I have so many thoughts on this duality that is being explored concerning Rick. I just want to see them do justice to the awesomeness that is Rick Grimes.

SevenStars and Selfyshhh like this.
  3. Selfyshhh

Selfyshhh Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    I think we fail to forget that Michonne and Rick are two of kind (kindred spirits). We forget Michonne went to fight the governor underestimating the fight and if she wasn't quick thinking, she could have died in that scene. They are both confident fighters who only face the possibility of defeat when they have no choice. Even then, they try to find their way out of it.

I found Rick statement "the world is ours" not of arrogance but of confidence. It's like saying "I have everything I need now and I dare anyone try to take it" and Michonne was agreeing to that. Since they have defeated many saviors, it is only natural for them to believe they will defeat the rest of the Saviors headed their way. Rick and Company has survived some brutal moments so I would think their fear level would have subsided by now, when it comes to their enemies. Imagine being a winner your entire life, would you really think you would lose at anything you tried. They have won so far, so they know it will be a fight but a fight they can win or shall I say, a fight they should win. This will make Negan and the Saviors more of a terrifying threat to Rick, Michonne and the family when they lose for a while.

#23 Selfyshhh, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  4. Armte

Armte I Drink and I Know Things
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    The 3 seasons of the Carol's struggles has burned me out on this storyline. As much as I love Rick I can not go through another characters inner turmoil with killing. After living in the ZA for two years they all have to know by now the law of the land is "kill or be killed". That's why the Carol story is getting ridiculous. She leaves because she can't kill anymore and an hour into her round trip she gets attacked and has to kill. Carol crying because she didn't want to kill made no sense since she knew those man planned on killing her. If she no longer wants to kill then she should do sucicide by Walker. This is the only way you survive in the ZA people, you just have to juggle the kill gene along with your humanity.

Rick, the only thing I thought was out of character was the David and Kevin revelation. Since Gimp wrote this episode with a hard on for Carol, we know why Rick went there. I see no fault in his cockiness persay. We all know that if Rick didn't attack the saviors they would eventually had come for them. They had already attacked Daryl, Sasha and Abe. I think Rick felt good because they were being proactive for a change instead of lambs to the slaughter (terminus, the prison attack). Plus his group had taken care of the saviors pretty easily. So some of his confidence was warranted. I don't see a problem in Michonne supporting him. She has shown apprehension with the plan and hasn't been rah rah. But when Rick says "we are not losing any of it again". I don't expect Michonne to say "well we may lose some of it or we just don't know what's going to happen". Michonne is a warrior to her core and she will fight to the death, so I see nothing wrong in her supporting Rick on his statement. Because Michonne always believes in herself and the families abilities. I will admit the "world is ours" was over the top but I am giving Rick a pass here due to awful writing.

LadyJ and susannahmiyyah like this.
  5. michrick

michrick Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    Agree! I also didn't see it as arrogance. He was confident and Michonne agreed. They are both warriors and fighters. They have defeated many villains from the Governor to Terminus and now the Saviors. She understands him and also exudes confidence in their abilities as individuals and now that they are together and a power couple, they both feel the same way. " He's reassuring his woman that they've got this. And she's doing the same for him.

Rick has secured a place for his family. They have a home. He has his woman by his side. So now that's why he says the world is ours and no one is going to take what they have worked for away from them.

When Rick was out with Morgan and brought up there were more Saviors, and Morgan pointed out to Rick that he may have just started something, Rick was quiet. I think that comment humbled him. I think it made him realize he underestimated Negan and his crew. And now there will be repercussions for their actions.

Katbird and susannahmiyyah like this.
  6. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think 6.10 was really the new true Rick but last night he was stressed bc Michonne left and he has no idea where she went...and he didn't get to have morning sex...I blame this all on Maggie lol.

7. Kordas

Kordas Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    :gimp: happened.

LadyJ, tuswig, Katbird and 1 other person like this.
  8. susannahmiyyah

susannahmiyyah Hiding in Dale's RV
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Exactly. This is building up the smack down from Negan. The submission of Rick will feel so much more horrible because of all of these events leading up to that moment.

The whole bed scene, with the apple they were sharing, the confidence, all of that. Pride before the fall. A little bit of love is blind as well. I mean no matter how much they are warriors, they are still affected by love and getting this taste of bliss and they'll do anything to protect it.

For all of their victories, Jesus was right when he said that their world was about to get much larger. And in this new world, they will all realize that the way they handled things before will not be enough.
    They may lose this battle, but they will hopefully learn the lesson to begin to prepare for AOW....

9. DirtieBirdie

DirtieBirdie Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    Rick's arrogance will definitely set him and TF up for a mighty fall, which makes for great television.

My take on his discussion with Morgan about Carol: I view it almost as a reverse of her comment to him before entering Alexandria. "Even though you were wrong, you're right"
    I think he knows and still believes that she was wrong to kill Karvid, but he understands her motives, because I think he felt the same way about the preemptive strike on the saviors. Even though the situation was different in that the saviors were not a part of their community, they were a threat that had to be eliminated but it still didn't completely sit right with him. By cutting Carol slack out loud to Morgan, I think he was justifying his own actions, which are justifiable. And despite their differences, I think he still values Morgan's friendship and his opinion. It's just that Morgan's opinion makes him uncomfortable because it's one he used to have. (We don't kill the living). He doesn't anymore and he can't and he's ok with it, but he's not, because like someone else wrote, he's still that good guy sheriff deep down. He's still a good a man, but he has to do what he has to do.

ReeciePiecey likes this.
  10. richonneromance

richonneromance Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Hm I didn't have trouble with this.

He came around to Alexandria being a good place when the other residents banded together with him to take back their home. He felt inspired and confident after that and told comatose Carl that it gave him hope. So his optimism after two months of peace made sense. Their only pressing issue was running out of food.

Then in the space of a few days, he meets Jesus, who introduces himself by stealing their truck/food and eventually ruining it all together (plus he walks in on/slightly ruins Rick's first time with his leading lady!) then makes the team essentially become mercenaries for Hilltop because they're weak fighters. So he's thrust back into the rough life again, after some genuine peace. He restarts his brutal!Rick mentality again when dealing with outsiders (particularly when he knows they killed a teenager and got Hilltop to try to behead Gregory, so he knows they're not dealing with amateurs here) but when he's just chilling inside ASZ, he's fine. He and Michonne note that the deal they made with Jesus ended up working out so it was good that they did it, even if it meant unfortunately going back to killing/brutality again.

11. CordeliaMathews

CordeliaMathews Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I think Rick got better because he had a large period of peace where he didn't have to kill anyone, and so his humanity rose back up. Then when he had to kill Ethan it was like the beast woke up again. The beast grew when he killed all of those saviors in their sleep (another act that I actually saw as logical and necessary, given the knowledge he had available at the time). The problem is that the beast is now strong enough to take control.

Morgan is right, the killing is getting to him. He thinks the world belong to him (and Michonne, but although the fact that he wants to share with her is sweet, it does not make it right). This sense of entitlement led to him trying to kill an innocent man that probably has nothing to do with saviors, and then not even understanding why that was a bad thing to do.

I am feeling really conflicted about Rick Grimes right now. I am happy with him in regards to his behavior towards Michonne, but unhappy with how he is behaving as a human being. I want the Rick of 6x10 back, because that is who I really wanted for Michonne, but I see how it would have been unrealistic for him to stay that way.

Tisha Grimes, tuswig and Katbird like this.
  12. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Great points! When Rick was going through his cray phase again being obsessed with Jessie, we all said "Nope, this is not the Rick we know and love... this is NOT the man we want for Michonne." And I'll be honest, I don't think Rick is his best self right now either...and to make it worse, Michonne is not checking Rick (one of the qualities I most loved from their friendship).I read the comics, I know Rick is being set up for a great fall but I hate the transition from 6.10 to now... it's jarring how stark the differences are, that's my issue along with Michonne not following her instincts. It also bothers me that Denise literally just died, the woman who saved Carl's life, the only doctor, and Rick doesn't seem to have a care in the world about it. He underestimated the number of Saviors, he knows it's only a matter of time before they attack his community and the only doctor is dead...that's huge. The Rick and Michonne we know would be seen preparing...strategizing and this may be unpopular, but I would've rather seen them doing that together (with a moment of tenderness) than in bed.

In my opinion, the parallels between Rick and Shane did not end with Jessie, they're still there.

#32 tuswig, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    DirtieBirdie and CordeliaMathews like this.
  13. HustleBunnee

HustleBunnee Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This was the first thing that popped in my head when he said "The world is ours"!! Foreshadowing....

[​IMG]

Later on, "a million dollar a week business, reduced to f*ckin rubble".

14. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    This is a good conversation. Besides the bedroom scene with Michonne and Rick worrying about Michonne, Rick kind of confused me. I can't tell if he's not thinking straight or it's just bad writing to make this conflict happen. He does seem really cocky, and yes, why isn't Michonne being the voice of reason?

tuswig likes this.
  15. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I would agree with this but the person that will most likely get punished is not the arrogant one. I just hate that the person of sound mind is made the lesson for everyone else.

16. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I liked the bedroom scene until that moment when Rick went all ASZ Porch Rick on me. I really did not care for Rick in 5b and a lot of 6a, not only because of the Jessick mess, but because he was so arrogant and dismissive of his family. I guess I will tolerate arrogance since his family is still important to him, but yeah, arrogant Rick does nothing for me. He further exacerbated my dismay when he had his conversation with Morgan, but a lot of that, I chalked up to false bravado. He seemed to be trying to convince himself that his actions of late was right and in doing so, he also supported Carol's actions.

DirtieBirdie likes this.
  17. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    All the things we have said in this thread is why I feel like the writers are not only setting him up for a huge fall but also writing it in a way that makes the audience feel like he deserves to be knock down by Negan. A narrative that makes them cheer for Negan because he is knocking down the cocky, arrogant, stupid Rick.

Most of the audience won't remember or care that Daryl and Maggie helped make and encourage the deal that had Rick throwing the first rock at Negan, thinking he can easily take Negan. They won't care or remember that TF and all of ASZ agreed and signed onto this plan, except Morgan. They won't care that Carol agreed to help them fight this war and than just left them behind to fight it by themselves.

All the audience will remember is how fucking cocky and arrogant Rick was in this episode, the episode before Negan knock him down.

This episode didn't only set people in places for the next episode but it also set up the narrative that most of the audience will remember in the next episode. So yeah, I won't be surprise to see people cheering on Negan for knocking Rick down, while they might still hate him for killing a main character.

This is why I feel like the writers are going to try to keep Negan on the show for as long as possible, make the audience root for him a little and dirty Rick up to make it happen.

This is why I truly, truly dislike this narrative. I hope I'm wrong because I really don't like the idea of Rick getting hated on because the writers want to keep Negan on for longer than necessary. I love Negan but Rick is and will always be my#1 guy.