1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Would Rick be able to keep going after his children's death?

Discussion in 'Rick / Andrew Lincoln' started by Kordas, Sep 27, 2016.

1. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    BEAUTIFULLY said MG! I truly believe Rick WOULD come back after losing CnJ. Oh, he would be beyond devastated and he wouldn't be the same, like how Michonne wasn't the same after losing Peanut. But they would find a way together.

And you are correct, Michonne was all in her own with her grief about Peanut and Mike/Terry. She had no one, just two pet walkers until she met Andrea. And even then, she never told Andrea about M/T/A. Rick would have a support system and would not be by himself unless he chose to go off alone to deal with his grief. But Rick is not a loner like Michonne so I can't really see him taking off. He needs family like that. However, I can see he going off the rails in grief crazy town for a while until he deals with his grief (Rick's mental state is more fragile than Michonne's) However, Rick Grimes WILL persevere and survive, in honor of his children but he will not be the same man that he was before. Having Michonne in his life during this time will be a great help because they both will need eachother to deal with the loss of CnJ (because you know losing these two would devastate Michonne as well).

I don't want to think about any of this..

#21 ALDGRichonneLover, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  2. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Same. I can't even envision it

3. Mischonne

Mischonne Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    This will sound cold but part of me thinks that Rick has had to learn to love Judith. I'm sure initially when she was born I'm sure he felt some resentment anger that this kid isnt mine but it is Carl sister so I have to take care of her. I think the fact that he almost lost Judith made him realize that he needs her in his life even though she isn't his .

BumpinGrimes and coffeebean like this.
  4. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Well I think it was easier for Rick to move on thinking he lost Judith after the prison fell. But now he is fully bonded with that baby girl. It's different than the relationship with Carl because Carl has been at his side since the beginning and they are now comrades as well as father and son. But Judith is the light that came out of the darkness and someone to strive for because she is the only true innocent. Either would mess him up big time. It's like how my daddy is totally bonded with my half brother who is not his. If he would have died early in their relationship it would be different than now that he has raised him and bonded with him completely. His love for me and him is different but doesn't every child have a unique bond with their parent different than their other siblings. Yes, I am the baby girl of his flesh but my brother is his son. Our mother died and he could have not remained as close with my brother but he did and considers my nephew his grandson. We also now have a stepbrother who my daddy has adopted as his son as well. Good men are like this. My daddy feels like God sent him all of his children.

5. Riko813

Riko813 Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I think it would possibly be the end of Rick. IDT he would commit suicide, but he would do reckless things that would get him killed or he would waste away by not eating or taking care of himself. The only thing that would make him want to continue living and striving is if Michonne is pregnant. If he believes there is another baby or babies he needs to protect he will strive forward and be even more protective of Michonne and the baby/babies.

Another factor I believe would be the age of Carl and Judith. If they are still very young, there is no coming back for Rick. If Judith and Carl are grown. It would be devastating to Rick but I think he could come back from that especially if he believed he did everything he could have done to protect them up to adulthood. In addition, if he still had little kids with Michonne, he would live on for them.

coffeebean likes this.
  6. Tyler

Tyler ▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Look at what happened at the mere assumption/thought that his son was going to die in S6E09... he as Danai explained it "wanted to end everything" - he was totally suicidal for a few moments. Everyone working together is what reeled him back... if Carl were to actually die before his eyes? He done.

If both his children were to die? He's definitely done.

7. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Oh, Lawd! How depressing, but IA with this ^^^
    Let's just hope that the writers don't take us there:(D:

MamaGrimes likes this.
  8. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think he would because all the other parents have been able to go on.

9. lovingdead

Patron

Walker Pets:
    I was actually just about to say something similar. After reading more responses and thinking about it I think Rick would overcome it. I think pre-herd invasion/pre-Michonne Rick wouldn't be able to. Maybe we have been selling him short based on his past mental breaks. We are gonna see Rick come back post-Negan next season. He will have the ultimate partner by his side and will be fighting for a sustainable community. Michonne and the beginning of society don't replace his children but he wouldn't have had those before. Also, yes @Tisha Grimes, the others have bounced back. Thy went through their dark periods but they didn't have as much as Rick had now. Carol is still working through her pain but I think she is dealing more with her killer nature than Sophia still being at he forefront. She will always miss her and have regrets but I think she has moved on. Michonne moved on too and it was having the bond with Andrea, Carl and Rick that helped her. Rick would find he strength eventually even if a trip to crazy happens I now think he would move on eventually. He is the leader and the backbone of the group, he always comes back because he knows he has too and it's who he is.

10. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think that Rick has support around him if something were to happen to his kids he could deal a lot better than the others did. Michonne was basically alone when she lost Andre and Abe was with people he really didn't know and he got through it. Carol was with people but they were not close like they are now and she got through it. So I think with the group support and Michonne by his side he would be ok.

11. lovingdead

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Omg, I forgot about Abe too. Yes, Rick has a great support system now.

I want to add that yes Rick lost it for a minute thinking Carl could have died in 6.9 but I have to say I don't think he was suicidal in that moment. I think he was feeling rage at the whole situation and just needed to do whatever he could come hell or high water. Maybe he thought hey I could die but hell what else do I have right now besides sheer force to try to get control back. He was impulsive yes but I honestly don't think he sent himself out to die. If so he could have just walked out there and let himself be consumed. But he went out fighting.

12. coffeebean

coffeebean Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    Amongst the crumbs under Richonne's table

Hey Mischonne!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it a few days/weeks there that Rick didn't even want to see Judith? I want to say it was. And then in the episode where Michonne first comes to the prison is where we see him hold her for the first time? So if I'm not mistaken, I think he did have to work up to it at first. Understandably so. Even if I am wrong, our man came through, if only for Carl's sake.

Have a great evening.

lovingdead likes this.
  13. lovingdead

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Not that I want to bring Jessie up but actually she just popped into my head. Granted Sam did die in front of her eyes and Rick thought Carl may die but their reactions were polar opposites. Someone like Jessie just crumbled and didn't even try to fight that hard for her other son to have a chance. She was still holding onto Carl for whatever futile reason but notice before she even gets bitten she just resigns herself to death. Rick could have done the same thing but he fought for Carl's chance and to protect Judith in a sense when he went back out into the herd. The clinic would have definitely been overrun by walkers and Carl would have for sure been gone as well as the rest of Alexandria. Even if Carl had died Rick was still fighting for something even if he died in the process. I think it was another case of his instincts just taking over. He didn't have the words to say hey TF, hey Alexandrians lets do this but that's what happened because he reacted in a split second.

#33 lovingdead, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Gooey Goobert and Mischonne like this.
  14. lovingdead

Patron

Walker Pets:
    I think he did need time to interact with her. That is a common reaction when the mother dies in child birth. Some men bond with the baby immediately but that isn't always the case as they are dealing with their own grief and yes maybe misplaced resentment. Complicate that with the whole who's the baby daddy thing and I think Rick's initial reaction was authentic although sad. He has more than risen to the occasion and. It was love at first sight when they had their first real moment. And now you can't tell anything otherwise than that's his baby girl.

#34 lovingdead, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  15. Mischonne

Mischonne Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    Thanks coffee bean !!!!I remember it exactly as you described. I agree it was understandable for him to distance himself from Judith. I think it wasn't until he found her post the prison that he was able to truly accept her in his heart. He pretty much carried and held her after the prison fell.

coffeebean likes this.
  16. The Last Big Kat

The Last Big Kat Vengeance For The Plunderers
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I agree with a lot of these points, lol. I think Rick would go through a lot of stages if Carl and Judy died. First, the rage/grief breakdown ala Lori's death and No Way Out, then assuming he survives that reckless stage, he would definitely have to step down from leadership again, and may never return to it. Michonne would be demoralized too - I actually told my best friend awhile ago that I think Carl dying would destroy Rick and Michonne's relationship. A lot of parents that lose children are unable to stay together; the pain's too great, and they associate eachother with the kid they lost. Rick and Michonne in particular bonded over Carl; his loss would devastate both of them, and it might be hard for them to be around eachother for that reason.

It might be slightly different for Rick adjusting to the world without Carl than it was for the other parents. Carol, Michonne, Morgan, and Abe all lost their kids a lot earlier in the apocalypse, and came to know the post-apocalyptic world as a world without their kids. Rick has grown in the apocalypse motivated by keeping his kids alive, so he would've done everything he's done so far to keep them safe, only to lose them. His entire post-apocalyptic identity would be destroyed years into it, and he'd be starting all over again.

I think he would continue to live, he's just so damn persistent and he has other people to care for, but a huge piece of him would be gone. A lot of that drive he has to live is because he wants to stay alive for his kids - if his kids are gone, there might not be that same intensity. But like other parents who've lost kids, he might find something else to live for, and technically he already has that in Team Family. It's not the same, but it's something.

He might find a time and a place when he could be happy again, but happiness doesn't negate the pain of loss. It just exists along side it.

Gooey Goobert likes this.
  17. Tammie Smith

Tammie Smith Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    Glad you brought that up. When the prison fell the first person hecask for was Coral. He kept screaming his name. It was only after he found Carl that he ask about Judith. I think he would lose it about Carl but honestly not Judith but I do believe he loves Judith.

Trinrichonnetrash and coffeebean like this.
  18. LanaKane828

LanaKane828 Walker Bait

Walker Pets:
    I agree his feelings about Judith are complicated because of the negatvity surrounding her arrival. I think his understanding of her is going to grow in an interesting and poignant way. I do believe in his consciousness she will have definition by her associations. Carl's sister is how I think she is filed right now. But a day will come that he will look at her and see Lori and Shane. He loved them both so deeply. J is all that is left of Shane. Something so beautiful left behind from the ugliness of his end. Her connection to Shane may actually endear her to Rick.

But all of that will become moot, however, because when all is said and done, she IS his. He is the only father she'll have ever known. She'll call him Daddy and will own every inch of his heart and soul. His love for her will the same as his love for Carl because she is the same as Carl - Rick Grimes's kid. That will win out in the end.

So if the unthinkable happened and he lost Carl, only Judith could keep him going. if he lost them both, I think he's done. Even if he stays alive he will be the show's title, walking dead. Rick is defined by how fiercely he loves. The only thing that could save him is if another Grimes kid (Spawn of Richonne) or grandkid is on the scene.

#38 LanaKane828, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  19. RichonneAlexandria

RichonneAlexandria Wearing a Necklace of Ears
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I totally agree with everything you wrote.

MamaGrimes likes this.