1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Why this was more than just a kiss.

Discussion in '7x05: Go Getters' started by Barbarossa-TWD, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    The Kiss
    [​IMG]

Remember the last episode started with Rick and Michonne having their backs to each other.
    [​IMG]

Funny how all of those people who were LOUDLY speculating that Richonne might break up are silent now that they have kissed and made up.

It was not just any old kiss, it wasn't even a goodbye kiss, it was a kiss that said loud and clear

[​IMG]

Michonne: We can find a way.
    And if we don't... I'm still with you.

[​IMG]
    Michonne: We can find a way.
    And if we don't... I'm still with you.

The most important point that they are all missing is afterwards her conversation with Carl:

Carl: Why didn't you go with my dad?
    Michonne: I have to figure some things out.
    Carl: What is there to figure out? How we can do this. If we can.
    Carl: We can't. No, not like this.
    Michonne: Your dad thinks differently.
    Carl: And he's wrong. You know it.
    Michonne: Even if I think he is... ...I don't know. Change your bandage later, and be nice to Olivia.

[​IMG]
    This "knowing" stuff and thangs is directly from

Aaron: You can trust me.
    Michonne: I'll check out the cars.
    Rick: There aren't any cars.
    Michonne: There's only one way to find out.
    Rick: We don't need to find out.
    Michonne: We do.
    You know what you know and you're sure of it, but I'm not.
    [​IMG]

It is this progression of Rick and Michonne that has kept the whole damn family safe.
    So no, this is not just another kiss, it is their belief in one another that keeps them going. Just as Rick agreed with Michonne to see if there really were cars down the road, Michonne is now agreeing with Rick, but she want to KNOW if there really aren't "cars" i.e. a way out from under Negan's thumb.

2. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
  3. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    Yes, this is the parallel that I saw with The Distance. As soon as Michonne uttered "I don't know", I immediately thought of those Richonnne scenes as she questions Rick, she isn't sure and doesn't know 100% that Aaron is lying so she is willing to find out by going to check out the cars. And Rick eventually relents for her. Same in this instance, she agrees with Rick to an extent, about laying low with Negan or no way out of the situation,.but she isn't 100% at all, she doesn't know for sure, which is why she is going to find out on her own for him. Why Michonne is Ricks ride or die woman.

Loved the Lorick and Richonne gif comparisons. Lori made it abundantly clear that she did not support Rick regarding Shane nor his decisions, while withholding her affections because she was angry, when Rick needed her touch and comfort the most after the Shane reveal. He needed to know that she stood by his decision and supported him. This ish BURNED me so dammed much! :rant:Loris reaction to Rick was visceral and hurtful and showed how much she despised and literally repulsed by Rick killing Shane, and did not support him during one of Ricks lowest moments. Juxtaposed with how Michonne lovingly, and adamamtly reaffirmed that she was still with Rick no matter what, and the kiss was her way of demonstrating that she still loved him, still desired him as a man, trusted him and his decisions even if she diagreed with his approach, supported him, and would be there for him ALWAYS." I am still with you." :holdheart::ripme:Richonne at their finest and why they are IT for each other and the love of one each others lives. True soulmates! :hearts:

#3 ALDGRichonneLover, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  4. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Oy vey! Like night and day.

5. ALDGRichonneLover

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Pretty much! Lori just did not get Rick, AT ALL! This is why Richonne are :catchemall: together and perfect for one another. They get each other on a much deeper level that Lori never could nor would get to with Rick.

6. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    This is different.
    - Rick Grimes​

7. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Great analysis... it makes all the sense, that's why they are so perfect together... meant to be since the beginning.

8. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    The images say everything, we don't even need any words.

Marcie69, Katbird and Barbarossa-TWD like this.
  9. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Lest we forget how angry she is with his decision at the moment. We've rarely seen Michonne cry thats how upset she is.

[​IMG]

10. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Like day and night. Day and night.

Marcie69, lovingdead and Katbird like this.
  11. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    The feelings they feel for each other, what they mean to each other, is unmatched, unparalleled in their lives, in their past relationships. Rick definitely didn't have it with Lori, before or after the turn. And, Mike was shattered by the he turn. Rick was traumatized and broken by events after the turn, both he and Michonne were, but the turn itself, did not break him...or her. Knowing that they have this love that has no words, means everything to both of them. That kiss, she is telling him: "The dead walking the earth, the loss of our beloved friends, the threat of a maniac, is of no consequence to what I feel for you. All of that, yes, but I'm just in the ZA with the man I love : fighting walkers, mourning loved ones, caring for and raising our children, finding a way to defeat a madman, all of it, with the man I love. I am not throwing in the towel, not giving up on you, on us, on our life. I am done taking breaks. My love for you, my love for our children, my belief in our love, our life together, the future, knows no bounds. I will fight for us with the last breath in my body. I love you". They have a love supreme.

12. walkinggirl26

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    And what made it even worse which is why so many still hate Lori and will never forgive her is she egged Rick on to do something about Shane, and then when he did, that's when she pulled away from him. How was he supposed to feel about that almost like she preferred that Shane had killed him so they could pick back up with their new family before Rick showed up. Of course, she regretted it soon after, but Rick had left the building at that point. He just couldn't take the chance that she would hurt him again like that, so he kept his distance from her. Oh, he was still there to protect her and the baby, but emotionally he had checked out. And that's what he was dreading, what was his worst fear coming true once again with the woman in his life that Michonne would reject him, pull away from him, look at him with disappointment and anger.

Ah, but that's not what he got because Michonne is a different type of woman because she's been in the same spot where her SO let her down, stopped believing in her, didn't support her, just gave up, and she wasn't going to do the same for her love. She wanted to make sure that he knew with that kiss that, no, she wasn't leaving him, she still had faith in him, she still loved him, and she was still with him, and to give him hope that they would figure it out together. Rick had to think how different the two women were and how did he get so lucky to have Michonne, her love, her strength, her level head, her determination to make things right. That kiss had to make him feel 10 feet tall and give him some of his confidence back because he knows that as long as she's with him he can get through anything, he can do anything.

13. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    [​IMG]

You yo mama's son.

This is really sad, the first time Rick leaves Carl without giving him a big hug.

14. ALDGRichonneLover

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yes, Michonnes faith in Rick is paramount and this is the stark difference between Lori and Michonne. Michonne may not agree with Ricks tactics but her faith in him does not waiver. Oh, she may have to knock him TF out on occassion, but she still will believe in him as a leader and as a man. I think briefly she had Mike vibes for a hot moment, because lets face it, what Rick went through in that clearing, as a father, leader and man would shake even the most stoic and hardened of individuals. Rick was rocked to his core with everything that transpired that day. Yet, he is still able to get up in the morning, tend to and love on his baby girl daughter, take a HEAP of abuse from Negan all trying to protect his family, still lead the AZ, keep Killah Carl at bay while he feels like less than a man in his own home because Carl is angry and disappointed in him and he thinks Michonne feels the same. To top it off, he is still reeling.from the brutal loss of two of his closest friends and.mourning them. This man is under trememdous stress, and anxiety, and the fact that he can even crawl out of bed and get sh*t done, still try, just amazes me and majes me love RG even more.
    I think Ricks confession and watching Carl/Rick at odds, seeing her man with the weight of the world on his shoulders and looking defeated, in that moment, I think Michonne felt she was going to lose Rick on all fronts and she wasn't having ANY of that again. She was not going to allow Negan to destroy her happiness, Rick, their family and all that they built and worked for together. No way, no how. So, unlike Lori, she had to make Rick really understand that she wasn't leaving and that she would stand tall behind him and support him in his decisions, including trying to find a solution to the Negan problem together as a unit. She could not have her man leave for days with that additional burden to carry with him on top of everything else. She loves him and is fighting for them and their family. It's why Rick thanked Michonne. She is giving him that strength to fight Negan and definitely hope to take him down together. Michonne and Richonne are so beautiful!! :holdheart:

15. Richonne4Lyfe

Richonne4Lyfe Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    They haven't really ever been away from each other that long :(

16. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
  17. richonneromance

richonneromance Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    The Lorick scene that came to mind for me was after the barn reveal. Rick is obviously dejected and upset and he turns to look at Lori and Carl who really don't offer any sympathy, they just stare back. Physical and emotional distance. Later, when Rick expresses embarrassment and anger at his continued searching for Sophia, Lori puts one hand on his face but he almost instantly shakes it away and walks off. Even when Lori tried affection, it didn't work. There was always too much space between them. Her hand on his cheek was embarrassing, not comforting. If Lori of all people has to pity him, he's really fucked up. But with Michonne because they're already equals, not only does he listen and take in her affection, but he appreciates and revels in it. He wants it and needs it, as a person who needs love, it's not all just a marital obligation.

18. SweetDee85

SweetDee85 Richonne Trash
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This is a great parallel you picked up on the "knowing". In both instances, Michonne respects Rick's stance BUT she will still be pragmatic in her own right. She's not just gonna do whatever he says and that be the end of it. No, she will have a voice but respect his at the same time. I love them.

19. MsAntiSocial

MsAntiSocial Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I think you can throw a lot of criticism at the show, but forgetting Rick and Michonne are a couple is not one of them. Maybe I'm missing something, is he referring to before they went canon? I can't think of any examples of the show forgetting about their relationship since it became official.

20. walkinggirl26

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah, I didn't get that either. Plus the crap hit the fan soon after they got together, so there really hasn't been a lot of time for lovey dovey when you're killing Saviors, out looking for people that just won't keep their butts at home, and you're on your knees watching some of your family members get their heads bashed in and having to almost cut your son's arm off. So I actually think they struck the right balance with the little touches and convos that they did have because anything more and it would have come off them being selfish and unfeeling, which we got some complaints of that in East with them eating the apple in the bed after Denise died although they weren't the only ones who had slept together. That gets ignored, of course, but it was just a blip of criticism from a few. So I think SG is doing it right with having them have some tension, some depth, some layers, some not seeing eye to eye and not just everything's honky dory and they're all draped over each other like they're not bothered about what's going on, which would have invited some pretty vocal criticism and fodder for the haters.