1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Compilation Your Fave is Problematic: Compilation of Character Misdeeds, Fuck Ups, and Flaws

Discussion in 'Characters & Cast' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    With the help of the bunker, we've devised a relatively impartial list of all the "bad things" various characters have been criticized for. OF NOTE: Some of these reasons are fairly shallow and stupid, some are very serious. Some are easily defensible, some are not forgivable. For ex: I don't really blame Rick for killing Bob Lamson, but it was still an action that was hasty and cruel. I understand why Rick did it, I don't hold it against him, but it's still worth noting. Likewise, I have on here Rick contemplating turning over Michonne, but I (and Michonne) understand why he did it -- and he didn't end up going through with it anyway.

Meaning: Not all of these things are inherently "bad", but on their surface they are. You don't have to think these are even anything to hold against these characters, I certainly don't, but it's worth looking at the bad sometimes.

This is just to show not every character is perfect. (Well, a few of them come close. I had to dig deep to find anything. :lol:)

I might make a list of "good things" as well just to balance it out. :gareth:

Rick Grimes
    He withheld the information Jenner gave to him from the group. This was incredibly crucial information the group needed to know.

He was emotionally cold to Lori following the events of "Beside the Dying Fire", even though she was pregnant and also trying to reach out to him.

He abandoned his fatherly duties during his emotional breakdown over Lori's death, leaving the group to look after Judith and Carl.

He shoved Glenn when Glenn was trying to help him in the cell block in "Say the Word".

He slapped Michonne's bullet wound when interrogating her, treating her with unnecessary roughness.

He chased Sasha and Tyreese away from the prison when he was having a manic fit.

He didn't pick up the hitchhiker with the orange backpack in "Clear".

He contemplated turning Michonne over to the Governor, even though he knew what kind of man the Governor was and what he would do to her.

He lost control when fighting Tyreese, beating him senseless.

He banished Carol from the prison without consulting the Council; he was unnecessarily cold to her by saying he didn't trust her with his children and no one would want her there.

He killed Bob Lamson when he didn't have to, which resulted in them being down a person for the trade, which resulted in Beth making a poor decision.

He punched Aaron in the face during their first meeting; he then threatened to kill him if the group didn't get back within a certain time.

He pursued Jessie before finding out she was being abused; there was an ambiguous scene that hinted Rick was thinking of killing Peter for her.

He asked an abuse victim (Carol) why she would care about what happened to Jessie (a victim of abuse).

He pushed Carl down during his street brawl with Pete.

He waved a gun at innocent civilians during his tirade after Deanna told him to stop fighting Pete.

He planned to take over Alexandria -- hiding guns away. He talked about threatening to slash open the throats of Deanna's family in order to finish this goal if she decided to banish him from her community. (He did reiterate it was just a threat, however. Still the action is heinous.)

He was incredibly callous about the treatment of Pete's body in front of Pete's son (Ron).

He was dismissive of Gabriel's offer to help with the herd.

He didn't want to save the Alexandrians when they were attacked by Walkers when they were working on the diversion wall.

He ripped down Father Gabriel's prayer circle flyers.

He hinted that he was going to get the food from Hilltop no matter what (it's unclear what he meant, but it's likely he would try to intimidate, steal, or threaten to get it).

He killed Primo (the Savior) after failing to get information out of him.

He tried to kill the Kingdom fellow (Daniel) because he assumed he was a Savior.

He threatened to kill Negan after Abraham and Glenn were dead; this could've provoked Negan further.

He "bullied" Spencer, telling him he was weak.

Carl Grimes
    He was mean to Carol after Carol lost her daughter by saying she was stupid for believing in heaven.

He was cold to his mother after the events of "Beside the Dying Fire", siding with his father.

He did nothing to convince Rick or Michonne to stop for the hitchhiker with the orange backpack in "Clear".

He shot a Woodbury kid (Jody) when it was ambiguous whether the kid was disarming himself.

He blamed his father for the loss of the prison and wished him dead.

He locked Enid in a closet to prevent her from coming along on the trip to Hilltop.

He snuck into the Sanctuary and killed some of Negan's men without any sort of plan; this resulted in Negan coming back to the ASZ, which ultimately resulted in Rosita taking a shot at Negan and Olivia geting killed. Carl should've thought about the consequences of launching such an attack.

Daryl Dixon
    He and Merle were planning to rob the quarry group. That's why they were there.

He attacked Rick when Rick was calmly trying to explain what happened to Merle in Atlanta.

He attacked Jim.

He pointed his crossbow at T-Dog.

He tried to kill Jenner with an axe, which would've gotten them all killed had he succeeded.

He's made three racist cracks about Glenn. He called him a "Chinaman" in Vatos. When he said, "I want to see how red your face can get" at the CDC, which is referring to "Asian glow". He also said he knew the driver was Asian because the driver was swerving all over the road in "Beside the Dying Fire" (based on the racist stereotype Asians are bad drivers).

He rode a neo-Nazi bike until the fall of the prison.

He called Carol a bitch twice. He also called her stupid and pathetic.

He blamed Carol for Sophia's death and used her daughter's death to hurt her by reminding her she was "all alone." During this tirade, he approach her in a manner that made her flinch back.

He called Lori a dumb bitch.

He tortured Randall for information.

He called Judith "little Shane".

He pointed a crossbow in Michonne's face and threatened to kill her; Rick had to make him lower the crossbow.

He complained about the group not accepting his racist brother (Merle) after Merle tortured Glenn, expressing discontent they were allowing Michonne back. This was all in front of Glenn who was still sporting the bruises Merle dealt. Daryl then left the group with said racist brother.

He licked his fingers deliberately before shaking Patrick's hand to be rude.

He told Bob it would've been better if he'd never found their group.

He manhandled Beth while drunk, even though she was trying to squirm away, forcing her in front of his body while he fired his crossbow at a walker.

He called Beth a bitch.

He ridiculed Beth for not grieving her dead boyfriends properly and reminded her she was alone.

He made light of Beth's suicide attempt, saying she did it to get attention.

He peed in front of Beth inside the house in "Still", even though Beth told him not to do it.

He joined the Claimers, who were bad people; he even watched them kill a man and did nothing.

He wanted to leave Noah for dead.

He wanted to kill Jesus when they met him in "The Next World".

He mocked Denise's nervous hand gestures.

He underplayed the threat of the Saviors.

He punched Negan after Negan warned the group not to move, which resulted in Glenn getting killed.

Glenn Rhee
    He made Maggie's sexual assault by the Governor more about his own feelings than hers. He rushed off recklessly to kill the Governor.

He said he'd trade any number of people for one of theirs to Hershel.

He was dragging Tara along to find Maggie even though she had a bad ankle.

He punched Abraham for his comment about Maggie being dead. He escalated the situation to violence instead of using his words or walking away.

He kept the fact that Nicholas tried to kill him a secret and vouched for him for the herd plan. Nicholas having established a rap sheet for being a coward and an attempted murderer was not a safe element to have for the delicate herd situation.

Carol Peletier
    She didn't go out to look for Sophia with everyone else. She did at the beginning, but then stopped.

She didn't go to Sophia's funeral.

She criticized Rick's leadership while sitting on the sidelines at Hershel's farm. She wouldn't even cast a vote in the Randall decision.

She held Sophia's death against Rick.

She taught the kids who to use weapons without their parents' permission.

She called Lizzie weak for being unable to put down her dead father.

She killed Karen and David, two members of the group, with the false belief it would stop the spread of the sickness.

She kept quiet about her role in Karen's death when Rick and Tyreese were fighting.

She didn't want to help Sam and Ana in "Indifference".

She left Lizzie with Mika and Judith even after knowing Lizzie was mentally unwell.

She shot a child (Lizzie) in the head.

She tried to abandon the group in "Strangers".

She was in on the plan with Rick to take over the ASZ. She stole guns.

She stole chocolate from the pantry.

She terrorized a child (Sam) in order to facilitate the takeover of Alexandria plan.

She played on Rick's feelings for Jessie to get him to act. (This is arguable.)

She smiled at Rick waving the gun around in "Try".

She told Rick to keep lying to Michonne over the guns they took; she questioned her loyalty.

She killed a tied-up Wolf who wasn't a threat to anyone.

She attacked Morgan and threatened to kill him for hiding the Wolf.

She went to Rick to tell him Maggie shouldn't be on the raid, when it isn't Carol or Rick's place to say who goes on the raid. If Carol wanted to talk to someone, it should've been Maggie or even Glenn.

She abandoned the ASZ during a time of crisis.

She was cold to Morgan after he saved her life.

She stole from the Kingdom.

She hasn't shown much gratitude to Ezekiel for trying to help her.

Morgan Jones
    He couldn't put down his dead wife which resulted in his son's death.

He tried to kill Rick, Carl, and Michonne in "Clear".

He has killed many innocent people during his manic phase, becoming something of a serial killer.

He messed with Rick and Carol's heads with his "all life is precious" mantra.

He protected the Wolves. He even let some go, and those same Wolves almost killed Rick.

He bodyslammed Carol.

He didn't tell anyone what happened in the basement with Carol and the Wolf.

Maggie Greene
    She egged Glenn.

She told Glenn he sucked in bed.

She wanted to keep the barn full of walkers a secret.

She called Lori a bitch and told her to get someone else to fetch her "abortion pills."

She agreed that banishing Carol was the right decision.

She told Hershel not to help the people in quarantine.

She didn't look for Beth after the fall of the prison.

She ditched Bob and Sasha on the road.

She went out to kill Saviors while pregnant, risking the life of her child.

Michonne
    She didn't try particularly hard to convince Andrea the Governor was bad news.

She didn't tell Rick and the group about Andrea at Woodbury, even though she knew Andrea was from their group.

She killed the hermit even though it was his house they were invading.

She put down the Governor's walker daughter even though he was begging her not to do it.

She didn't stop to pick up the hitchhiker in "Clear".

She stole one of Morgan's protein bars. (:lol:)

She kept on the trail of the Governor, wasting resources, even though she admitted the trail went cold. She admitted it was for revenge only.

She scolded Tyreese and called him stupid. "Anger makes you stupid, stupid gets you killed." Later, she told Sasha not to act stupid like her dead brother. She was pretty short with Sasha in general.

She killed stabbed a teenager (Ron) through the chest with her sword.

She hid a gun from Rick and lied about it.

Sasha Williams
    She and Tyreese gave the Governor information about the prison.

She jeopardized the group's life on the road in "Them" when she broke formation to take on walkers head on.

She slashed Abraham with a knife when she lost control fighting walkers.

She told Abraham they weren't friends when he was trying to be nice to her.

She told Noah he wouldn't make it; she blamed him in some ways for Tyreese's death.

She made a rude outburst at Deanna's party.

She went AWOL and gave Rosita and Michonne attitude when they went to bring her back home.

She almost killed Gabriel (though admittedly he was asking her to do it).

Tara Chambler
    She followed the Governor's army to the prison.

She covered up Eugene sabotaging the bus.

She flipped off Rick.

Abraham Ford
    He tried to stop Glenn from finding Maggie; he told Glenn that Maggie was probably dead.

He was going to abandon Carol and Daryl and take the Church bus.

He made Maggie and Glenn leave the group to go with him.

He was sexist about Rosita, calling her a "piece of ass".

He almost killed Eugene.

He tried to cheat on Rosita with Sasha, but Sasha wouldn't allow it.

He underplayed the threat of the Saviors.

He broke up with Rosita very rudely by saying she wasn't the only woman on Earth.

Rosita Espinosa
    She was mean/rude to Eugene when he was scared and trying to learn how to fight.

She called Denise stupid.

She was rude to Spencer.

She encouraged Daryl's rogue wandering in "East".

She bullied Eugene into making a bullet for her.

She attempted to shoot Negan, which resulted in Olivia getting killed.

Eugene Porter
    He lied about having a cure, which resulted in people dying as they tried to get him to D.C.

He shot up a truck to stall.

He told Abraham he was smarter than him.

He sabotaged a bus in order to stall, this resulted in a crash that was almost deadly.

He's a peeping tom.

He was incredibly rude to Abraham, saying his services were no longer required.

Gabriel Stokes
    He locked his flock outside, which resulted in them dying.

He went outside the church in "Coda", which resulted in walkers coming for them. This endangered Carl, Judith, and Michonne.

He ratted on the group to Deanna, being incredibly judgmental of their actions.

He failed to lock the ASZ gate when he went outside.

He begged Sasha to kill him, needling her when she was in a delicate state.

Negan
    Where do I even begin?

--------------------------

I am sure I am missing some moments, but let's fill in the blanks. :rickgrin: Get your hate on!

2. Gekari

Gekari Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Rick Grimes

:gabe: I thought I was alone. Lori must have suffered so much, not only for her guilty, she needed his support that moment I know he was hurt and all, but he was her husband and she was pregnant.

Did you notice most of his list is S3 and S5B-S6A Rick? These specific periods Rick has serious issues, maybe because he was under echoes of post-Lori death PTSD.

I'll read all and comment later.

Note: :obg: Let him die

3. Armte

Armte I Drink and I Know Things
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    Rick had needed her support and love after he confessed that he killed Shane and she ran from him. Lori wouldn't even let Rick touch her, this crushed Rick. Hell Lori barely supported him most of season 2. Rick still provided for her and the baby physically. But Lori killed whatever they had in that scene and it was a long time coming.

ETA - I reread the OP and may not have followed direction because I am defending Rick. :lol:
    If this isn't a defense thread, please delete Doc.

4. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Great idea for a thread Doc...I'll nickname it 'The Purge'. :lol:

I know I'll be adding more but, for now, I'll add Carl's bitchy little remark about Shane teaching him how to tie a knot and then the completely unnecessary snide "Remember him?" as his poor battered guilt ridden father lay helpless on the couch. :sadrick:

And one of the biggest f*ck ups of all....DARYL LEAVING ON HIS MANPAIN TOUR....forcing Glenn and Michonne to chase him with Saviors all around...:tdog:

I struggle with Michonne because she's perfection :flirt: but, other than criticizing her for not embracing her dominatrix side and keeping Rick tied up in bed to serve at her pleasure:bed:, I will have to add that it always annoyed me that she didn't just spill the beans about Maggie and Glenn and the Governor while Rick was interrogating her. I know it was a writing choice to build up tension and drama but Michonne went to the prison to get help for herself and for the two people she just witnessed being kidnapped. Why the coy act? :denise:

#4 MamaGrimes, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  5. winter

winter Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    -I never understood why Michonne didn't tell Rick and the group about Andrea.
    -Carol blaming Rick annoyed my for a looooong time, as did Maggie forgetting about Beth.
    -I was so happy when Michonne punched sense into Rick after his tirade at the Alexandrian's. Although it was good drama, he was being annoying. To be fair to him I suppose he was having trouble adjusting after being too far gone.
    -Carl wanting to run back into that bar full of walkers in his hometown to get a photo annoyed me too. I know this is unfair, but it also annoyed me when he didn't kill the walker that got Dale.
    -Glenn's reaction to Maggie's sexual assault made me dislike him for a long time also. I think it was really only in season 5 that I forgave him..

Mostly, it was characters behaving out of character to fit the plot which I found irritating, eg. Rick pursuing Jessie. Flawed characters like Lori I enjoyed, because that's who they were.

Michele, Rhona, msbold1 and 4 others like this.
  6. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I love Michonne but this list doesn't show she's close to perfect. This list just shows she hasn't been doing much except be the voice of reason for the group.

7. SweetDee85

SweetDee85 Richonne Trash
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    :lol::lol: I was cheering you on.

But mostly about my fave's [Rick and Michonne] problematic ways: IMG_2220.jpg

I forgot Daryl called Carol and Beth bitches, the two women he's shipped with. Interesting.

Michele, luv, winter and 5 others like this.
  8. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I love this. Let me just sit down and get cozy. Everyone is problematic as fuck on this show. That is why it is great. LOL.

9. The Last Big Kat

The Last Big Kat Vengeance For The Plunderers
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    He also later tried to "mend bridges" by telling Glenn he just needed to forgive Merle. Telling anyone that they are expected to forgive a violent racist that tried to kill them is pretty fucked up.

Abe and Daryl both underplayed the Saviors' threat in Knots Untie.

He left Alexandria on a quest for revenge on Dwight, a pointless risk that had three other people chasing after him to bring him back to safety.

As for my perfect and unproblematic faves :gsmile::flirt: I reached deep and came up with some stuff. :lol:

While prioritizing his feelings about Maggie's assault over hers, Glenn recklessly rushed out of the prison on a bid to kill the Governor.

Glenn punched Abraham for his comment about Maggie being dead. He escalated the situation to violence instead of using his words or walking away.

Glenn kept the fact that Nicholas tried to kill him a secret and vouched for him for the herd plan. Nicholas having established a rap sheet for being a coward and an attempted murderer was not a safe element to have for the delicate herd situation.

I guess all the participants of the raid on the Saviors base and people who voted in the church sans Morgan get a morally questionable point.

Looking for the Governor after the trail went cold was a waste of resources, and Michonne admitted that after a while it stopped being about revenge or even necessity. She put herself at risk despite people caring about her for "?" reasons.

Michonne scolded Tyreese and called him stupid. "Anger makes you stupid, stupid gets you killed." Later, she told Sasha not to act stupid like her dead brother. She was pretty short with Sasha in general.

She didn't immediately look for people after the prison fell, choosing to be alone instead of potentially helping people.

Michonne kept her hidden rifle a secret and snuck out to practice.

Both Glenn and Michonne chased after Daryl, putting themselves in a more vulnerable position and leaving the ASZ less defended. Rosita ended up joining Daryl in his revenge quest.

10. SweetDee85

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I am not above pointing out the *bad* in my faves.

Michonne

1. Punched Rick in front of all the Alexandrians [even tho he did deserve it :flirt:]
    2. "Killed" The Governor's Walker Daughter [I have seen this a lot on people who hate Michonne, so I'll add this]
    3. Hid a gun and didn't tell Rick; was looking around sneakily so he wouldn't see.
    Rick
    1. Said he was going to kill Negan AFTER the bashings, knowing full well Abe and Glenn were killed, possibly putting the line up in even more danger.
    2. Killed one of the leftover saviors that Carol killed in 2.3 seconds when he wouldn't give him any information.

11. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    You're welcome to defend if you want. :lol: I don't think there's any rules.

12. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I love Glenn...Lord Knows I do (lol), but there has to be a couple more things wrong with him.

For instance, some people would point to the fact that his drive and single-mindedness to get to Maggie despite the odds was reckless and put people in danger.

Also, him choosing not to disclose how horrible Nicholas was (trying to kill him outside of the walls) except to Maggie, was actually bad for the group as a whole especially when it came down to having to depend on this unstable man to reorient the herd away from Alexandria. Maybe Nicholas would have been out and out banned from participating in the plan like Father Gabriel was by Rick.

Also, the way Rick was cold to Father Gabriel in the first half of season 6 was just brutal (and hilarious) and extremely petty. Ripping down the guys signs regarding the prayer circle. I mean...come on. LOL

ReeciePiecey, C-Ben, Katbird and 3 others like this.
  13. SweetDee85

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I admit, some of the things on the list @Doctor Grimes wrote made me laugh. I was in a fit of giggles and we are driving back home from out of town and my brother was looking at me crazy. :lol:

14. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Sorry but Michonne insulting Rick's beard remains unforgivable to me. :andy:

Really though, this makes me think about how subjective a lot of these things are. Like there are "bad" things on this list that I'd do myself were I in the situation so IDGAF :lol:. A lot of them are also issues I've seen rehashed in this fandom 4000 times over. "This thing is bad." "No it isn't." "Yes it is and you need to think so." At some point people just need to realize that they won't agree and stop beating the dead horse.

15. The Last Big Kat

The Last Big Kat Vengeance For The Plunderers
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Rick being best friends with "sexist comment every two seconds" Shane is a little side-eye worthy. :daleeye:

16. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Basically. :lol: Mostly what everyone said. :p But I'll give my opinions and scenes and thoughts too of what I can remember.

And didn't Maggie point a gun at Michonne along with Rick after they went to Woodbury to rescue Gleggie.

Michonne could be almost too silent. She didn't confide in Andrea as much as I thought she should have about her past.

It did kind of bother me that they (Rick, Michonne, Carl) didn't pick up OBG.

Daryl being downright nasty to Carol and Beth. Two people like someone said he's shipped with.

Rick almost giving up Michonne to the governor. Yes, he didn't. Yes, he apologized. Michonne understood why. But there's always I'ma tiny spot in my mind that still side-eyes Rick. Cause I like to hold grudges. :lol:

Rick ripping down FG prayer flyers. If people want to still believe let them. FG wasn't telling people they had to go or still believe, hence the flyers. Rick was being an ass.

Who in the world is Bob Lamson? I don't remember this dude.

17. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Since everyone has flaws, I don't think any of these actions are out of character for each person. A perfect person is a boring character, just because its not realistic.

I would have said except for Rick's behavior is 5B/6A, but then we have to remember, as @The Last Big Kat pointed out, Rick was best friends with Shane's shady a$$. Maybe Rick is one of those people that are upgraded or downgraded by the company they keep, lol. Lori wasn't the best partner for him and Shane wasn't the most optimal of friends so he acts accordingly? idk

It's funny, as I read some of these lists I gritted my teeth. Especially with Daryl, which goes back to my constant wonder at why people even liked him in the beginning. I DID NOT. My affection for Daryl increased as time went on.

QueenOfAlexandria, luv, C-Ben and 5 others like this.
  18. box5angel

Patron

Walker Pets:
    I remember when I wasn't in the fandom and I read on Twitter how people were mad at Michonne for killing Penny. People get more mad over that then they do for Carol killing Lizzie a human being who killed her own sister so she could turn into a walker. Or any of them at Hershel's farm killing his walker family or Rick killing Sophia. :sasha:

I don't get it. Yes, that was the governor's daughter. But she was a walker, she was still a threat. Tied up or not. She still could bite. Maybe people thought it wasn't Michonne's "right" to kill her because Penny was his daughter but I don't get it.

#18 box5angel, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  19. box5angel

Patron

Walker Pets:
    I agree.

Rick, Shane, and Lori all knew each other since high school. So they definitely knew their faults and attitudes. Shane, I believe was always like that. Lori with how she is with Rick (downbeating him, looking down on him for certain decisions, etc ) showing little bit of it in high school but after they got married, it showed a little more gradually and got really built up through the years.

QueenOfAlexandria, Rhona and Denie39 like this.
  20. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah, the first scene with them in the car was hard to get through, and I remember thinking Rick had questionable taste in friends. When Rick's like, "the difference between men and women" and tells his story about him and Lori, it just made me go :denise: That's the difference between you and Lori, bud.

I did like Rick chiming in that he's the one who forgets to turn off the lights. Made me chuckle.