1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Your favourite Rick speech

Discussion in 'Rick / Andrew Lincoln' started by Kordas, Nov 23, 2016.

?

What is your favourite Rick speech?

1. 2x01 "Slim chances are better than none"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2x12 "That's how we honor Dale"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2x13 "This isn't a democracy anymore"

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  4. 3x15 "I'm not your Governor"

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. 4x08 "We're not too far gone"

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  6. 5x10 "We are the walking dead"

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. 5x15 "You fight or you die"

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. 5x16 "We'll survive; I'll show you how"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 6x09 "I wanna show you the new world, Carl"

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  10. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Kordas

Kordas Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Rick likes his speeches - we know that. Some of them are iconic, some of them not quite. But they're all delivered by Rick in the way only he can. Do you have your favourite Rick speech? If so, which one is it? Maybe it's not listed here?

2x01 "Slim chances are better than none"
    "I guess I'm losing hope that you can hear me. But there's always that chance, isn't there? That slim chance. It's all about slim chances now. I tried to do everything right, keep people safe. I tried, Morgan. I tried. Our group's smaller now. We lost another, day before last. It was her choice. I won't say I blame her, but she lost faith. The CDC was a dead end. I met a man there, a scientist. He told me something. He told me... It doesn't matter. What matters is we're moving on. Atlanta's done. We're gonna try for Fort Benning. We're facing a long hard journey, maybe even harder than I can imagine. But it can't be harder than our journey's been so far. Can it? 125 miles-- That's what lies ahead. And I'm trying hard not to lose faith. I can't. If I do, the others... My family, my wife... my son. There's just a few of us now. So we've got to stick together, fight for each other, be willing to lay down our lives for each other if it comes to that. It's the only chance we've got. Be careful out there, Morgan. I hope you and Duane are okay. Stay off the road. Keep moving. Keep your eyes open. I don't know, just-- just be safe. Maybe we'll see you in Fort Benning someday. Rick signing off."

2x12 "That's how we honor Dale"
    "Dale could-- could get under your skin. He sure got under mine, because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought, how he felt. That kind of honesty is rare and brave. Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look at Dale. He'd be looking back at me with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another. I couldn't always read him, but he could read us. He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us-- The truth... Who we really are. In the end, he was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group was broken. The best way to honor him is to unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together, st feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives... Our safety... ...our future. We're not broken. We're gonna prove him wrong. From now on... We're gonna do it his way. That is how we honor Dale."

2x13 "This isn't a democracy anymore"
    "I am doing something! I'm keeping this group together, alive. I've been doing that all along, no matter what. I didn't ask for this. I killed my best friend for you people, for Christ's sake! You saw what he was like, how he pushed me, how he compromised us, how he threatened us. He staged the whole Randall thing, led me out to put a bullet in my back. He gave me no choice. He was my friend, but he came after me. My hands are clean. Maybe you people are better off without me. Go ahead. I say there's a place for us, but maybe... maybe it's just another pipe dream. Maybe... maybe I'm fooling myself again. Why don't you... Why don't you go and find out yourself? Send me a postcard. Go on, there's the door. You can do better? Let's see how far you get. No takers? Fine. But get one thing straight... you're staying. This isn't a democracy anymore."

3x15 "I'm not your Governor"
    "When I met with the Governor, he offered me a deal. He said-- he said he would leave us alone if I gave him Michonne. And I was gonna do that... to keep us safe. I changed my mind. But now Merle took Michonne to fulfill the deal and Daryl went to stop him and I don't know if it's too late. I was wrong not to tell you. And I'm sorry. What I said last year, that first night after the farm... it can't be like that. It can't. What we do, what we're willing to do, who we are, it's not my call. It can't be. I couldn't sacrifice one of us for the greater good because we are the greater good. We're the reason we're still here, not me. This is life and death. How you live... how you die-- it isn't up to me. I'm not your Governor. We choose to go. We choose to stay. We stick together. We vote. We can stay and we can fight or we can go."

4x08 "We're not too far gone"
    "Look, I'm not saying it's gonna be easy. Fact is, it's gonna be a hell of a lot harder than standing here shooting at each other. But I don't think we have a choice. (...) We're not leaving. You try and force us, we'll fight back. Like you said, the gunshots will just bring more of them out. They'll take down the fences. Without the fences, this place is worthless. Now, we can all live in the prison or none of us can. (...) You. You in the ponytails. Is this what you want? Is this what any of you want? (...) Look, I fought him before. And after, we took in his old friends. They've become leaders in what we have here. Now you put down your weapons, walk through those gates... you're one of us. We let go of all of it, and nobody dies. Everyone who's alive right now. Everyone who's made it this far. We've all done the worst kinds of things just to stay alive. But we can still come back. We're not too far gone. We get to come back. I know... we all can change."

5x10 "We are the walking dead"
    "When I was a kid... I asked my grandpa once if he ever killed any Germans in the war. He wouldn't answer. He said that was grown-up stuff, so... so I asked if the Germans ever tried to kill him. But he got real quiet. He said he was dead the minute he stepped into enemy territory. Every day he woke up and told himself, "Rest in peace. Now get up and go to war." And then after a few years of pretending he was dead... he made it out alive. That's the trick of it, I think. We do what we need to do and then we get to live. But no matter what we find in DC, I know we'll be okay. Because this is how we survive. We tell ourselves... that we are the walking dead."

5x15 "You fight or you die"
    "You still don't get it. None of you do! We know what needs to be done and we do it. We're the ones who live. You, you just sit and plan and hesitate. You pretend like you know when you don't. You wish things weren't what they are. Well, you want to live? You want this place to stay standing? Your way of doing things is done. Things don't get better because you-- you want them to. Starting right now, we have to live in the real world. We have to control who lives here. (...) Your way is gonna destroy this place. It's gonna get people killed. It's already gotten people killed. And I'm not gonna stand by and just let it happen. If you don't fight, you die. I'm not gonna stand by--"

5x16 "We'll survive; I'll show you how"
    "I didn't bring it in. It got inside on its own. They always will-- the dead and the living, because we're in here. And the ones out there... ...they'll hunt us. They'll find us. They'll try to use us. They'll try to kill us. But we'll kill them. We'll survive. I'll show you how. You know, I was thinking-- I was thinking how many of you do I have to kill to save your lives? But I'm not gonna do that. You're gonna change. I'm not sorry for what I said last night. I'm sorry for not saying it sooner. You're not ready, but you have to be. Right now, you have to be. Luck runs out."

6x09 "I wanna show you the new world, Carl"
    "I was wrong. I thought after living behind these walls for so long that... maybe they couldn't learn. But today... I saw what they could do, what we could do, if we work together. We'll rebuild the walls. We'll expand the walls. There will be more. There's gotta be more. Everything Deanna was talking about... is possible. It's all possible. I see that now. When I was out there... with them... when it was over... when I knew we had this place again... I had this feeling. It took me a while to remember what it was... because I haven't felt it since before I woke up in that hospital bed. I want to show you the new world, Carl. I want to make it a reality for you. Please, Carl... let me show you. Plea-- please, son, don't die."

2. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Nothing beats the Ricktatorship speech for me.

[​IMG]

I am fond of "We are the walking dead" I loved hearing Rick talk about his grandfather but then the oil slick had to go and ruin it. :grumpy:

3. Silas

Silas Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm going with Ricktatorship speech too. Some of the others were pretty damn great but I felt that one in my bones. All those assholes giving Rick hell needed to hear it and it was so f'ing satisfying to watch.

4. Rickscolt

Rickscolt Eating your protein bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    My favourite is hands down "We're not too far gone", Hershel was so proud!

5. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Hands down, 2x13 aka Ricktatorship. I need to watch that again. :lol:

tuswig likes this.
  6. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Definitely the Ricktatorship. He pawned errrryboddyyy in that glorious scene! The "send me a postcard " line gets me fired up! AL was awesome in those scenes. Rick let TF peeps know if they could do better then go do it their damned selves and.be. gone. But if not? STFU, have several seats, he was in charge, and to get over themselves. The looks on everyones faces was PRICELESS and no one said boo afterwards! Classic Rick and epic smackdown!

I also enjoyed "We are not too far Gone ", "Not your Govenor " (since he couldn't and wouldn't give up Michonne and realized his error in judgement) and "And I wanna show you a New World " since this is when Rick let the Lori ghost finally die and was able to move on from his past and look to his future. Good stuff!

#6 ALDGRichonneLover, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  7. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    If Rick would have said, "have several seats", I would have fell out. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

8. Minty

Minty Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    4x08 and 6x09, I like hopeful speeches. The first one didn't end well, but it was a good speech anyway. lol

MamaGrimes likes this.
  9. vicarious70

vicarious70 Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I have too agree, their expectations of Rick were a bit over the top. To come at him like they did was just wrong.

box5angel, MrsG, tuswig and 1 other person like this.
  10. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    "We're not too far gone", "We are the walking dead", and "I wanna show you the new world, Carl". I'm a sucker for uplifting, emotional speeches. I love the speeches where he's grappling with his humanity, and there's this glimmer of hope.

MamaGrimes and Katbird like this.
  11. SweetDee85

SweetDee85 Richonne Trash
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    My absolute favorite is 2x13, the start of the Ricktatorship. It was so masterful. I was so glad he put all them ungrateful little shits in their places. I swear every time I see/hear that speech, I get moist.:rickgrin:

#11 SweetDee85, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  12. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I love the Ricktatorship speech especially when he said "send me a postcard" I swear everyone is screaming at him to so something, to protect them, but he is just as damned scared as they are.

13. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    One of my favorites was him in the church during season one. He was talking to god even though he had no faith and the parallels between him and Jesus were profound yet subtle. It was a real look into his soul. He talked about his motivations. I don't have the script but it is an often overlooked scene that set up his character perfectly.

14. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    That one is really good. I have always liked it a lot. He was feeling so alone, so caught out. He believes, kinda, but has lost/has no faith. "I try not to mix it up with the Almighty." He refers to the conversation/pray when he is talking to Hershel at the farm.
    For me the Ricktator speech is my favorite. He is such a reluctant leader and it is not going well, so being able to go on and say that, is very brave. He has a lot of courage. Telling them, "There's the door!" and "Send me a postcard!" It revealed why he is the leader. They needed him to say that. They would all have died then, except maybe Daryl, if he hadn't held them together until he, they, became Team Family, until they learned how to survive, with his guidance, until they got the chance to live.
    Sidebar: It is Carol, and Maggie doing the urging to act, do something in that scene. The two women who learn the most from him.
    Second Sidebar: I always laugh a bit when he blurts out he killed Shane. Their faces-- classic. I always expect one of them to say as he winds down and walks away: " Uhh...what did he just say? Did he just say something about killing Shane?" It's heavy drama, but it makes me laugh a little.

15. richonneromance

richonneromance Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Tough vote but "I'm not your Governor" has always resonated most with me. I'm all for Rick realising he'll never be evil like some of the horrible people in the world and pulling right back to his true self again because of it. So obviously close second is the too far gone speech.

MrsG, MamaGrimes and WoodEroc76 like this.
  16. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This one is easy for me. I loved and will always love Rick's 'Too Far Gone' speech.

[​IMG]
    There is so much in this speech. Here is a man who had given up leadership in order to show his son a less violent path in life. He was providing for his community, many of whom were people saved from the very sociopathic leader who was now aiming a tank at their door. Here is a man who had put down his gun and was now forced to pick it back up to defend the home he had worked so hard to build. I love what this speech says about Rick Grimes. He's a man willing to do the 'worse kind of things' to protect his family but who still holds onto threads of morality and humanity. Who fights with every breath he has to hold onto civilization, not for himself, but for the people he loves and he has sworn to protect.

In addition to the content and the meaning in the speech, I loved Rick's desperation to talk the Governor out of executing Hershel and Michonne. I loved the sit on the edge of your seats tension, Hershel's validation of Rick with the smile and 'at peace' expression he gives him and I loved that this speech is both an ending to one chapter in Rick's life and the beginning of another.

A very very close second choice for me is the Ricktatorship speech. There is something so damn sexy about feral, out of f*cks to give Rick and I remember cheering him on the first time I watched that scene. He was schooling his ungrateful, neophyte group and was just DONE. That scene is also on my list of frequent re-watches and I have a feeling we'll be seeing a little bit of both speeches and versions of Rick by the end of this season and next.

17. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    6x09 "I wanna show you the new world, Carl" was great, but I have to go with 2x13 "This isn't a democracy anymore"... That's my favorite, for sure. Yes to the Ricktatorship. The rest of the group really needed to hear those words.

MrsG, MamaGrimes and Katbird like this.
  18. Walkingonsunshine

Walkingonsunshine The Ones Who Live
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Hands down for me the Ricktatorship speech. I hated season 2 because there was so much internal dysfunction and everyone seemed to want to be preachy and whiny. Rick's speech was a long time coming that season and he said all the things that needed to be said to a group of whiny babies who still haven't quite grasped the entire concept of the apocalypse. That episode is the episode I became Team Rick and never looked back (well except for 5b/6a). That was an Emmy worthy speech especially since it just followed Rick getting the cold shoulder from Lori the person who he thought would have his back regardless.

19. WoodEroc76

WoodEroc76 Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    For me, it was the "I'm Not Your Governor" followed by the "We're Not Too Far Gone" speech. Thanks for this thread! I needed some fighting Rick after the last couple of episodes. Rick will be back and I can't wait to hear his "All Out War" speech at/towards the end of the season!

ALDGRichonneLover likes this.
  20. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I always gotta go for the classic Ricktator speech. When he snarls, "Send me a postcard!" it never fails to make me laugh. Also, it was such a long time coming.