1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Would Rick be able to keep going after his children's death?

Discussion in 'Rick / Andrew Lincoln' started by Kordas, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Kordas

Kordas Den Mother
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    There is a thread about Rick's relationship with his children but it's all cute and sweet and this topic doesn't really fit there.

Now that is a very theoretical question since I'm pretty certain Carl is gonna outlive Rick, but it's still interesting to speculate.

Do you think Rick would keep going even after losing both of his children?

We know Rick loves his kids very much, more than anything. We saw that on multiple occasions, especially with Carl. So if he lost both of them it would be a horrible blow to him, something that would break him. Question is: would he be able to keep going? We know that now he has Michonne and tons of other people he loves and considers family. He has entire community depending on him. But no matter how close he is to the rest, his goal number one is to protect Carl and Judy. He failed to protect Lori and it made him near suicidal. But he came back for his children. We saw Abe, who was as family-oriented man as Rick was, trying to kill himself after losing his family.

Would Rick react in very much the same way: ending his life? Would he keep going but be a broken man, shell of who he once was, wanting nothing to do with leadership and pretty much just waiting for the death to claim him? Would he just go nuts and become another Morgan, living in the woods, killing survivors just because? Or do you think he would be able to overcome their death with help of Michonne and other Alexandrians?

balladsinthebluegrass likes this.
  2. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    no. It would be the end for him and his ultimate failure (in his mind)

3. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Both of them? Hell no, he'd be done.

4. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    In short? I don't think he'd commit suicide if he lost his kids only if he still had the community and Michonne (if he lost everything, he'd blow his head off); but I don't think he would live for very long because he wouldn't have the iron will to keep going any longer.

5. Harshmallow

Harshmallow Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think losing his kids (especially Carl) would be his end. I don't think he'd commit suicide, but he'd give up and get himself killed soon after. Damn, it hurts to think about it.

6. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts Atlanta hunting down 712 Director's Cut
    Custom Banner
    Losing his kids would kill his will to live. Now if this happened while he was wondering the woods without a home and before Michonne, I could see him ending it. But now that he is the leader of Alexandra if he lost Judith and Carl he would become a shell of the man he once was. That will to live and make this world a better place for his kids would be gone. He wouldn't off himself because of the promises he feels he made to team family and Michonne but the man he was would be dead........ And a Richonne lizard wouldn't bring that man back :dale:

7. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    If Rick lost Carl and Judith I could see him becoming incredibly reckless. I don't know if he would take his own life, but he wouldn't hesitate to walk into a situation that would lead to certain death. He just wouldn't care anymore. Depending on what other factors or people are surrounding him, that could dictate how he'd respond. I see Rick as pretty impulsive (see post-Lori and post Carl being shot behavior). If for example, he was witness to his children's deaths (:gabe:) he'd go fucking ape shit crazy to kill the mofo who did it. If it cost him his life in the process, so be it.

I don't see him pulling a Morgan. To me it seemed like Morgan's mania was a form of self inflicted punishment. Also, he didn't have the will to kill himself. I don't see Rick reacting in that fashion.

Well, that was adequately depressing :lol:

8. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Well, we did see what happened when he assumed he lost one kid. He made sure to keep going for the one he had. If he lost both of them, I think he'd be done. Like @Appetence said, when it comes to situations like that, he throws himself into danger and that could very well lead to his death. I don't even know if Michonne could bring him back because either Carl or Judith's death would destroy her as well.

9. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This. He'd have no will to live. I don't think he'd be reaching for Kevin but he'd never come back from it. I sat here trying to imagine him continuing on and I can't, he'd be done. How he'd meet his maker depends but I can't see him lasting long afterwards.

The lizard :lol:

coffeebean, Armte and Appetence like this.
  10. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This may sound weird, but I think it would also depend on how the kids died if it happened as to how far gone Rick would become. I think cause of death plays a role in the grieving process.

If Rick felt -- in any way -- directly responsible? He might very well get himself killed deliberately or commit suicide.
    If Rick thought he could've done something more? He would just give up and feel worthless.
    If a person killed his kids? Rick would be dead-set on ending the people responsible -- and he'd probably never be able to trust people he didn't know again.

But if the kids were victims of something Rick knew he had no control whatsoever over? Like an illness? I don't know. I think Rick would definitely still feel a loss of purpose (which would make him listless), but I think he wouldn't feel responsible or less of a man if it was something like that. There'd be a better chance for Rick to move forward (not that I think he'd want to, but I think -- if there was any scenario where he could -- it would be something like a sickness).

11. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    This is way too depressing to think about, because we all know that it would devastate him and he would want to die with them as no parent ever wants to outlive their child. He would need to have a very strong Michonne to help bring him back. He would have to see that he still can live without them.

12. Gooey Goobert

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That is a good point. I don't think anyone considered them dying by something other than people or walkers. He'd still be broken, but this would be the only scenario where I could see him potentially (and very slowly) have the chance to recover from his loss. Although, I do think he'd still feel responsible even though there isn't much control in that situation, he would blame himself for what he could have done (e.g. securing a doctor, getting the necessary medicine, etc). In a way, this scenario would be much like Lori's death but even more devastating considering it's his children.

13. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah, I agree. The only scenario where I could see Rick try to survive and find purpose again with no children is if one of the kids had already died (like Judith) and Rick had already grieved and carried on for the other (Carl). Then, down the road, Carl got sick with something that killed him very slowly, that Rick had no way of stopping, and it gave Rick time to understand what was happening. Plus, if Carl were dying from something like an illness, he would drill it into his dad's head it wasn't his fault and there was nothing he could do. I think Carl would also have to tell his dad to keep moving.

In this scenario, then I think Rick would feel he owes it to his son to keep living. To keep his son's memory alive.

:ugh: I am depressed as hell now.

14. Tori

Tori The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    Rick would never recover if he lost both his children. They are what he lives for. I don't think he would kill himself but he probably wouldn't care if he did die.

lovingdead and coffeebean like this.
  15. Gooey Goobert

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Any of the members of Grimes 2.0 dying is like a punch to the heart, but having both his children die before him would be particularly hard to watch, especially Rick's reaction. I'm so relieved :judy:didn't kick it, and I hope she stays safe for the duration of the show.

lovingdead and Doctor Grimes like this.
  16. Tori

Tori The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I'm not sure Rick would move on even if he didn't feel responsible. Rick would probably still in some way blame himself. I don't think anything would help him recover from loosing both of his kids. Rick isn't the strongest person mentally. He hasn't been since Lori died. He walks the line of being barely sane to insane and takes these periodic trips to crazy town. It doesn't take much for him to go off the rails. If he lost them both I don't know if anything could bring him back from that. Michonne would probably wake up one day and he would be gone.

coffeebean likes this.
  17. coffeebean

coffeebean Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    Amongst the crumbs under Richonne's table
    Hey Ladies!

You know, for some reason I never think of Carl and Judith together when it comes to Rick's kids- I do but I don't- and that sounds stupid, I know. I mainly think only of Carl, and not because Judith isn't his. I'm thinking back to when the prison fell, and when they thought they had lost Judith. We knew Rick was grieving for sure. But he was moving on. He and Carl were moving on because they had to. I have always believed that if it had been Carl that had died, that we would have seen a different scenario altogether. His love for his boy is something to behold, and I think if anything ever happened to Carl, there'd be no coming back. The points that were made upthread about the way the deaths would happen being a factor in how Rick would handle their deaths made a lot of sense, but I still think Carl will always be the one he would grieve for the most. I know this makes Judith sound so unimportant, but I don't mean for it to be that way. I've just always felt that Carl is his heart. Michonne, as epic as their love is, wouldn't be able to bring him back from Carl's loss, Judith yes, Carl no. Both of his kids, no way. Not to mention that for Michonne, this would be the ultimate loss as well. Three kids lost, no way. She'd be a goner too.

Have a great day.

18. Walkingonsunshine

Walkingonsunshine The Ones Who Live
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think vengeance would also fuel Rick to keep him going. If he lost his kids because of circumstances like the war with Negan then he would keep going to see that Negan and all of the Saviors would be dead.

I think part of the reason Rick became so listless after Lori's passing is the culprit (Andrew) was already dead and he had already taken out the walker that ate her and killed some other walkers afterwards. He had nothing else to take the anger and guilt out on but I can only see Carl and Judith dying because of some crazy circumstances so I think he would have someone to blame and thus someone he would make his mission to kill.

19. balladsinthebluegrass

balladsinthebluegrass Hold to things that are bright.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]

Losing Carl would destroy him. Getting Judy back after he thought she was dead, only to lose her again, would be equally heart-breaking. With people to take care of as well as Michonne to think of, he wouldn't shoot himself. However, he would be reckless with grief and likely relieved from his duties before long. As Glenn said, someone else has to take over if Rick is touring crazy town.

20. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Rick loves his children with all of his heart. Finding Carl gave him purpose when he woke up alone at the end of the world and finding Judith gave him the strength to lead his group through many dangerous miles in search for a safe haven for her to grow up in.

[​IMG]

We all remember the speech Rick gave Carl at the end of 6x9 where he wanted to show his son the new world. Where for the first time since the world went bad, he actually felt hope.
    [​IMG]

Very compelling stuff. It would be easy and very logical for me to say losing Carl and Judith, especially all at once, would make him want to eat a bullet or at least live recklessly. I'm a parent of two and if my kids were to die in a car accident and I were to survive them? I don't know how I would carry on, to be honest. I would be a shell of my former self because so much of who I am is their mother. And so much of who Rick is is their father.

Suicide is an act taken by someone who is in intense pain and is desperate to have it stop. It's conceivable that a grieving Rick might be so overcome with pain that he would want to end it all.

But he won't. He wouldn't. I truly believe that. I believe that Rick would be devastated and he would need to mourn and to grieve and may even need to step down as leader but he will keep fighting to live another day. He will persevere. He will continue on making the world something more than it is so that his children didn't die in vain.

And here's why:

[​IMG]

Michonne is a mother who lost a child to the apocalypse. She grieved by herself and lost her way but them CAME BACK. The rules changed for her because she met Andrea and she met Rick and Carl and learned how to live again. I have faith that Michonne, who will be grieving with Rick, will help him find his path. Together they will figure it out. Will they be the same? Probably not. But together they will get through those dark times because they'll be able to lean on each other.

Rick would survive his children's death. He would learn how to navigate the world without them. But he wouldn't be the Rick Grimes we know and love and, to be honest, I think the heart of the show would be gone if the writers decided to play that card.

So, fortunately, I don't believe we'll ever have to deal with this macabre scenario, but I have faith either way that Rick could survive it.