1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Why did they change the shooting?

Discussion in '6x09: No Way Out' started by Doctor Grimes, Jul 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The original take of Carl's shooting had Ron aiming for Rick, then Carl making a heroic dive in front of the bullet to save his dad. Michonne kills Ron shortly after.

When the episode aired, it had been edited so that Michonne stabbed Ron before Ron could fire a shot at Rick; then, as Ron was falling in his death throes, he shot the bullet that happened to hit Carl in the face.

... why did they feel the need to change this?

2. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    To grey area Michonne for future storylines?

forevermichonne likes this.
  3. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I've had a couple thoughts about it.

Here's the different explanations I could see:

- Like @Lilly965 said, it was done to make Michonne more "morally grey" as opposed to the white knight she usually is. However, it's unfortunate the fallout of Michonne killing Ron was never even brushed. Not even discussed. Nor was Rick's culpability. (Both issues that bother me.)

- Ron actually attempting to murder Rick made the network squeamish. While Lizzie killed her sister, maybe they thought Ron was too relatable to teenagers in the audience, and they didn't want to promote gun violence. So Carl getting clipped by an errant bullet was the best option.

- Carl leaping in front of the bullet was too cliche. It also would eliminate the gut punch of Rick realizing he'd been shot.

- The take they originally shot didn't look right in post, so they worked with what footage they had to make the story work.

4. forevermichonne

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah I think your last suggestion is probably what happened. Something just didn't look right and they had to save face. The scene did come out rather awkward. Even the beginning where it was suddenly night time. That random cut to a gun on the ground lol they were scraping.

But that's interesting about AMC execs viewing and giving a note that Ron shooting Rick couldn't be as direct. Kids have killed before, but his kill has too much anger and revenge behind it. Not a message you wanna send to the kiddos.

I think the scene should have played out that Ron was about to shoot while Carl gets in front of Rick, shoots just before Michonne stabs him, but you can visibly see his hand move from the heart to the head area and then bloom blam, Carl is shot. You could still have a reveal on Rick's end.

Sasha's Living Room and msbold1 like this.
  5. Jessica

Jessica Slopping Pigs
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I liked it the way it went in the comics. Douglas, getting eaten, randomly fires off his gun as he's being devoured. That would have worked for Ron.

6. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm not entirely sure gun violence would have anything to do with it considering the kid had been swinging his gun around for awhile anyway. I'm more or less thinking it was an editing issue or even possibly, they wanted to showcase what Michonne was willing to do to protect the Grimes family. She killed a kid, much like Carol, even though she knew the pain of losing a kid. It's one thing to kill him after he'd shot Carl in an attempt to kill Rick, it's completely different to do it as a preventive measure. We immediately see Michonne go into "family" mode there and all the scenes after - her kissing Carl goodbye, being desperate to help Rick, holding Judith and being in Rick's inner circle in the aftermath while the rest of the group waits outside.

It would've been nice to see some follow up though. Buuuuuut I also like Michonne because she isn't constantly in anguish over her decisions. We always say the characters did what they have to do but then we're usually treated to mental breakdowns and episodes of angst as they comes to terms with it. So I would've been happy with either outcome I guess - if they'd focused more on it or moving on with it like they did.

7. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    They seemed pretty intent on steamrolling past the aftermath. So if they went with the first take, they would have to cover Rick's anguish and guilt (which would be even more prominent in the first take) that would result from his son taking a bullet for him.

I don't think it being cliche had any reason. They could always shoot it to make it surprising. I really wish they had stuck to the original take because I love it so much more.

vinivre and forevermichonne like this.
  8. Sasha's Living Room

Sasha's Living Room Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    somewhere with excessive air conditioning
    Interesting. I'm glad they didn't have Carl do the dive. Having a kid take a bullet for his parent seems to me much worse than just a kid shooting at an adult. The moral greying or Michonne is an interesting concept. Kind of like when she killed the cabin hermit.

Anyway, thanks for the explanations. I've always been bothered by that scene. Wasn't the gun pointed in the wrong direction, too? It looked to me like it was aimed heart level or lower when it fired.

9. Chaos

Chaos Michonne licks Rick clean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I don't understand why it would be a problem for the network to show Ron actually shoot Carl when the show is rated MA.

Sooo, imo, kids shouldn't be watching this show to begin with. If parents don't want their kids to witness "gun violence" then they should only allow their children to watch shows that are suitable for them! It's kinda like, 1+1=2 folks, lmao! DON'T ALLOW KIDS TO WATCH SHOWS THAT ARE RATED MA! That's the obvious solution.

That's why I don't get when people say AMC can't show certain things because "kids"! Kids shouldn't be watching TWD in the first place!

10. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah I wondered why they didn't just play it straight there as well. I think they wanted to use Ron's antagonism as a catalyst for it all. Maybe Ron firing his gun as he was dying and hitting Carl was a way to kind of pay homage to Douglas shooting while being devoured?

Jessica likes this.
  11. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I would have like for it to have played out where Michonne killed Ron after he shot Carl. It would have been a great story of her having guilt of killing a kid. They could have had Ron aiming for Rick but then Ron starts crying or freaking out and just shoots the gun without really aiming. It would have been a lot better then what they did. With this show something happens but no one really deals with the stuff they have done.

box5angel and Appetence like this.
  12. balladsinthebluegrass

balladsinthebluegrass Hold to things that are bright.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Maybe we could get some Richonne sex scenes if everyone actually followed the damn ratings!

gmc_vitamind, box5angel and Chaos like this.
  13. gmc_vitamind

gmc_vitamind Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    This!!!!!! They got away with showing Abraham and Rosita's sex scene, so we neeeeed a richonne one. Also, young kids watching this show is soooo problematic.

14. balladsinthebluegrass

balladsinthebluegrass Hold to things that are bright.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    My cousin lets his kids watch the show, and they are 10 on down. I was like "What???" :rickwtf:
    His defense was, "Don't judge me!" :|

gmc_vitamind likes this.